Join our zoo community

Zoo Decisions 2 (Origin)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zoofan15, 13 Jan 2019.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Species 10 - Tasmanian Tiger

Name of species/sub species:

Tasmanian tiger Thylacinus cynocephalus

Description of exhibit:

The exhibit is an old, mesh fence exhibit with a covered top. The exhibit, which can be divided in two by a central partition was originally built in the 1980s for a pair of Puma. It has a high amount of vegetation and an internal den with a wooden floor, and concrete walls. Heating was installed in the den prior to the conversion of this exhibit to house Tasmanian tiger.

Details of animals at the zoo:

The Millennial Zoo London currently has one Tasmanian tiger. He is a 9 week old male pup (born 2019) named Arthur (Art) after the Arthur River in Tasmania.

Art was born to the original pair of Tasmanian tigers imported by the Millennial Zoo Illinois in 2017. He was rejected by his mother at birth, and hand raised by keepers, before being transferred to the Millennial Zoo London at 6 weeks of age. He is extremely tame and enjoys interacting with his keepers.

Intended fate of the exhibit and it’s occupants:

Art will move to a new exhibit in 2023, when we build the Australasian precinct. It is our intention to import a female to breed with him when he is aged 18 months; but for now we will be content at exhibiting the only Tasmanian tiger in Europe, and the first Tasmanian tiger in London since 1931.

The current Tasmanian tiger exhibit, located on the future site of the European precinct, will be demolished in 2024 when construction on this precinct begins.

Jambo and Ashley LaRee Lewis like this.
  2. Zoofan15

That’s good enough for me. Would you be able to draw a map of the Millennial Zoo London when we have our 20 species confirmed in a day or two?

3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

I'd love to. And maybe I can even use a graphic designer if I have the chance!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I’ll tag you in the species list when we have our 20 species.

ZooBinh likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

‘The Thoughtful Solution’ Vote

We have an almost exact 50:50 split between Option 1 (adopt ‘the thoughtful solution’) and Option 4 (have no restrictions).

While technically my vote puts Option 1 in the lead; since this is arguably the most significant vote we will have in ZD2 and there is clearly a strong divide; two of the six chairs are against Option 1; and two of the six chairs (the two that will be most affected by the decision) haven’t voted, I’m reluctant to steamroll ahead with my plan.

Rather than re-do the vote (which probably wouldn’t yield wildly different results) or extend it; I’m keen to find a compromise here.

Would the 4 people who voted against ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ @TheGerenuk, @OstrichMania, @Ebirah766 and @FoxesAndFlowers please indicate by ‘liking’ this post if Option 1 (The Thoughtful Solution) would be acceptable to you if the limit of additional species was raised from 50 to 80?

Would the 4 people who are happy with ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ @CDavies98, @Ashley LaRee Lewis, @ZooBinh and @Neil chace please indicate by ‘liking’ this post if Option 1 (The Thoughtful Solution) would remain acceptable to you if the limit of additional species was raised from 50 to 80?

This compromise will be considered approved if 6/8 people listed above ‘like’ it by 5pm 21/01/2019 (New Zealand time). I want honest opinions however so if you think the compromise sucks, then tell me it sucks (by not ‘liking’ it).

6. Zoofan15

Species 11 - Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian devil Sarcophilus harrisii

Description of exhibit:

The Tasmanian devils are currently occupying an old bear pit, originally built in the 1920s to house American black bears. The concrete walls remain as the boundary wall, but the concrete floor has been covered with bark, logs and vegetation. The bear dens, located underneath the exhibit, have been renovated into an underground viewing area of the Tasmanian devil burrows.

The zoo is currently home to two 12 month old brothers named Togari (a place in Tasmania) and Tirreke (an Aboriginal name meaning ‘laughter’). Togari is black all over; Tirreke has several patches of white.

The Tasmanian devil exhibit is located on the future site of the African precinct. They will vacate it when construction on this precinct starts in 2023, moving to an off display area of the zoo. A new exhibit will be constructed for them in 2024 as part of the Australasian precinct. The fate of the exhibit is undecided, but will possibly be repurposed for a burrow living species like African crested porcupine or Meerkat.

Ashley LaRee Lewis likes this.
  7. Ashley LaRee Lewis

Ashley LaRee Lewis Well-Known Member

Species 12: Humboldt Penguin
    Details of Animals at the Zoo: A total of 6.8 individuals reside at our zoo today. The lower number of individuals is a result of a devastating illness that struck our colony a year ago.
    Exhibit Description: One of our oldest exhibits that has been around since the beginning. However three years ago it was renovated to be more naturalistic with underwater viewing, educational and interactive experiences for the guests, and extra room for the penguins.
    Intended Fate of Exhibit and Its Occupants: We hope to import more penguins so that we can continue our breeding program after the serious loss.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2019
    Zoofan15 likes this.
  8. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member

Species 13- Black-naped Fruit Dove

A 1.1 pair of black-naped fruit doves will live in the same exhibit as the peacock peasants.

9. Ashley LaRee Lewis

Species 14-Sumatran Elephant

Description of Exhibit
    : Our elephants were originally housed in an outdated elephant house that is now used for smaller species. They have been moved to a renovated, much larger and pristine exhibit that spans 3 acres in total. We have a separate yard for the bull elephant as well as off-show exhibits. We have a large pool and plenty of enrichment opportunities.

Details of Animals At The Zoo:
    We have a total of three cows and one bull at our zoo. Two of them have juvenile calves. Our oldest cow is past breeding age and was rescued from a circus many years ago. The younger two calves are her daughters. Recently, though we believed our oldest female to have been of the general Asiatic species, we discovered through genetic and blood testing that she is actually of the purebred Sumatran Elephant subspecies. It turns out that our original bull was also of the Sumatran species and her daughters are purebred as well. However, our current bull is not a Sumatran Elephant and he has fathered our two calves, making them half and half.

1.0-Pyrrhus: Our purebred Asian Elephant (18 years old)
    0.1-Kandula-Our purebred Sumatran Elephant (43 years old)
    0.1-Darshani-Daughter of Kandula and our previous bull, purebred Sumatran (25 years old)
    0.1-Joshika-Daughter of Kandula and our previous bull, purebred Sumatran (20 years old)
    0.1-Malavika-Daughter of Darshani and Pyrrhus. Half Asian/Half Sumatran (6 years old)
    1.0-Abhi-Son of Joshika and Pyrrhus Half Asian/Half Sumatran (18 months old)

Intended Fate of Exhibit and Its Occupants
    We hope to eventually export Pyrrhus as well as his son Abhi (when Abhi is much older obviously) and import a new male Sumatran Elephant. Malavika will stay with her mother, grandmother, and aunt, but we will likely not breed her.

10. Zoofan15

Awesome detail as always. I can’t wait to see what exhibits you design when we get started.

If I could just make one change...the origin phase is largely about building exhibits that the animals will move out of and into new exhibits in their respective precincts. The elephant’s new exhibit sounds amazing and in keeping with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” rule, is unlikely to warrant any improvements. Would you be offended if we stuffed (I mean stowed) those elephants away back in that outdated (but historic) elephant house and then put your new exhibit plan into action when we start the Asian precinct (April 2019)? I’d be very keen for us to keep the historic elephant house after that, either as a restaurant or function centre; or for smaller species like you suggested.

11. Ashley LaRee Lewis

I think that sounds perfectly fine and like it would work great! I’m glad you like my ideas I’m having a lot of fun with it.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  12. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member

Species 15: Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae)

Exhibit description: A medium-sized, barren yard with little grass and a shade structure.

Numbers: There are currently 2.10 emus at the zoo.

Intended Fate: The exhibit is horrible in quality, so when the emus move to the Australasian Precinct, this exhibit will be quickly demolished.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

Species 16 - Common Chimpanzee

Common chimpanzee Pan troglodytes

Description of exhibit:

The exhibit consists of a row of interconnected cages, with concrete walls and bars. Prior to the arrival of three new female chimpanzees to restart the zoo’s breeding programme, an extension was built which allows the chimpanzee access to a small outside area.

The zoo has a community of 3.6.3 Common chimpanzee. Most of them descend from the import of 1.3 chimpanzee confiscated from illegal animal smugglers in the early 1980s. The male was named James; the females were named Joko, Aera and Sana. All are now deceased, but produced many offspring - most of which have been sent to other zoos.

Bebi (1987) was the first female chimpanzee born at the zoo to James and Joko. At 32, Bebi is the oldest female at the zoo and the highest ranking. Bebi has produced 7 offspring, all sired by James. Two of her sons remain at the zoo: Bausi (2003) and Bakari (2012). Bausi is the alpha male.

Shuja (2002) is the son of James and Sana. Shuja is the beta male.

Jioni (2002) and Jirani (2003) are the younger sisters of Bebi, also born to James and Joko. Both are contraception as they are related to all the males at the zoo; however, Jioni gave birth to a son last year, Jecha (2018).

Chiku (2006), Sihaba (2008) and Sabra (2010) are the three new females imported by the zoo in 2017. They have integrated well into the community. Chiku has given birth to a daughter, Chima (2019); Sihaba has given birth to a son, Simai (2019).

Bausi is the sire of Jecha and Chima; Shuja is the sire of Simai.

The chimpanzees will move to a new, larger exhibit when the African precinct opens in 2023, which will allow for the community to expand. Their exhibit is currently located on the future site of the Australasian precinct, due for construction in 2024. The old chimpanzee cage block will likely be converted into an aviary.

Jambo and Ashley LaRee Lewis like this.
  14. Zoofan15

Thank you to the three who were willing to compromise. Since we did not reach the required six people, we will do a re-vote. With added votes after the deadline closed, the ‘thoughtful’ solution has now passed the 50% so we will adopt it (as opposed to having no restrictions); the re-vote will determine to what extent.

This will be the final vote for Zoo Decisions 2 as I believe we have covered all major parameters. Smaller decisions will be made precinct by precinct by the chairs as to how the precinct will be run to allow them some room to excercise their creativity. As and when issues arise, they can use their best judgement to determine if a vote is needed; or alternatively, people can request a vote if it’s an issue they feel strongly on.

Please vote below on which option for ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ is your preferred option.

Voting closes 5pm 22/01/2019.

In the event of a deadlock (two or more options have the same number of votes), the vote will be extended by one hour and end on the hour, every hour until a majority is reached.

15. Zoofan15

Option 1:

Adopt ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ with an additional limit of 50 extra species (the original concept).

If this is your preferred option, please vote here by ‘liking’ this post.

Jambo, FelipeDBKO, ZooBinh and 4 others like this.
  16. Zoofan15

Option 2:

Adopt ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ with an additional limit of 70 extra species.

17. Zoofan15

Option 3:

Adopt ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ with an additional limit of 80 extra species.

I will add my vote here since I can’t ‘like’ my own post.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  18. Zoofan15

Option 4:

Adopt ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ with an additional limit of 90 extra species.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  19. Zoofan15

Option 5:

Adopt ‘The Thoughtful Solution’ with an additional limit of 100 extra species.

20. Zoofan15

Species 17 - Brolga

Brolga Antigone rubicunda

Description of exhibit:

The exhibit is a small grassed paddock on a sloping hillside. It has a small off display exhibit used for separating the birds during the introduction phase of a new breeding pair.

We have two Brolga at the zoo:

The male is named Kakadu (hatched June 2017). Kakadu was the last offspring of our previous breeding pair, who lived at the zoo for 30 years and produced several chicks together. He is named after Australia’s Kakadu National Park, the location of one of Australia’s largest wetlands.

The female is named Kyeema (hatched January 2018). Kyeema was bred at the Auckland Zoo and arrived this year to form a new breeding pair with Kakadu. Her name is an Aboriginal name, meaning ‘dawn.’

The Brolga will move to a new exhibit when the Australasian precinct is constructed in 2024. Their current exhibit is small, and doesn’t offer the birds the opportunity to wade through water etc. as they would in the wild. The exhibit is located in the Australian precinct and may be reused for a species more suited to the sloping terrain of the hillside.