Join our zoo community

Zoo Cup for new England facilities.

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by Neil chace, 30 Aug 2018.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This zoo cup matchup is for New England zoos, aquariums and similar places. Here are the contendors-
    Roger Williams Park Zoo
    Capron Park Zoo
    Buttonwood Park Zoo
    Franklin Park Zoo
    Stone Zoo
    Southwick's Zoo
    Maine Wildlife Park
    Squam Lakes Science Center
    Echo Leahy center for lake Champlain
    Mystic Aquarium
    New England Aquarium
    Lupa Zoo
    Conneticuts Beardsley Zoo
    Woods Hole Aquarium
    World War 1 Memorial Petting Zoo
    Boston Science Museum

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Though we understand your enthusiasm, you are currently somewhat overenthusiastic and the original Zoochat cups success for example was based on the clear rules and a large audience that was interested. New England is a rather limited geographical area, but the main problem is that there is no clear rulebook at all and what is clear with all ideas that are copied one way or another, the ones that are most thought through are the biggest success. Thinking things through often means weeks of preparation before posting to do it right.

11 years ago when I found out about the existence of zoo forums I was the happiest teenager in the world. I was just as enthusiastic as you are know, but the thing is that in my enthusiasm I forgot that the more senior members of the forum thought I was spamming and got annoyed (I didn't use interpunction at that time either). There is a nice short overview of how Forum etiquette works and what is considered "good" behavior, even though you are not breaking any rules, over here:
    Guidelines for Beginners

The sad truth is that often overenthusiastic members, who can provide a lot of value are seen as annoying by the more senior members and it then takes time to gain back general respect and goodwill. The best thing to do is with every post you want to post, to think beforehand whether it has any value to the other members or whether it is something that might be better not to post in a hurry. I know this post may sound a bit harsh, but it really is well-meant advice of somebody who made the same mistakes.