Join our zoo community

Zoo Essay

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Crystal, 20 Oct 2008.

1. Crystal

Crystal Member

Hey guys,

I'm doing a bioethics unit at university at the moment and we had to write a 1500 word essay on a bioethical topic of our choice. I chose to write about the ethical consideration of zoos and thought that I would post my essay up here for people to comment on. I didn't get to cover everything that I wanted due to the word limit (there was so much stuff I had to delete) and I realise some of my suggestions are a bit glossed over and harder to achieve that I suggest, but I would be interested to see what people think. As the file is too large to attach hopefully I can post it all on here. If anyone wants my reference list for further information feel free to contact me.
    Crystal

Ethical Consideration of Zoos
    Since their conception zoos have been reinvented from private menageries to the public places of conservation and education that they claim to be today. According to the World Zoo Conservation Strategy published by the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums a zoo “possess and manage(s) collections that primarily consist of wild animals…that are housed so that they are easier to see and study than in nature” and that “display at least a portion of this collection to the public for a significant part of the year” (Lee 2005, 95). The modern zoo often prides itself on its goals of conservation and education and to a lesser extent recreation. However, these goals are often questioned and criticized by those who feel that zoos are detrimental to animal welfare and that zoos, in their current form, are unable to meet their goals. The purpose of this essay is to show that although modern zoos may not currently be meeting their goals, the principles upon which they are constructed should allow for the continued operation of zoos provided a high standard of animal welfare is maintained and progress is continued to be made towards education and conservation in zoos.

By definition zoos are places where animals are kept captive for the purposes of humans. Barnett (1970, 25) notes that to us “a cage is a prison – something from which to escape” and Bostock (1993, 92) continues by questioning “couldn’t it be a prison for an animal too?” As always when animals are kept captive the conditions in which they are kept and their welfare must be questioned. It is often noted that man made reconstructions of an animals habitat can never reproduce the variety of stimuli that an animal would experience in the wild, let alone the large home ranges that many animals, in particular megafauna such as polar bears and lions and even smaller animals such as meerkats, occupy. It has been shown by a number of researchers, including Clubb and Mason (2003, 473), that the typical enclosure for a polar bear is one million times smaller than the minimum range that a polar bear would reside in the wild. As a result of this large decrease in space many animals, particularly those that normally have wide-ranging lifestyles, begin to develop stereotypes such as pacing, swaying and head nodding (Clubb and Mason 2003, 473).
    As a method of judging animal welfare the UK Farm Animal Welfare Council suggests using what are known as the five freedoms. These as freedom from thirst, hunger and malnutrition, freedom from discomfort, freedom from pain, injury and disease, freedom from fear and distress and freedom to express normal behaviours (Farm Animal Council 1992). The first four of these freedoms could be said to be fulfilled by zoos, due to the high level of care and veterinary attention that the animals receive, however as outlined above the space restrictions placed on the animals can lead to the last freedom (freedom to express normal behaviours) not being met.
    From a utilitarian perspective, if the goals of the zoo are able to be met then the decrease in freedom to express natural behaviours would not outweigh the good that is done by zoos. Therefore, it can be said that the greater good can be achieved by the continued operation of zoos as they are able to help not only conserve species (both in and ex situ), but also the environment and are able to educate the general public. However, from an animal rights perspective the continued operation of zoos would not be morally defensible. The animal rights view sees the denial of an animal’s freedom as a serious ethical issue which would outweigh any possible gain that could be achieved by zoos (Regan 1995, 45). The question then is which ethical stance should be followed with respect to the issues faced by zoos?

Bekoff (2008, T11) notes that “globally, people feel alienated from nature and other animals” a process which has been brought about by our modern life style and a move from the country to densely populated cities. Zoos provide the most important and possibly the only contact that many people will ever have with living, wild animals (Conway 1995, 1) and with over 650 million visitors each year (Conway 2007, 14) play a major role in the education of the public to the plight of animals. It is the zoos aim that through viewing the animals kept in zoos people will feel compassion for them and be motivated to support their continued survival in the wild. This aim is often heavily criticized by opponents of zoos, with one study showing that the average time spent in front of exhibits in the Reptile House at the National Zoo in Washington DC is just 0.44 minutes and further studies showing that zoo visitors “appeared to be more concerned with the welfare of the animals they saw in the zoos than in the issues concerning biodiversity, conservation and ecology” (Lee 2005, 103). However, there are a number of ways in which zoos are able to increase the positive role they play in the education of the public. Sterling, Lee and Wood (2007, 44) note that “effective programs incorporate relevant information on skills or actions and do not tell people what to do, but rather give them choices.” Involving the public in exhibits, rather than hoping they will read exhibit signage is another important consideration. School education programs are also important in creating conservation minded children, but there should also be education programs aimed at adults and universities, who are able to implement change in the wider community.

The goal most often touted as of highest importance by a vast majority of zoos is that of conservation. Not only do zoos play a role in conservation through influencing people’s attitudes towards wildlife and inspiring behavioral changes that are consistent with better stewardship of the environment (Sterling, Lee and Wood 2007, 370) but they also play an important role in directly conserving species both within zoos and in the wild. Many zoos are actively involved in breeding and reintroduction programs as well as having affiliations with local and international conservation programs. Instances where zoos have been able to successfully reintroduce species to wild include the scimitar horned oryx, black-footed ferret, Prezwalski’s horse and chuditch. However, the viability of such populations, the negative effects on individuals reintroduced to the wild and the high costs involved have been criticized by many people. However, as Conway (2007, 17) notes “the history of reintroductions from captive propagation is discouraging, but hardly more so than in nature.” The role that zoos play in conservation is therefore critical in helping to produce and maintain populations of species which may no longer have any wild habitat remaining. Once these populations are established then it is more likely that there will be a push to preserve their wild habitats, thereby conserving not just one species but an entire ecosystem.

It is important to attract people to visit zoos so that their messages of conservation and education can be implemented, but in order to do this an element of recreation is often required. The exhibition of megafauna such as lions, tigers, bears and elephants is often one of the major draw cards to many zoos, but the keeping of such animals poses a number of animal welfare issues, as outlined previously. The dilemma is, however, that these animals are often needed to attract patrons to the zoo in order for them to learn about other less well known or charismatic animals which the zoos are aiming to conserve. Recreation is also required to help fund the conservation and education efforts of zoos. Conway (1995, 7) notes that “uniquely, zoo conservation action bends recreational dollars to conservation purposes,” however too heavy a focus on recreation can be seen to conflict with the welfare of the zoo animals. Zoos are sometimes seen using their animals in circus like performances, with little or no educational purpose, in order to bring in the crowds. Recreational focuses such as this should rightly be stopped, but the use of zoos of as a place of recreation should not. Zoos should be marketed to the public as family friendly places where viewing and interacting with the captive animals inspires awe and an eagerness to learn about and preserve the environment, an image which is much more in line with the conservation and education focus of the zoos.

One alternative to the current ethical dilemmas surrounding zoos would be a move towards open range zoos and wildlife reserves. Already in Australia there are a number of these including Monarto Zoo in South Australia, Western Plain Zoo in New South Wales and Werribee Open Range Zoo in Victoria. Zoos such as these are able to provide their animals with much larger enclosures, leading to a decrease in stereotypic behaviours and an increase in animal welfare. However there are obvious space limitations to introducing open range zoos world wide so an emphasis should be put on improving the conditions of already established enclosures.

Provided that the welfare of animals in zoos is not compromised and continues to improve, then the utilitarian viewpoint with regards to zoos can be accepted. The aims of conservation and education are achievable as long time and money is available to be spent in improving the situation. The role of recreation should not be underestimated, as although it may not appear to be seen to be in the best interests of the captive animals, the support it gives to the conservation and education role of zoos is important (provided animal welfare does not suffer). A move towards open range zoos and conservation parks is a step in the right direction where a balance between the interests of humans, captive zoo animals, animals in the wild and the environment can be found.

By Crystal

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is an informative, well-written essay that seems fair and even-handed in its treatment of zoos. I liked reading about the "five freedoms" that are incorporated when discussing and analyzing zoos in the United Kingdom.

3. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have read the first two paragraphs and would love to read more so far Great! I will read the rest when I have time.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member