Join our zoo community

Zoo distance regulation?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by JM88, 14 Apr 2017.

1. JM88

JM88 Member

Hi, I was wondering, are there any specific laws on how far away a zoo has to be from residential areas, businesses, road's, freeway's, highway's etc? I would assume there would be some regulation, as there is always the slim possibility of an animal breaking out of it's habitat. Plus, I feel that noise complaints would be an issue, along with parking, and animal welfare as roadways create a lot of noise, and smog which I feel could do harm to an animal. In addition, if there is an accident on a freeway or highway of some sort close to the zoo, wouldn't that cause a potential threat for a fire, or collusion contact with zoo grounds etc? Any thoughts regarding this topic?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There are no USA Federal laws or regs, no.
    Many zoos have residential neighborhoods sharing their border fence.
    Several zoos have major roads running either beside them or through them (that is, the zoo spans both sides of the road)
    There may be state or local ordinances of course.

d1am0ndback likes this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any new zoo would need a permit from the city or county. But I know of no specific regulations regarding this. I think it is up to the city/county council. For example, a council member may raise an objection about a proposed zoo (or existing zoo expansion) affecting a residential neighborhood and the council could deny the permit based on this. But I have never heard of any regulations written into law that specifically outline this.

As the post above mine states, many zoos are directly adjacent to residential housing (Cincinnati Zoo comes to mind). As also stated above, some zoos are directly adjacent to major freeways (Dallas Zoo comes to mind).

4. Arizona Docent

Your point about noise harming (or at least annoying) the animals I think is a valid point that zoos in general have not addressed. My intuition tells me that urban noise is detrimental, though I know of no studies to confirm this. A bigger concern of mine is the noise generated by on site concerts that many zoos promote.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  5. JM88

JM88 Member

Yeah, I started thinking about noise harm when I visited the San Diego zoo last year. At the back of the zoo, I heard the freeway which was very loud and was wondering if it affected the polar bears that were close by.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

In Australia I know of no legislation specifying minimum distances, and many zoos and wildlife parks are adjacent to residential areas (i.e. houses over the road, or the back fence). But local councils may have their own regulations. However, to prevent accidents most good zoos should have a good perimeter fence to limit escapes, as well as keep people out. As for noise, I imagine most of the animals get used to it fairly quickly especially those born in captivity.

The thing I found really annoying when I worked at Taronga Zoo was people would buy a house right next to the zoo, knowing full-well there's zoo next door, and then complain constantly about the lion's roaring waking them in the morning, their friends can't find any parking when they want to visit, heavy road congestion on weekends etc.

:p

Hix

TheMightyOrca and Arizona Docent like this.
  7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was thinking about this at the Houston Zoo. A hospital is very close by so you can often hear helicopters not too far overhead.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

As I discussed in this thread, there was a situation like this in Arizona that resulted in a lawsuit: Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center - News

9. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't mind waking up to lions roaring!

10. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That was actually a major issue for Magdeburg Zoo; for years, three residents in the neighbourhood of the zoo led a legal dispute with the zoo, complaining about the noise and successfully hampering the construction of the new primate house. In 2015, they reached an agreement with the zoo out of court.

11. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There is an auto-bahn running through the centre of Duisberg zoo, which surely has to be the closest any zoo gets to a motorway...

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's a highway through Beijing Zoo too, although it is entirely enclosed and you wouldn't even know it was there.