Join our zoo community

Paris Zoological Park Zoo de Vincennes Paris News

Discussion in 'France' started by Susan Humphreys, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Susan Humphreys

Susan Humphreys Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I have posted some old photographs I took November 2006 in the zoo of the plans, not sure if anyone else had pics of them.
    Susan:D

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Nice Susan, looks like they love their Lemurs, cool

3. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Oh wow thanks susan. I Went in August and completly missed the plans!!

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Moribund, pushing up daisies, ceased to be .. whenever Paris Vincennes Zoo is mentioned the air reeks of death and destruction. Sincere thanks must go to Paris Municipality and the Sarkozy/Chirac governments for coming to the rescue of its main proponent of French zoo architecture and for .... sake the national zoo of France! :mad: What a damn shame that it is to shut for 3 whole years from 2009 (yet no sign of the cash to redesign or make-over the zoo big time).

Pedro, please please .. tell us what is happening in your neck of the woods?

5. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Well, I think I will have to disappoint you Jelle... The only news I can give you for now is that they try to send their animals away to close down the park completely and (try to) start re-building...
    But there's still no info about what will be built, how much will that cost, and which species will be on show there....
    I will try to go there soon to see if I can have further information..
    Else the Propithecus coronatus are still breeding, a baby was born last december I think ;)

6. Yoman35

Yoman35 Well-Known Member

Kibongo is a male Propithecus verreauxi coronatus and he was born before christmas

7. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

Amazing Pictures of Proposed renovation of Vincennes

Hi

I don't know if this has been posted but I saw some excellent pictures in an architectural blog describing the proposed renovation of the Zoo de Vincennes. Thought I would pass it on. Here's the link.

BLDGBLOG: Simulated Environments for Animals

Eric
    Portland, Oregon

8. Yoman35

These achievements will not be realized.

The Zoo de Vincennes will close on November 21, 2008.

9. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

Wish i had read this last week! Just comeback from a last minute long weekend away in Paris. Had a few hours to kill yesterday morning so thought quick trip to the zoo. Plan started good, only £1.50 for metro from the other side of the city. Only to find nearest underground station was closed for 3 months refurbishment. Anyway had a long walk round zoo perimeter looking in a what I could see. Could smell a lot more than managed to see.
    In my limited French (bonjour and various hand signals) spoke to guard on trade entrance gate. Couldnt get myself in saying I worked in UK zoo but did walk away thinking he said something about the zoo being closed for 5 years.

So had a look through the fence of the Pinder and Arlette Gruss circuses at the groups of lions tigers and elephants on way back to the metro.

Am now very curious on what I missed and what will happen. There is clearly a fair number of animals still onsite.

10. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All the remaining animals will are being relocated to other zoos either permently or on loan apart from their large herd of giraffe and their broad nosed bamboo lemurs which will remain there during reconstruction :)

11. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What reconstruction? The reports seem contradictory--will the massive plans linked in this thread be implemented, or is there another more modest renovation in the works?

Very curious--the idea of a major zoo in a major city closing forever is almost unprecedented.

12. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

the zoo only closed completely a few days ago. I believe the weekend of the 29th was the last opening weekend.

several animals have already moved to other zoos and more will do so over the next months.

how and when the zoo will re-open is still unclear. theoretically it should be 2012. Only drawback is, there's nothing known of fundings for the constructions. at least not on the french forum I visit.

13. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

14. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

as far as I can tell, these are still based on the original plans.
    Those were very inovative, but also very expensive.

If they pull it off, it puts vincennes right in the top 3 of best zoos.
    but untill they find sufficient resources, I'm afraid it's just a dream.

15. Yoman35

This project has been canceled because too expensive. The project is still on stand-by

16. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

If anyone can help me, I'm putting together a database with statistics of some of the world's top zoos. Essentially, I need the annual attendance figure for the Zoo de Vincennes (in Paris):

Can anyone help me?

17. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

I am guessing at zero for 2009.

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The finance is now in place to start work on the renovation of the zoo.
    Officials finally announced a euro133-million ($181-million) overhaul through a public-private partnership, which they hope will create a zoo befitting one of the world's most beautiful cities.
    Since the zoo shut down in 2008, most of its animals have been sent to animal parks abroad. The giraffes, a tight-knit group, stayed behind — they travel best when young, and smaller and easier to transport, the zoo said.

Some animals were sent to Algeria in June, with help from the North African country's army. French motorcycle police accompanied the convoy to the airport, cutting off traffic on Paris' ring road to ensure their safe passage.

A hippo named Pelagie was supposed to be with them. But though she had practiced stepping into her shipping crate for weeks, she grew frightened once inside and banged the box up. The zoo is still looking for a home for her and her partner, Rodolphe, who stayed behind with her.

With much ado, main Paris zoo at last gets redo - latimes.com

19. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

An overhaul of $181 million is amazing for a zoo, but since zero major work has been completed since 1934 then obviously this is one badly outdated zoo. I'm surprised that the giraffes get to stay as the construction is going to take four years!

20. alexpe8

alexpe8 Active Member 15+ year member

For the giraffes, the reason is simple, it is the largest group of giraffes purest in Europe and it would be silly to separate them, again, transportation is difficult.