Join our zoo community

Zoo Decisions 5 - Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zoofan15, 15 Mar 2021.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Zoo Decisions 5 - The Planning Thread

Welcome everyone to Zoo Decisions 5 - The Planning Thread.

For those of you that are new here, Zoo Decisions remains the most popular fantasy series on ZooChat. It’s the only fantasy series to have been a finalist in The Thread of the Year Competition (each time coming second); and only one of two fantasy series to make it to the finals in this competition (the other being Mesozoic Zoo).

@Jambo will be co-chairing this thread with me. @Jambo co-chaired Zoo Decisions 3 with me, which in my view was the best season of Zoo Decisionsto date.

As with previous seasons, Zoo Decisions 5 will involve creating a zoo together. We will all have input into the direction the zoo takes over that time period. Some aspects of this series have already been decided; others will be decided by your input/vote.

Here’s what’s decided/fixed:

1. Time Period:

Zoo Decisions 5 will begin in 1921 and end in 2021. This time period has been chosen as it allows us to combine a historical context with the modern day context. Going back any further e.g. the 1800’s would limit us to a small scale zoo to avoid detracting too far from reality; while going into the future e.g. 2050 would be difficult to do justice when we have no idea how the world/zoos would work. I also doubt we’d be allowed elephants.

2. Time Scale:

One day = one year. This will see us complete this series in 100 days. Experience shows that interest/participation runs high for two to three months; then crashes at around four months as we become burnt out. 100 days may not sound long, but I’d rather us create an incredible project in a short time; than aim for a six month marathon project that flops half way through.

3. Construction:

Our zoo will be constructed one project at a time. Once you have accrued enough points (number to be decided), you can submit an idea for a project. Examples of a project include an exhibit or a building for our zoo. Once five projects are nominated, there will be a vote and the top nomination will be actioned. This ensures we get the best of five ideas each time.

4. Earning Points:

There will be two ways to earn points: Daily Challenges and Activities. How these are run will need to be discussed further, with your input invited.

5. Characters:

To begin, everyone will create a character. Bearing in mind we’re starting a zoo from scratch, it would be realistic if the majority of our characters were from a large multi-generational family; but you’re also welcome to create a character who’s a blacksmith or neighbouring farmer etc.

Here’s what’s undecided/needs input:

We will work through this list sequentially. Please do not discuss an item before we have come to it, in order to give the previous item the attention it requires; but by all means think about what you want to say.

1. Activities:

In addition to the Daily Challenge, we will have activities. These will be self-managing i.e. you can do them by yourself at any time. An example of an activity is the decisions/scenarios we had in previous seasons. Ideally we’re looking for two more (equally simple) alternatives to these.

2. Daily Challenges:

I will be writing one DC a week on Thursday; @Jambo will be writing one DC a week on a Tuesday. The other days will be open for anyone who wants to fill them.

3. Budget:

The perennial curse of Zoo Decisions. Few stick to it; even less want to be responsible for it; yet there’s always been someone who wants a budget. There will be a vote on this, with anyone voting in favour of having a budget expected to detail their plan for how it could be implemented and being prepared to manage it.

4. Species:

What species will we have? What species will be prohibited e.g. cetaceans, extinct animals? How will we keep track of what we have in our zoo?

5. Location:

We will vote on location.

6. Anything Else:

You may be reading this and thinking, yes but what about? This will be your chance to submit ideas/requests that haven’t already been dealt with.

Start date:

The start date has yet to be decided. Zoo Decisions 5 will commence once planning has been completed, which I anticipate will take around a week to two weeks. It will then run for 100 days.

Tagging people who may be interested:

@Jungle Man, @Junklekitteb, @CloudPardus, @Tafin, @TheGerenuk, @boro745, @SpinyLiving, @Neil chace, @Ashley LaRee Lewis , @Joshua Forster , @the racoon has spoken @grevy's zebra @MizzB @ChIkEn NuGrEt @dinosauria @Just an ordinary guy @ChunkyMunky pengopus

2. Zoofan15

As mentioned, we will work through the items needing discussion SEQUENTIALLY.

Our first item is:

1. Activities:

In addition to the Daily Challenge, we will have activities. These will be self-managing i.e. you can do them by yourself at any time.

An example of an activity is the decisions/scenarios we had in previous seasons e.g.

A lioness rejects her cub, do we:

A) Hand rear it?
    B) Introduce to a surrogate?
    C) Euthanise it?

Please quote this post to suggest alternatives ideas for activities. They must be simple (no more than two minutes to complete).

akasha, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

How about writing letters? People (posing as members of the public) write in and ask questions about our zoo that someone else answers? The writer and answerer each get points.

4. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

Love this idea. We could even get more in-depth once we reach modern day with things like press conferences.

MizzB, Tafin, grevy's zebra and 4 others like this.
  5. Just an ordinary guy

Just an ordinary guy Well-Known Member

I say A) Hand rear it

6. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

Agreed. Definitely something I want to add.

MizzB, Tafin and SpinyLiving like this.
  7. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

Three things. First, I wouldn't mind being on the list. Second, how about a middle range from 3 and 4, somewhere in Montana or somewhere close to the Rockies, that way it gives a chance of ZD3 and ZD4 characters possibly visiting the ZD5 Zoo. Finally, I think that, instead of using specific animals, we should make a system of scoring a species' price. I'll make a post soon describing what my idea for it is, but an overview is that it would be based on status at the time, taxonomic classification (ungulate, raptor, crocodilian), and commonality in zoos at the varies time periods of the purchases of animals.

MizzB, Tafin, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  8. Zoofan15

I love the idea of some ZD3/ZD4 character cross overs. This was a lot of fun in ZD4 when Crewe and his son, George, caught up with Alford and his family. Location will be decided by vote, but I’ll be voting for your suggestion of a location near our previous two zoos (as oppose to somewhere in Europe for example).

I look forward to hearing an overview of your idea of pricing in the meantime. :cool:

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member

Glad to see Zoo Decisions returning! I'll be happy to play a role in this zoo project.

Tafin, Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  10. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member

So I did some research on trying to find a location for our zoo. I'm personally in favor of choosing a big city location, so tried to find the largest 1920 U.S. City to lack a zoo (or in Detroit's case a plan for a zoo). From what I found, the largest US city lacking a zoo in 1920 was San Fransisco, CA- with a population of 506,676. The San Fransisco Zoo did not start construction until 1929. I would propose to make San Fransisco the location of our zoo, and in this alternative history the modern San Fransisco Zoo would have never been built, as we already had a zoo before them. Since it it a large city zoo we would also be more likely to have access to rarer animals faster, which is a plus.

Zoofan15, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Daily Challenges

It’d be great if we could all step up to write a DC on occasion. DC’s are intended to be fun, more complex than the day to day activities; but nothing too complex.

You can look through the previous seasons of ZD3 and ZD4 to see examples of DC’s. They range from anything to writing a story for people to answer questions on; games of chance; quizzes; to asking everyone a question about themselves e.g. name a country you want to visit and why.

The Daily Challenge Roster

I will be writing one DC a week on Thursday; @Jambo will be writing one DC a week on Tuesday.

The other days are open to be filled by other people. We won’t have a formal roster; rather just jump in and say if you want to do a DC that Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

You could do a Monday one week; then a Saturday the next for example - it’s whatever works for you.

Please give at least 24 hours notice, so that we don’t have clashes (we only want one DC a day). Myself and @Jambo will then get in touch to agree what prizes will be given out.

Please ‘like’ this post if interested in writing a DC at some stage.

12. Zoofan15

Voting on Species

@akasha has an idea for the budget; and @grevy's zebra is putting together a plan for a species catalogue, so we will move forward to what species we want (or rather don’t want in or zoo).

Please vote on the following options (by liking the post of your choice):

- Cetaceans or nah
    - Extinct species or nah

We will review the cetaceans every 25 years (every quarter) so feel free to vote for them now in 1921; even if you know you won’t want them in the 1970’s.

Personally, I don’t think an establishing zoo would have the money to acquire them; but they would be an excellent fit during the entertainment era of zoos (1950’s to 1970’s).

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  13. Zoofan15

Cetaceans (Option 1)

Yes I want cetaceans (Orca, dolphins etc) in our zoo during the first quarter 1921-1946.

If this is your preferred choice, please vote here by liking this post.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2021
  14. Zoofan15

Cetaceans (Option 2)

No I don’t want cetaceans (Orca, dolphins etc) in our zoo during the first quarter 1921-1946.

I will add my vote here, since I can’t like my own post.

15. Zoofan15

Extinct Species (Option 1)

Yes I want to exhibit species that are extinct now, but were alive at the time of game play e.g. Tasmanian Tiger up until 1936.

I will add my vote here, since I can’t like my own post.

16. Zoofan15

Extinct Species (Option 2)

No I don’t want to exhibit species that are extinct now, but were alive at the time of game play e.g. Tasmanian Tiger up until 1936.

17. Zoofan15

An idea for an activity:

Current Events

Since the time scale is one day = one year, each day we’ll be celebrating a new year.

Everyone will be allowed to name an event that occurred that year for a set amount of points.

You can name an event a soon as your time zone enters that day (year); with the limit of one event per person ensuring those in later time zones aren’t disadvantaged.

The added bonus is this will help us all keep track of what year we’re up to. Remember that time we all forgot about the depression?

Like this post if you’re happy for this to be included as one of the day to day activities
    (along with decisions and @Tafin’s idea about writing/replying to letters).

18. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Well-Known Member

Finally Zoo Decisions returns! And you can count on me to come back with this as well,as for Species management I think we could use the good ole Google documents again to record our collection.

And i like that this ZD will wrap up in 100 days (Well hopefully) like Zoofan said this might prevent boredom or dragging it up too long,though unfortunately for our short-lived animals they might need to be replaced regularly but long-lived animals like always in ZD will play a big part like our Elephants,Rhinos and others.

19. Zoofan15

That’d be a great way to keep track and would eliminate the need for us to keep posting species lists to the thread. Would you be willing to create an online species for us like you did in ZD1?

As with the previous two seasons, the stars of the show will be the great apes and the elephants. They could easily reach 50 years (days) and therefore be around for half of the series. Big cats, bears and giraffes could also get a solid three weeks in (21 years); while the Panther chameleon will live the life of the Mayfly, averaging just one day of game play! :eek:

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Amazing to have you back @CloudPardus! Another member who has been here since ZD1! I'd be happy to help with the species list if you need @Cloud Pardus. :)

It would be tiring to constantly update the population for species such as Panther Chameleon, who only live one year. Especially if they are breeding. Maybe for some species, such as these, we could just list as having them rather than how many?

Tafin, CloudPardus and Zoofan15 like this.