Join our zoo community

Paris Zoological Park Zoo de Vincennes Paris News

Discussion in 'France' started by Susan Humphreys, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A lot of ZooChatter would actually find this to be a good thing.

2. Arizona Docent

The map was too small for me to read the listings - can someone provide a hotlink to it? However, if the above quote is true, that would be unbelievable. A cat fanatic like me would be there in a minute if they had the former of the two!

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  3. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

4. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are getting manatees in the Madagascar/Guyana tropical house.
    I really don't believe they'll ever have Iberian lynx, even the Spanish zoos aren't allowed to have them.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They list fossa as being in the Madagascar house and the Equatorial Africa section. Typo?

6. Arizona Docent

I noticed that too. Personally, I think the equatorial africa exhibit should have african golden cats instead. :D

I assume on the lynx they put both so that they can start with european lynx and down the line if the iberians reproduce enough to start putting a couple on display, they can switch.

And thanks for the bigger link.

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

this is looking very, very, very good now, atleast everything is concrete and we can hope for the best in the future!

8. Arizona Docent

I sure hope you are wrong about everything being concrete. I would like to see some grass and natural substrates in there! :p

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I sincerely doubt they will get them either - and if they did, I suspect they would be there for offshow breeding only.

If they *did* end up with them onshow somehow, it would become a must see zoo for those alone ;)

10. Cat-Man

You know full well that wasn't what I meant;)

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The latter quip ain't right: it sure is not a question of not being allowed to! Zoobotanico de Jerez DO have a breeding pair of Iberian lynx (which is part of the species conservation breeding and recovery effort), if in the off show conservation breeding zone.

Now whether the zoo in Paris Vincennes would have them really depends on them having Y/N (good) contacts with Spain's conservation bodies. For the Iberian wolf there is an EEP and so acquiring a group is not too difficult (it is more that most zoos really are not much into getting this subspecies ... unjustly I think).

For Iberian lynx: the population in captivity is growing at a satisfactory rate, first conservation reintroductions into the wild have started, the programme has expanded into Portugal with opening of 2 more breeding stations. So, to me ... it really depends on whether a conglomerate of zoos IS interested in acquiring the subspecies and at the same time involving / committing themselves to the recovery effort, for them to be given the opportunity by the Spanish led project to have Iberian lynx.

Back on topic: the plan and species list look ambitious! It sure will never look like the old Paris de Vincennes Zoo I knew ... :)

12. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

true, but we don't count as the average joe public.
    you have to have some croud pleasers like elephants and the likes.

as they're starting a whole new zoo, it could have been a great opportunity to set up a few elephant bull enclosures. lord knows the EEP can use the space. several zoos are taking in juvenile bulls, but at some point we'll need the space for adults too.

13. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps I was being a little hasty. I know Jerez has them but they are off show. Perhaps the programme is reaching a point where placing some animals in zoos can be considered. I would expect that they will be seen in Madrid, Barcelona or Lisbon before they reach Paris though.

I agree, now that there is steady breeding of Asian elephants the problem of the increasing population of bulls is only going to get worse. But the new Paris Zoo does not have an Asian area in the current plan. Do you know if this is the final plan or does the zoo hope to expand into the surrounding parkland in the future?

14. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I don't see iberian lynx outside of spain the first 5-10 years. I highly doubt they will even be visible IN Spain in that period.

@Pygathrix: I sincerely hope they have plans for the future. as I stated earlier, in todays touristic climate, a zoo is never finished and you constantly have to renovate and open new exhibits to keep people interested. So who knows, maybe there will be an asian zone in a few years.

But I find it a missed opportunity they haven't included a zone for asian elephants in particular. doesn't have to be much right now, just the elephants, maybe combined with some deer or blackbucks would make both visitors and the EEP happy. But it's harder to plan in such an enclosure at a later point than it would have been now.

15. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

There´s almost zero chances of Vincennes getting Iberian Lynxes in the near future. As already said, it´s easier if they show up in Jerez, Madrid, Lisbon, Avintes or Barcelona, but still i don´t see it as easy as the iberian wolf.

16. Cat-Man

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know if this link will work for non-members of the French zoo forum Actu'zoo, but today alexpe8, also a member here, attended a press day at the park and has compiled a fascinating report, with some excellent photographs from all the areas in the park, showing work coming along at a terrific pace, highlights for me are the pics of the massive "La grande serre" (the greenhouse) and the in-situ giraffe herd.
    The park is scheduled to open to the public in Spring 2014.

[Zoo de Vincennes] Visite du chantier

If the link doesn't work, sign up!

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks much Kiang. The link worked for me and Google Translate made it readable. They have a very nice herd of giraffes. The plans for the zoo look quite impressive. It's too bad that they don't have room for a herd of Loxodonta cyclotis like they used to have from what I've read, but giraffes, manatees, sifakas, et al. will be a nice collection in first class exhibits it looks like.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2012
  19. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new plan really does look exciting and I thank the guy who went today and posted the overview. :)
    If they pull it off and get the complete species list then Paris will no longer be for the lovers, it'll be the the city of Zoochatters! :p

20. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if they are currently building the african rainforest or saving it for a future phase?