Join our zoo community

Zoo Guide Exchange

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Mrhinuk, 21 Nov 2014.

1. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

I was unable to attend Zoohistorica in Cologne earlier this year, nor have I attended previous meetings. I am, however, always impressed by the published photos of the zoo guide exchange which takes place during the course of the meeting. Is anyone aware of any forums in the UK where similar exchanges take place?

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The IZES usually have a Spring meeting which is localised version of the European shindig. If you're not already a member of the IZES, it is certainly worth joining.....

3. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We're looking into arrangements for a Spring meeting. One idea is to include an evening session, which would combine a buffet meal with showing of episode(s) of the classic TV series from 1969, 'Great Zoos of the World'. It would most likely be held in the south-east.
    Any feedback from members or potential members would be welcomed.

4. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

IZES Spring Meeting

Any update on this meeting? It would be great if IZES were a catalyst for zoo memorabilia collectors in the UK, but how active is the organization? The IZES website seems to be sadly out of date (still advertising 2013 Zoohistorica Meeting in Bristol), or am I missing something somewhere?

5. MikeG

Don't worry: the only thing you're 'missing' is the fact that the IZES is run by elderly technophobes who fail to keep the website updated! But the Society is alive & well, and the next issue of our magazine Zoo Grapevine will be snail-mailing its way to subscribers next week.
    Regarding the meeting, we've decided to switch from a Spring to an Autumn date. Here's the reason & such details as we have at the moment:

"Autumn 2015 sees the 20th Anniversary of the Independent Zoo Enthusiasts Society, initiated by Tim Brown in the wake of increasing anti-zoo publicity during the late 1980s/early ‘90s, and to pursue an active interest in the zoos of today, all around the globe. At some point in late September/early October we will arrange a special weekend of events at one, two, possibly three different zoos including an evening buffet/film show. As soon as we have a definite date we will let everyone know."

6. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I received mine 3 days ago so thank you :D I'm looking forward to a date being published as it takes me forever to book time off of work. Fingers crossed I can make a meet up though!

7. MikeG

Friday 2nd & Saturday 3rd October.
    These are the dates for the "Twenty Years of the I.Z.E.S." anniversary meeting. A special weekend has been arranged at the Rare Species Conservation Centre and The Wildwood Trust (Kent).
    Friday 2nd sees an evening icebreaker at the RSCC with food and a chance to meet with owner Todd Dalton. Saturday morning will include a swap/meet of zoo ephemera plus a look at this fascinating collection. In the afternoon we move to Wildwood to see their collection of European animals, followed by an evening of food and film ("Great Zoos of The World" and "At Home in the Zoo"[Belle Vue, Manchester]).
    Because of catering, etc. an idea of numbers would be useful, so an
    indication of possible attendance (sent to [email protected]) is much appreciated. A timetable and costs will be sent to those who express an interest (no obligation!).