Join our zoo community

Zoo exibit design competition

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Asiaticlion2015, 9 Jul 2016.

1. Asiaticlion2015

Asiaticlion2015 Well-Known Member

Hi let me explain how this competition ,pick a number between 1-10 then I'll give you an animal to design an exibit for. Once that number has been picked you can't pick it again. Once all numbers have gone I'll announce 6 winners who will advance to the next round then in the second round 4 winners will be picked. And so on till we have a winner. Let the designing begin.

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I pick number 9 :)

I must say very interesting or intrigant game, I instantly put smile on my face

3. Asiaticlion2015

Ok 9 is Red Kangaroo. Get Designing. No set number of the animal either so you can choose how many you want.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Ok then. I am moment here, and moment no, because I am working from my laptop.

I would design exhibit for up to maximum 5 adult red kangaroos (with their youngs), because this species it's not threatened, although it is relatively rarer to see in zoos in Europe, and population in a zoo should remain in stringent control (primarly allowing space for more threatened species).

As red kangaros have simplistic needs (eg. they live in plane terrain, are not inteligent as some other animals, they are not flying/are not arboreal (no need for three-dimensional space - if we exclude jumping), and don't have special delicate diet and no particular needs for behavioral enrichment, other than enough spacious enclosure and social groupings), I would design simple, rational (space-smart, because space is limiting factor), naturalistic multi-part enclosure (exhibit):

-Three neighborring outdoor enclosures: One long, for runing and jumping (60 m x 5 m, fenced with wire fence with heigh 2.5 m), and two more centralised, 225.0 m2 each (15x15 m) (fenced with wire fence, with heigh 2.5 m).

-Indoor encolosure (four parts), with dimensions 8x4 m (4 quarters, 2x4 m), made of, partially concrete and partially from plastic doubled pannels). The climate here allows red kangaroo to spent several hours a day outside, even in the coldest winter months.

-Outdoor enclosures would allow growing of grass (when they will be left empty from red kangaroos for up to 7-10 days). They will also have sand bath, small concrete pool (for drinking water), and small short trees (like wild olives primarly as shelter from sun) (runing enclosure will not be planted with trees). peripheraly arounf outdoor enclosures, there will be planted several native tea plants (rich on eteric oils, manganese, other minerals and microelements, carotenoides, vitamin E, vitamin K (who is particularly important for anteaters and other Edentata, for adwarks, pangolins) etc.), wich will be used as food for kangaroos.

-Indoor enclosure will have flloor of sand (or red sand-soil), with some hay. The roof will be partially openable for allowing direct sun to enter and reach to the animals or to the floor). In the winter, it will be heated from severeal sources: solar panels, electricity, and glass-garden effect.

-There will be additional, 2 separatory enclosures, each measuring 16 m2 (4x4 m).

-Enclosures will not be double-fenced (as for greater security, like I would propose for more dangerous (and threatened) species, like carnivores, non-human primates, venomous snakes, crocodiles, very valuable non-dangerous zoo animals (like koalas for example), etc.)

-Enclosures from two sides will be fenced also with plastic pannels, for reducing noice level from visitors.

-Nothing spectacular, but it is basically natural and coping with natural terrain in Australia inhabited by red kangaroos. Also cheap to build, as I always try to choose cheaper options (greater chance of realizing) (lower budget).

Last edited: 9 Jul 2016
  5. longleat diego

longleat diego Well-Known Member

ill pick 3:)

6. Asiaticlion2015

Ok an easy one Humbolt penguins. No set amount again. Get designing.

7. Asiaticlion2015

1,2,4,5,6,7,8,10 left

8. Nikola Chavkosk

I am wondering whether there is a venomous snake species (particularly elapid) hidden behind one of these numbers.... :) love to see the outcome :D

9. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

I'll pick number seven, please

10. Loricua22

Loricua22 Well-Known Member

I'll pick #3, please.

11. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

I'll have 5 please!:)

12. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Number 4, please.

13. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

I'll take 8. Hopefully it's for something fun.

14. Asiaticlion2015

Sorry it has taken so long my laptop has been in for repair. Anyway 7 is a pair of Snow leopards.

15. Asiaticlion2015

Ok number 5 is a pair of Bornean Orangutans.

16. Asiaticlion2015

4 is Rothschild’s giraffe. No set amount.

17. Asiaticlion2015

A pair of Giant Panda.

18. Asiaticlion2015

1,2,6,8,10 are left spread the word.

19. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

They would live in a large avariy type thing counstructed out of metal that is 60 meters long, 20 meters wide and about 14 meters high. It would look very much like the Great Flight Avairy form Melbourne zoo. It would have rows of automatic misters along the type of it which would spray down mist every 20 minutes or so.

Many Bornean rainforest trees and plants would be planted throughout it and there would be a large pool at the front of the exhibit. It would be walk through with a large board walk snaking through the tree tops 8 meters of the ground of the exhibit. The entry and exit would have two doors on them each and one door can not be opened unless the other one is closed (to prevent the orangutans escaping). There would also be eight large platforms for the orangutans to nest on spread out throughout the exhibit.

There would also be two guards position with tazers and tranquilliser guns that would shot the orangutan (if it attacked someone) and the tazers to shot people (if they tried to hurt the orangutans). There would also be an area towards the end of the exhibit that would be clear of rainforest plants and filled with palm oil, to show how people making palm oil plantations destroys the rainforest. There would also be sign showing people a list of commonly bought foods that contain Palm oil and telling people not to buy them, there would also be a donation box and all donations would go to WWF to supporting wild orangutans.

Sorry if you cannot understand parts of this as it was hard to put into words.;)
    Good luck to the rest of you!:D

Last edited: 24 Jul 2016
  20. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

The exhibit is about half an acre, with rock walls and a large viewing area, We also have a café up high, so you can see them from heights. The front has a large pond, with pebbles. When it is summer, the pond is regularly filled with cool water, for the snow leopards to keep cool. Grass are in patches that are surrounded by rocks, as the snow leopards live in rocky habitats in the Himalayas. A bare tree sits in the left of the front area. At the back is a rocky hill with rocky paths, When it is time for feeding, the keepers throw the food on the hill, for the leopards to keep active. A motor-powered deer will keep the leopards active and practice their catching skills. A cave serves as a indoor area, with temperate plants and benches. A mesh roof sits at the top in order to prevent the pair from escaping.