Join our zoo community

Zoo Entry Ticket Pricess Across the World

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 13 Jan 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Hi Zoochatters,

I had an impression that zoo entry ticket prices generally are lowest in Europe, and highest in Australia, and America's in between, although this is very generalised view, and not case with every zoo from respective region.

European zoos tickets generally are in range from 12.0 to 20.0 euros, and Australian goes up to 50.0 euros.

Wich zoo in Europe has the highest zoo-entry ticket price? Wich one is the American equivalent? Wich zoo in Australia have the lowest zoo-entry ticket? What are the prices in Far-East Asia (Japan, China, other)? Other regions in the World?

-Tierpark Hellabrunn (Munich, Germany,) zoo-entry ticket price for single adult was 14.0 euros,
    -Attica's Zoological park (in Greece), ticket price for single adult was 16.0 euros,
    -Belgrade zoo in Serbia zoo ticket price for one adult is about 3.2 euros,
    -And Skopje zoo (among other animals, it also holds red forest buffalos, giraffes, common hippos, siamang, cherry-crowned mangabays, tigers, lions, leopards, jaguars, California sea lions, axis deers) in R. Macedonia has ridiculous price of zoo-entry ticket for one adult of 0.81 euros!

(Also in my opinion, free-entry zoos are excellent experiments, but existance of such zoos means that many opportunities for gethering money are wasted, money that can be used for in-situ conservation for example or for ex-situ new conservatory resourcefull zoo).

Last edited: 13 Jan 2017
  2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it really don't depend on geography location.For government zoo , they can be easily free because government have much money.But for private zoo, it is easy to know why their prices for zoo is higher.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

In the United States, the cheapest zoos are free. There are a small number of these, mostly in the Midwestern states. Other zoos range from around $5-$10 for smaller zoos and $10-$20 for larger zoos. Not counting zoo/amusement parks like Disney's Animal Kingdom, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens (for which day passes cost easily around $100), the most expensive zoos are San Diego and San Diego WAP, which are both $50. Bronx Zoo is around $30, but many of its major exhibits cost $5 each and I think you have to pay for parking, so it could potentially be comparable to or even greater than SD.

Aquariums are an entirely different matter. Most major aquariums charge $30-$40 for admission. I'm not sure what smaller aquariums charge as I haven't looked at them much, but it would definitely be more expensive than a comparably small zoo. There is a free public aquarium, located in Los Angeles.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  4. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Scandinavian zoos seem to, at least generally, be among the more expensive ones in Europe.

Just checked for Kolmården (Sweden's biggest zoo) and Kristiansand (Norway's biggest zoo). A day ticket for Kolmården is 429 Swedish kroner in the high season which is around 45 euro/39 pounds/48 dollars. For Kristiansand, it's 439 kroner in the high season which is around 48 euro/42 pounds/51 dollars.

Danish zoos are slightly cheaper (probably because the density of zoos is higher here than in Norway and Sweden, so there's more competition, though not as high as in Germany and Netherlands), but the major ones still have entry prices in the price range of 150-250 Danish kroner. (20-33 euro, 17-29 pounds, 21-35 dollars). Even with the very small zoos, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with an entry price less than 100 kroner (13 euro/11 pounds/14 dollars)

I believe that the UK, France and Spain in particular also have some very expensive zoos here and there, but it's not as universal as in Scandinavia. In France, I've been to two zoos - the very expensive Reserve Africaine de Sigean (33 euro) and Mulhouse Zoo which was decent value for the money with a 14,50 euro entry price.

The Central European zoos are probably where you get the most value for your money.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2017
  5. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In New Zealand, the 4 major zoo's entry ticket prices range between $20 - $35; Hamilton Zoo and Wellington Zoo are both $23 for an adult, Auckland Zoo is $28 for an adult and Orana Wildlife Park is the most expensive of the four at $34.50 for adult entry.

Zoos in Australia are generally more expensive than in New Zealand with main zoos such as Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Perth Zoo, and Melbourne Zoo charging a entry price between $30 - $45. Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast charges a staggering $60 adult admission price! (and on top of that they charge you extra to see certain animals!)

However most zoos in New Zealand and Australia have an annual membership passes that you can purchase, which are usually great value for money.

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

There is a great deal of variety, even where it is least expected. Perhaps my biggest ever zoo entry fee was to visit Bali Safari Park, which cost the equivalent of £52, despite them also advertising a Marine section which has been touted for years but still hasn't been constructed.

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even inside the United States, prices vary wildly. Surprising this is not always an accurate reflection on the size or quality of the zoo. What I mean is some small or poor quality zoos are more expensive than some big nice ones.

In my city of Tucson, Arizona there are two good zoos but one costs twice as much (though it is arguably the nicer of the two). Reid Park Zoo is $10.50 and Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is $20.50. North of me in Phoenix, Arizona there are also two large zoos. Wildlife World zoo at around $40 costs twice as much as Phoenix Zoo at $20. In this case the cheaper one has far superior exhibits (though the expensive one has a much larger animal collection).

Some small, independent zoos and rescue shelters are "overpriced" if you are simply comparing what you can see as a visitor compared to larger zoos. However many people do not mind paying because they know the facility gets less visitors and needs the money.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  8. overread

overread Well-Known Member

I think zoos exhibit such a wide variety of prices because there's almost no typical zoo structure. They range from private collections all the way to nationally owned collections and their objectives and outputs vary just as much. From simply being a collection; to taking part in conservation efforts; reintroduction programs; research etc...

Thus I suspect each zoo is very individual in its cash-flow and budget demands. Thus being represented with a very varied entry price requirement before you even consider the local area around the zoo and its target market. My impression of many is also that entry prices have gone up with the hope of trying to secure more annual subscriptions to the zoo. Probably sparked by the fact that many people might visit the zoo once or twice a year so if you can convince them to take annual membership you don't really lose out on entry fees but you do gain a potential avenue to market the zoo (magazines/emails) to a person through the year and into the next year to convince them to come again (plus each time they do come there's cafes and the shop to generate further income).