Join our zoo community

Paris Zoological Park Zoo de Vincennes Paris News

Discussion in 'France' started by Susan Humphreys, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't worry too much about that. According to Zootierliste, there are quite a lot of zoos with elephant, big bears and tigers.

Below is a list of zoos with these groups; French zoos are in parentheses. Please note that some zoos have more than one subspecies.

Elephants: Asian 75 (8), Javan 1 (0), Malayan 1 (0), Southeast Asian 37 (2), Sri Lankan 7 (0), Sumatran 2 (0)
    African 11 (0), East African bush 11 (4), South African 47 (7)

Big Bears: American black 33 (8)
    Brown 69 (3), American grizzly 7 (0), European brown 158 (13), Himalayan brown 4 (0), Kamchatka brown 10 (1), Kodiak 5 (0), Syrian brown 24 (2), Ussuri brown 4 (0)
    Polar 53 (6)

Tigers: General 128 (22); Bengal 2 (0), Malayan 8 (2), Siberian 151 (13), Sumatran 49 (9)

I'd like to see some new species at Vincennes and I like the idea of Iberian lynxes.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The plan is to use the area alloted for the equatorial Africa biome and will initially be used as a quarantine/holding area for the initial stocking of the zoo.

3. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Do you know if that is where the giraffes are currently being held?

4. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think there is a problem with the lack of abc animals, they have lions, giraffe, gorilla, plus animals, perhaps not abc, but ones that the public will appreciate & come back for - eg, jaguar, cougar, manatee, lynx etc. Does anyone else know a complete list of planned species? I can't translate the map. I hope they will one day expandinto nabouring parkland and add an asian zone, does seem like quite a big miss!

5. Dassie rat

Hallo Catman

I've had a look at the map and I've used Google and my limited knowledge of French to produce the following list:

Madagascar: Grey and broad-nosed gentle lemurs, crowned sifaka, fossa, Livingstone's flying fox, radiated tortoise, lemurs
    Free flight aviary: Blue and crested couas, blue pigeon, Madagascar partridge, crested ibis, Nephila orb-web spider
    Mangrove: Mudskipper, fiddler crab
    Vivaium: Reptiles and amphibians

Guyana: Giant anteater, manatee, jaguar, Brazilian tapir, capybara, hyacinthe macaw, white-faced saki, tamarin, green iguana, toco toucan, grey-winged trumpeter, marmoset, arapaima, piranha, bush dog, coati, Blumenbach's curassow, howler monkey, yellow-breasted capuchin
    Free flight aviary: Hummingbird, roseate spoonbill, scarlet ibis
    Vivarium (reptiles, amphibians and insects)

Patagonia: Patagonian puma, northern pudu, Humboldt's penguin, Darwin's rhea, guanaco, mara, South American sealion or South American fur seal,

Equatorial Africa: Roloway monkey, Congo peafowl, fossa. okapi, red-capped mangabey, black-and-white casqued hornbill, bongo, bush pig or red river hog, western lowland gorilla, guereza, vivarium, pygmy hippopotamus

Sahel Sudan: Western giraffe, suricate, greater kudu, goliath heron, red-headed ostrich, African spurred tortoise, marabou, black crowned crane, addax, West African lion, scimitar-horned oryx, white rhinoceros, Grevy's zebra, Abyssinian hornbill, secretary bird, Guinea baboon
    Vivarium of Shel Sudan: reptiles and invertebrates

Europe: Spanish or European lynx, griffon, Egyptian and cinereous vultures, bald ibis, red kite, European otter, Vivarium (reptiles and amphibians), Iberian or European wolf, wolverine

Waterfowl: Jabiru, sacred ibis, yellow-billed and Abdim's storks, African and white spoonbills, little egret, greater flamingo

There's quite an eclectic mix there and a few species that I haven't seen before.

6. Cat-Man

Really appreciate that dassie rat, thankyou!:) looks like a nice mix of species for them to start with! Will certasinly worth a future visit!

7. Dassie rat

Thanks Cat-Man.

That was a quick reply. The revamped zoo is aiming for an interesting collection and I hope that it does well. I wonder if it means changes in the Menagerie or whether some species will be kept in both collections.

If you go to Paris in 2014, I recommend the National Library. It's by the side of the Pompidou Centre and often stays open late. It's got a large natural history section, including several good animal books in English. It was a nice surprise when I went there last year.

8. Cat-Man

Thanks for the advice, if do make it to Paris one day, all 3 attractions will certainly be top priority! It is a shame that there is no bear speices planned, however, I'm sure that may change in the future! Will the large rock be used does anyone know?:)

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The major species missing from these areas are otter-shrews and other tenrec species:D

10. Dassie rat

Thanks Cat-Man

I also recommend the bookshops near St-Michel Notre Dame. It's also quite a good area for a cheap meal (10 Euros for 3 courses). Be careful with the nearby Pizzeria. I translated a noticeboard that seemed to offer a Pizza for 1 Euro if you paid full price for the first one. My friend wasn't impressed when a membr of staff pointed out that this was only for a take away and the pizza was rather runny as it wasn't cooked long enough to be eaten from a box.

11. Dassie rat

Hallo David

I'd have liked to see them as well. A few years ago, London Zoo was trying to consider West African species for Gorilla Kingdom. I suggested otter shrews and rock fowl, but they didn't appear in the plans.

I'm wondering about the 'lemurs' at the eastern side of the planned Madagascar area. The first time I visited Vincennes, there was a Nocturnal Lemur House and a Diurnal Lemur House. Species I've seen at the zoo include the aye-aye, broad-nosed gentle lemur, fork-marked dwarf lemur, crowned sifaka and red-tailed sportive lemur i.e representatives of all the families of extant lemurs. Unfortunately, I never saw the hairy-eared dwarf lemur, despite returning to the Nocturnal Lemur House a few times during a visit 10 or so years ago.

12. Cat-Man

Would be a shame if the world class lemur collection wasn't the same after the rennovations!

13. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Certainly they mean Southern Pudu, not Northern Pudu!? Otherwise that'd be very exciting! As would Spanish Lynx, if that ends up happening!

14. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

I saw that too. If Pudu mephistopheles is in captivity anywhere I'd be very interested in seeing them.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see Guinea Baboon is on the list. I wonder if that means they will take back the whole group that went to Edinburgh, or just a breeding nucleus from it perhaps? It seems Edinburgh might be happy to see them leave now as they seem to have fulfilled their main purpose there- of filling an empty exhibit(the old Gorilla House) until it was redone for the Pandas.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They have been breeding so fast at Edinburgh their numbers might just replenish as quickly as they get removed ;)

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Same at Port Lympne who had previously taken part of their group too. Not sure if Vincennes will take some back from both places, or just Edinburgh.

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If they took all the baboons from both collections I think they'd have about 50% of the European population of the species :p I don't know exact numbers, but last time I visited Edinburgh there must have been at least 20 baboons total, about half of which were juveniles of varying ages.

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member