Join our zoo community

Zoo guidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by robmv, 12 Aug 2007.

Tags:
  1. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Yes, and forgive me for heading away from the thread, but there's also (or used to be) a "special" exhibit hidden behind the Muller's/Siamang island that's only visible from the VIP function room in the bistro - it used to have a group of cotton-top tamarins in it.

That's them! Pig-tailed macaques. You young pups can sure help an old fella with Alzheimer's remember the old days! ;)

Yes, the pygmy hippo exhibits were a row of three (I think), glass-fronted exhibits, with under-cover walkway for the visitors. The pygmy hippo night dens backed onto the side of the old ele barn. They were basically big concrete water troughs. They now have the large cycads in the Japanese garden growing over where they used to be.

I'll have to check the guidebook this evening, but I think the tiger exhibit in that book was along the side wall, down near the back entrance. Behind the lake that used to have the white-handed gibbons on it. (Did you ever hear the story about the naked man that lived on that island???:D)

Yup - It was a very bold and modern move to remove that fence, and have an "open-moated" exhibit. Very forward thinking at the time ;)

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

nice one. melbourne certainly has quite a holding capacity as far as city zoos go. the squirrel monkeys are often off display, not sure ehere they live (maybe that tamarin enclosure) and too is a second group of spider monkeys i think. but all these islands are going to come in handy when the time comes to rip down the treetop apes exhibit!

dont ask me how i remembered that! i may have been about 8 when i last saw them!!

please tell...........

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

please dont tell, stay on thread ;)

4. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I've got four diffrent Guidebooks from Western plains Zoo, 1986 (Tiger),1993 ( White Rhinos ),1996 ( black Rhino with calf ), 2002 ( Tiger).

Cazhy, hope, you'll read his, I' colelct Zoogudiebooks since many years and I'm very interested in australian guidebooks, so iT woulb be great, if you could the new guidebooks from your zoos, and we can exchange, I have a lot of double guidebooks from around the world. But I'm afraid,s ome of the big australian zoos do not publish any longer a gudiebook, so melbourne has published the latest edition in 2001 ( or is there a new edition now ? ), and Perth has published in 1999 a real guide. They had a small guide in 2004.

I have scaned all my guidebook covers, and these are now more than 3270 guidebooks ( I need several months for that ) so make a guidebook catalog. So the problem is, how I can get the covers on cd, I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know, how I can make the pictures smaller, to get all of them on one or two cds. Unfortunately, I don't know someone who could help me.

5. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi does anyone know how many guide books Marwell Zoo has published i have about 11 different ones if any one knows i would be very grateful for any information:)

6. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zooman1 l have a marwell guide book. It would have to be at least 25 years old. Interesting it has no publish date in it!

It has drawings of animals on the cover conntained in a circle. Tiger at the bottom and hunting dog at the top of circle.With 10 animals in total in the circle. If that helps you to id it.

7. zooman1

Thank you zooman that is one i have not got so that makes its at least 12 they have done then many thanks :)

8. Zebraduiker

I have 15 diffrent guides from Marwell:

1972-Tiger
    1977-Giraffe, waterbucks
    1979 Tiger lying in front of a tree
    1982-Tiger with cubs
    1984-Snowleopard
    1985- diffrent drawing animals
    1987-cheetah
    1989 -golden lion tamarin
    1994-tiger in water
    1995-white rhino
    1998-ring tailed lemurs
    2000-somali wild ass with foal
    2002- amur leopard
    2004-red panda
    2006 diffrent animal eyes

9. zooman1

i have just check mine and i have 14 which are

1 Grevy's Zebra and Scimitar Horned Oryx outside the Hall
    2 Amur Tiger sitting on rocks
    3 Amur Tiger laying by a tree
    4 Giraffe and Waterbucks with 3 smaller pics on the top ( Red Panda,Amur Tiger and Brazilian Tapir)
    5 Amur Tiger family
    6 Snow Leopard
    7 Amur Tiger in water
    8 Cheetah and cub
    9 White Rhino
    10 Ring Tailed Lemur family
    11 Somali Wild Ass and foal
    12 Jaguar face
    13 Red Panda
    14 Many different eye

i know off to others Golden lion Tamarin and one of many different drawings does anyone else know of any others

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The best place to find out is Zoo History and go to the contents page and click on the section for the list of all known U.K zoo guide books,this list contains dates where known and a description of the covers and in some cases other information to indentify diffferent varients of some guide books.

11. zooman1

Thank you zoo giraffe for the information had a look this morning and it's been very useful cheers:):)

12. Zebraduiker

I've started to post all the Frankfurt Zooguidebook covers with some informations to the guides in the Frankfurt Thread of the Gallery. Hope, all collectors will like it.

13. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. zooman1

Does anyone know which zoos in Europe publishe a English guide book i know that Berlin Zoo does

15. Zebraduiker

Hi Newzooboy, I have to complete them, some guidebooks from Frankfurt are still missing.

If soembody is intersted in, I can post all the maps of Frankfurt Zoo.

@zooman1. I think, most of the british zoos publish an english guidebook....
    Yes, berlin Zoo has an english edition ( with Knut on the cover) and Leipzig Zoo, the Berlin Sealife Center has an english edition, too. The Wild Animal park Lüneburger heide has a english/german guide,but I think, thats all in germany. But a few other european zoos, mostly in the big cities, publish english editions, too.

Today I've got the 2007 edition of the Parc Paradioso, a great guidebook, over 250 pages with brilliant pictures, details maps of some areas and a map of the whole park, very good, unfortunately, its not available in english .

16. zooman1

Thanks for the info Zebraduiker will have to keep a look out for them then

17. Newzooboy

Artis Guidebook date?

Can anyone help me with a guidebook date. Artis Zoo, Amsterdam with close up of Toucan on cover......bought on visit in 2000, but clearly published before that as map from same visit is different.

Thanks

18. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you have a picture of it, as there have been multiple guidebooks with toucan on the cover from Artis.... I expect you have one from ±1996...

19. Newzooboy

I do have a picture but zoochat won't let me upload for some reason......jpg wrong file extension???

Anyway, it is a close up of the Toucan's eye..........1996 sounds about right. On the visit in March 2000, the new extension for African hoofstock, etc had literally just opened.......the guidebook map (nor the actual free map) show the extension, so I guess they produced a new guidebook soon after, but were still using the 1996 one on that visit

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

When the site hopped to the new software, Sim disabled the ability to attach images to posts directly - you will have to upload it to the gallery :)