Join our zoo community

Zoo director in Mexico accused of killing and cooking four pygmy goats for party

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Simon Hampel, 2 Feb 2023.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Mexico zoo director accused of killing and cooking four pygmy goats for party

The former director of a zoo in southern Mexico killed four of the zoo's pygmy goats and served them up at a Christmas-season party, according to authorities.

José Rubén Nava was replaced as director of the local zoo in the city of Chilpancingo on January 12 following the death of a deer there.

But officials allege some of the animals in the zoo's collection were sold off, traded or eaten under Mr Nava's orders.

The state environment department said a zebra was traded for tools and deer, and Watusi cattle were traded to private individuals without proper accounting.

I'm assuming they are talking about Zoologico Zoochilpan, which from what I see on Google seems to be the local zoo in Chilpancingo?

ifesbob and Smaggledagle like this.
  2. zooatlas

zooatlas Active Member

Yes, it is Zoológico Zoochilpan

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have only just seen this - sorry for the delayed comment.

I wonder how many people are still with us who would find this unremarkable?

It is not terribly long ago that Wellington Zoo used to butcher surplus Peccaries each Christmas and give the meat to staff members.

Many zoos also used to cull surplus ducks etc and, rather than waste them, give them to staff members to eat.

I never did hear any recipient complain!

Wisp O' Mist likes this.