Join our zoo community

Zoo des 3 Vallées

Discussion in 'France' started by Nisha, 21 Aug 2014.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So apparently, this zoo was today closed by police and was ordered to relocate the animals Log into Facebook | Facebook

Can someone from our French friends here add some more context to it?

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here is an article about it: Tarn : "Animaux faméliques, enclos insalubres"... Le zoo des 3 vallées fermé en urgence par les autorités

Since it's in French, I'll translate it roughly:

Tarn: "Famished animals, unsanitary enclosures"; Le Zoo des 3 Vallees closed urgently by the police

Today, the Tarn prefecture confirmed the decision to close the Zoo des 3 Vallees, located in Montredon-Labessonie (Tarn). The decision was made on Thursday night during a meeting chaired by the head of the prefecture, Catherine Ferrier.

This forced closure follows an unbiased inspection of the zoo on the 19th of October, which essentially said the animals weren't being nourished properly and the enclosures were horrid and unhygienic, while also a posing a physical and hygienic risk to the visitors. The head of the prefecture also emphasised the need to lessen the number of risks taken by young people given the school holidays.

The owner says he is in shock. The transfer of the animals to a captive exotic animal sanctuary will take place in the next 30 days. The state says they will take particular care of the animals and make sure they get the care they deserve. We have yet to hear anything more from the owner but he is due to give a statement imminently.

4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I came across the park’s post on Facebook and the Rewild Project/ zoo de pont scorff was brought up. What is their role in this?

5. amur leopard

It says that the zoo has been under significant pressure to close since the closure of the Zoo de Pont Scorff.

6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

God help us if they or a similar organization are allowed control of this zoo or any other. What’s extremely worrying is a possible trend that this may indicate is happening.

zoomaniac likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Rewild Project/Zoo de Pont Scorff has had much worse in terms of public concerns and complaints. It should have been shut down instead, yet it is still allowed to linger even though public magistrate's have signalled numerous infractions and basically the entire report on Rewild Project et al shows it up to be unfit to manage the facility.

8. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Things look strange with this event but what I can say is that this zoo is real bad, one of the worst in the country and is not member of the french national zoos association.

I am concern for the animals but the closure will be a happy end in my opinion.

Arizona Docent and Shirokuma like this.
  9. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

If you know where the animals will be relocated (especially the clouded leopard), please let me know. I never found out what happened to the clouded leopards at Pont Scorff when it closed and I hope this individual is kept in the breeding program, and not in the hands of Rewilding Project.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Antoine

@Jungle Man None animal left Pont Scorff since Rewild arrived and there is no chance at the moment that these animals still be part of the EEP. Same case for the elephants.

Jungle Man likes this.
  11. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

That's so bad. Valuable breeding clouded leopard individuals (I think they hold a breeding pair) lost for the breeding program. I hope they are properly caring for them.

12. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

But there is no trend that this is happening. There is a huge difference between an anti-zoo organisation taking over a zoo and government authorities intervening to ensure that a sub-standard facility is no longer allowed to operate.

13. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here’s the post that I tried to mention. Can anyone who knows French translates the parts which pont scorff and rewild are mentioned?

14. Antoine

Which parts do you want exactly because the major part is on La Tanière owner ?

Regarding Rewild the article just said that the Zoo des 3 Vallées owner has problems with other zoos directors since the sale of Pont Scorff to Rewild. Moreover, he was contacted by La Tanière owner to cut the deal with Rewild last december. La Tanière owner said Rewild was useless.

amur leopard likes this.
  15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Le Parc Des Felins posted a notice on their Facebook page that says Zoo De 3 Vallees had added the appendage "parc des felins" to their name which is causing confusion. Some people now think Le Parc Des Felins is closed, which of course is not true.

16. amur leopard

And I bet you are the one breathing the biggest sigh of relief, especially given your trip next year ;)

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. Antoine

Unfortunately the administrative court of Toulouse has just annulled the prefectural decree of closure of the zoo. For the moment, we don't know what French state will do next. I hope they will go on with closure but with regular procedure (it was the problem with the first decree).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Antoine

Some news of this sad story :

The prefecture has just given formal notice to the zoo to carry out all the work listed in the telechargeable order here : RAA SPECIAL N°302 Mise en demeure de la SARL ZOO Parc des félins - Les trois Vallées - site des Services de l'Etat du département du Tarn

You will see really "nice" (it's a joke) photos of what is wrong in this zoo.

The prefecture gave just until the end of november to do the necessary work.

On Facebook, the Zoo announced his closure for 3 months to do all the upgrades requested.

Not sure the prefecture will let them do as I am conviced they want to close it.

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gil likes this.