Join our zoo community

Zoo gorillas to be given TVs

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Simon Hampel, 17 Feb 2004.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would a captive born animal recognise/understand their 'own habitat' - they might be more likely to appreciate Zoodays!

I like the initial premise of this - that TV will make the animals think more when TV is constantly cited as something not to stick kids in front of because it doesn't make them think at all!

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  2. darlingsapphire

darlingsapphire Member

Of course zoo animals know and understand why they are away from their natural home -
    believe me, animals are not stupid. They may like certain things about zoos, like shelter
    from extreme weather, physical care when ill, food always available;BUT the horrible fact
    of having to be stared at, ridiculed, offensive gestures, intimidation, loud noises, the lack
    of freedom to go outside when they want (in case of fire, etc). The latter things could
    very easily be solved if humans cared enough to show empathy.

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What does this mean? They understand WHY they are in zoos?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

by any chance do you believe the animals are talking to you?

I like the simple world that simple people live in :)

5. Chlidonias

that's what I first thought of when I read Pertinax's post: zoo apes were mostly not wild-born so wouldn't "understand" a jungle any more than they would the trees around the zoo grounds. I suspect Pertinax simply didn't word himself in the exact way he meant.

6. Chlidonias

in the Twycross book "Chimps With Everything" Molly Badham noted that when they were keeping their first two gorillas in the house along with two chimps, all four animals were kept engrossed watching the tv

7. darlingsapphire

darlingsapphire Member

My goodness,I wish humans would open up their brains. Animals understand more than
    what you think they do. Animals will never release their secrets of knowing to just
    anyone - what's the use, or what's the point, one might say. Pure clairvoyancy, tele-
    pathy is what is needed, and most humans do not possess this wonderful trait, this is why most humans think or believe animals are dumb,which is totally untrue.Another
    reason why animals appear to be dumb to some humans is due to a lack of trust.

8. Chlidonias

I'm not sure you're on the right forum. Perhaps you need one for religious anti-zoo telepaths? Um, I'm sure such a forum must exist somewhere....there's all sorts of people on the internet after all.

9. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

I think you should check your pets, especially if you have a cat. They are plotting to kill you!
    :D

10. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

On a serious note - in Prague there is a tv with some educational time loop video about gorillas on one side of visitors pathway, monitor facing the exhibit. Moja (6) was filmed looking that way wth great interest evn climbing higher if those damned visitors got in her view. :)

11. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Yes and when it came to the exiting bit young Joe went to the television set picked it up and smashed it into pieces, there is no truth in the rumour that Crossroads was on at the time.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, your right, I overlooked that most Apes nowadays are zoobred, so wouldn't recognise jungles or their own natural habitat if they saw it on TV. I was really thinking of the general concept for wild-caught Apes., and they are a thing of the past to all intents and purposes.

Regarding TV's for Apes. I think perhaps there may be a novelty factor involved- an Ape seeing a TV for the first time might be engrossed in the images, but whether it understands what its seeing and this is what holds its attention I am not so sure? However, its proven Apes understand their own reflections, so if they can do that maybe they do 'understand' the concept of televised images too.
    Twycross certainly believed their Apes enjoyed TV, as it was installed in the adult Gorillas' first house. But despite several visits when the TV was on, I never saw Joe or any other Gorilla so much as glance in its direction. Bored with TV?

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Right think its time for me to go and talk to my Lesser Fijian Troll`s again as they seem appear to make more sense than anything you are saying in all your post`s!!!

14. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Do not bring sun wukon back onto these forums!