Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Zoo Film, 1940s

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 7 May 2015.

Tags:
  1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for posting! I cringed while watching the chimpanzees in clothes doing tricks in a metal cage, as well as at the posing bears begging for treats...but watching the hoofstock in the Red Rocks zone was interesting. That section of the zoo is still excellent and looking much greener than the images in the black-and-white movie. Now that the bear grottoes have been refigured into Polar Bear Point and the future Grizzly Bear habitat, it would be interesting to note what parts of Saint Louis Zoo are still in existence from 70 years ago.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's interesting that they felt the need to put zillions of individuals in every enclosure. How many klipspringers were there? 27? 28?

Why aren't more zoos today dressing up their chimps in cute outfits and teaching them circus tricks? People would love it.

Seriously though, what happened to all of the former cute young performing chimps once they grew up? We're they sent to other zoos? Euthanized? They must have gone through a lot of chimps over the decades.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

five or six that I saw?

I liked that video, it was fun, apart for the chimp circus which was kind of disturbing.

5. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Chimps were just depressing but, I can't believe how many awful puns they managed to squeeze in!

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Hard to believe that Red Rocks is older than WWII. I think the giraffes in that video were in the exact same paddock where they are today!

It's interesting that they didn't show any of the Houses or the Flight Cage, which has been there since it opened in 1904.