Join our zoo community

Zoo guidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by robmv, 12 Aug 2007.

Tags:
  1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah.......ok......thanks TLD

2. Newzooboy

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Nov 2017
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very odd.... as far as I know that guide is pretty old - a lot older than 1996 - although I don't know a precise release date. All the guidebooks released by the collection in the 1990's used this logo:

[​IMG]

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This one is indeed a lot older, maybe @Kifaru Bwana knows the exact date this one was published...

5. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1978/79 I think. I have two versions of this guidebook, one of which includes a photo of Black Rhino: a species was last held at Artis in 1978. In the second (presumably later) version, this photo has been replaced by one of an Indian Rhino.

6. TeaLovingDave

If only more collections sold decades-old guidebooks :p I really enjoyed the giftshop at Tierpark Berlin which was used for said purpose, and which has since been given the axe.

German Zoo World likes this.
  7. Newzooboy

Thanks both...........I'm a bit confused now......I had thought I had bought this guide on a visit in 2000......there was also a separate map inside it......which I assumed was from this visit. No it seems I may have acquired this guide separately from the visit. The guide has picture of indian rhino, so I guess guide from 78 and map from 79 visit?

8. Newzooboy

Right looks like guide book is 78/79 as rob says....

So the question is....is the map from same era of actually from the 2000 visit to the zoo?

This is the cover of the map/ plan.

Artis Royal Zoo - Photo Galleries | ZooChat

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at the Artis logo, I would say yes.

10. Newzooboy

11. john thorpe

john thorpe Member

It's very unlikely,I know,but I wonder if anyone has a guide book for Winged World,where I worked as a keeper for several years in the 1970's.For those unfamiliar with this amazing softbilled bird collection near Morecambe ,Lancashire(long since extinct I'm afraid) ,it opened in 1966 and closed around 1979 to 80,and was home to many remarkable species which were rare or uncommon even then.Any documentation would be of interest and I'll be happy to share any info.I or my ex colleagues may have.Many thanks.

12. Zoo guide books

Zoo guide books Member 5+ year member

I have a copy of the Winged World guide plus a postcard from the park.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  13. john thorpe

john thorpe Member

Thanks very much for responding,I really appreciate your time and trouble .I know it's probably unlikely that you'd want to dispose of the items because you collect them,but if you ever want to sell or exchange,I would love to have first refusal.In the meantime would it be possible to have photocopies of them for my reference?i will of course compensate you and provide you with an address to send it to.Thanks once again and look forward to hearing from you.Perhaps it would be possible to post images from the card and guide?

14. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

During my Search for Online-Guidebooks, I 've found a 1830 edition of the London Zoo Guide, also available as a PDF-Download -but it is only fort he bird collection.

https://ia803107.us.archive.org/9/items/b29348249_0002/b29348249_0002.pdf

Here are the mammals :

https://ia903107.us.archive.org/31/items/b29348249_0001/b29348249_0001.pdf

1831 Edition:

https://ia800901.us.archive.org/16/items/gardensmenagerie11831benn/gardensmenagerie11831benn.pdf

Here is the 1833 London Zoo guide:

https://ia600401.us.archive.org/23/items/Listanimalsgard00Zool/Listanimalsgard00Zool.pdf

Maybe an inoffical Guide to London Zoo, 1837 :

https://ia800902.us.archive.org/6/items/listofanimalsing00zool/listofanimalsing00zool.pdf

And here ist the Calcutta Zooguide from the Year 1883 .

https://ia903102.us.archive.org/7/items/guidetocalcuttaz00ande/guidetocalcuttaz00ande.pdf

There are lot fo more guides, available on this page, also a 1877 edition of the first New York Aquarium , and two Philadelphia Guides, 1876 and 1905, some Bronx-Zoo guides, an old Cincinnati Guide-the search continues...

Last edited: 23 Sep 2020
  15. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking for information on how to find UK guide books from the past please?

16. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

eBay...?

17. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tried that useless as usual just a odd few mostly from US not UK I am looking for information and front covers only not the full guide book.

18. TeaLovingDave

I've never had problems sourcing UK guidebooks from Ebay - I had a very nice old London guide from 1937 arrive in the post a week or two ago, for instance. In fact, usually one finds that US guidebooks are few and far between there - this week there are more than usual due to one particular seller, mind you.

Either way, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone selling only the front covers :p and an even harder time buying any other guidebooks if it got around you just want to remove the front covers!

TNT and Andrew Swales like this.
  19. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Very far from 'useless' actually. There are dozens for sale at the moment. Unusual ones crop up all the time, and like TLD I've never had problems adding some interesting ones, and replacements for those which did not stand my (ab)use.
    I've never heard of anyone selling just the front covers, and would expect many collectors will now refuse to sell you any of their duplicates, now they know what you intend to do with them...

20. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

I have exactly 918 zoo guides from the UK. And I have all the covers scanned on my PC. I could burn them onto a CD for you if you want, and then you can print them out. But of course I don't do it for free.