Join our zoo community

Paris Zoological Park Zoo de Vincennes Paris News

Discussion in 'France' started by Susan Humphreys, 27 Feb 2008.

1. EmperorTamarin

EmperorTamarin Well-Known Member

Two Crowned Sifakas (Propithecus Coronatus), have been transferred from Apenheul Primate Park (The Netherlands), to Zoo de Vincennes about a week ago. Their names are Daholo (Male, born 2009) and Efatra (Female, born 2011) and are both immediate descents from the pair (Minos & Holly) that were transferred from Vincennes to Apenheul back in 2008. :)

2. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Still Closed?

Can anyone confirm if the Paris Vincennes zoo is still closed?

The website suggests an April 2014 official (re)opening, but wondered if it was possible to see it before then?

I'll be in Paris in January.....if not, I'll just have to go to the other zoo (again!).

3. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

still closed. the work is going strong, but I doubt you'll be able to visit in january

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Will be interesting to hear what the place is like upon re-opening; I rather hope that they do not rush to meet the April target - they have been closed this long, staying closed a little longer than planned to ensure things are exactly how they are desired would be better than reopening to an inferior product.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suppose given all the progress achieved April 2014 is somewhat realistic!

6. alexpe8

alexpe8 Active Member 15+ year member

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the great photo tour, Alex. It looks like this will be an impressive new zoo.

I did not see any mention of sifakas in the Madagascar area - is this zoo not exhibiting them like they had originally planned?

8. TeaLovingDave

Considering they have the species already, I'd imagine they will at least be kept offshow - though I hope they *will* be displayed.

9. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Looks promising, alexpe8. thank you, for sharing photos. :)

what is the "concrete mountain"? it looks huge!

10. TeaLovingDave

Reading through it, I thought I would highlight particularly special species they will have upon opening....

Pied tamarin (Saguinus bicolor)
    West Indian Manatee (Trichechus manatus manatus)
    Unspecified Woolly Monkey taxon (Lagothrix sp.)
    Red-backed Bearded Saki (Chiropotes chiropotes)
    Greater bamboo lemur (Prolemur simus)

I note with particular pleasure the Saki, which will be the third European holding of this species.

11. EmperorTamarin

EmperorTamarin Well-Known Member

The Sifaka's already have their own exhibit in the Madagascar section, and I'm pretty sure it's finished too already. But as Alex said, they only visited an half of the Madagascar section, they didn't go outside the "Grande Serre".

12. alexpe8

alexpe8 Active Member 15+ year member

As EmperorTamarin say, I just see the indoor part of the Madagascar section. Sifakas will be outdoor in a large aviariy (I see this, but far away). Outdoor they will have also aviarys for bats, fossas ; enclosure for radiated tortoise and island for "common" lemurs like Ring tailled and red rufous.

The "concrete mountain" it's the a sign of the past, this "building" were at the opening of the park in 30's. Before it's the place for many goat and muflons but at the new park, no species live here because the slope is too steep. It's a classed monument and before, visitors can ride inside but for the future park, it will be not possible (just the european vivarium).

13. TeaLovingDave

Glad to hear the place will hold fossa :) even if it would be even better to have another species of Euplerid in addition!

14. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for posting the website link, Terp. It does look good. I was looking at the original plans for it in another thread and there was originally supposed to be a Central African forest zone too with gorillas, okapi, and pygmy hippo. It looks like that got deleted for some reason. Maybe it will be a future development?

16. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yea, I recall the initial plans were very ambitious - some really interesting design schemes, particularly with the big mountain. I think they may have backed off a bit during the Recession, but in any case, I think the number of exhibits they are rolling out all at once is mighty impressive...and with a rich collection of interesting species. I last visited this zoo 10 years ago, really hoping to get back to Paris this spring.

17. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

18. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4 European wolves have arrived from Gaiapark in the Netherlands.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Iberian ;)

On January 6, left the five male Iberian wolves to the Paris Bois de Vincennes Zoo. This had immediate transport, since shortly before a previously scheduled departure date message came from Paris that the stay was not quite ready. Fortunately, the final move not too long in coming, so that GaiaZOO on time could start the new construction in the Taiga area. The new wolves at that is built, will be in a few months ' time inhabited by the great gray wolf!