Join our zoo community

Zoo Guides.

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by keeper19er, 4 Dec 2007.

1. Al

Al Well-Known Member

ive got 235 guide books so far and an going to collectors fair in anwerp tis year so hope to double collection!:D

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I`ve got over 700 guides and know a few people who have got well over 1000.

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

Ok when you ppeople sadley pass on, can i be in your will for your international collection of zoo guides ;) I would say i only have 20 or so lol!

4. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I used to have an old London one with a kinkajou on the front. Does anyone know what year that'd be? I'm not quite sure where it is at the moment, but it wouldn't get chucked so I'm assuming it is somewhere at home.

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

this is quite sad isnt it? lol
    id estimate id have about 15 zoo guides, mainly Australian ones dating back as far as the 1970s. ive also got about 50 zoo specific non-fiction books and 15 folders stuffed full of zoo stuff, articles etc and hundreds upon hundreds of newspaper clippings. how sad am i.

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

lol not sad glyn, i have every WPZ guide book, even the original from when it first open 30 yrs ago (thnx mark). and u think 15 folders is sad- try 2 filing cabinet draws full, plus a whole bottom draw of my tallboy, as well as my desk draws, and book cases. lol now i am sad and thats final (but hay when i live 3 hours from each zoo, i need to remain passionate!)

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I myself have about 200 guidebooks including over 1000 maps of zoos/aquariums and over 300 books filling up 5 (4-shelved) bookcases. A fair bit of my literature was saved from be recycled. I have lots of extra maps/leaflets if anyone would be willing to trade - they are mainly American zoos.

8. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Time for an update on my guidebooks...

- London Zoo 2006 (Squirrel Monkeys on cover)
    - London Zoo 2000 (Galago cover)
    - London Zoo 1997
    - London Zoo 1994
    - London Zoo 1980 (Giant Panda Cover)
    - London Zoo 1983 (1st edition Orang Utan cover)
    - London Zoo 1965

- Whipsnade Zoo 2006
    - Whipsnade Zoo 1999

- Chester Zoo 1991
    - Chester Zoo 1992
    - Chester Zoo 1997
    - Chester Zoo 1998
    - Chester Zoo 1999
    - Chester Zoo 2001
    - Chester Zoo 2002
    - Chester Zoo 2003
    - Chester Zoo 2004

- Twycross Zoo 1998
    - Twycross Zoo 2003

- Jersey Zoo 2004
    - Jersey Zoo 1995

- West Midland Safari Park (versions from 1998-2005)

- Knowsely Safari Park 2004

- Marineland, Mallorca 1999

- Seaworld, Florida 2000

- The various leaflet maps from Chester, Monkey Forest, Terra Natura et al

Unfortunately, I have been banned from bidding on any guide books from a particular seller on ebay, for me leaving a negative feedback. So I will not get many more vintage ones...

Last edited: 16 Mar 2008
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

The interesting thing about North American zoos is that the vast majority of them do not have any type of guide book. There are pamphlets/leaflets/maps, but no thick book like the ones that are regularly produced all over Europe and Australia.

10. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Most North American zoos had at least one guide book at one time or the other (mostly 1970s or 80s). Only a few still publish guide books and not regularly:

Philadelphia, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, San Diego, Toronto and many aquariums.

However a lot of the older zoos are now publishing History Books.

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have guide books from the Vancouver Aquarium, San Diego Zoo and Toronto Zoo, but none of the others I've visited in North America have produced anything other than standard maps. Oh well, time to track down the ones that still have guide books...

12. zoospud

zoospud Well-Known Member

Dear All

Our US master list now has approximately 700 guides listed.

The list is still in draft status so copies are available by email request only.

At the moment the list only contains guides from the USA.

We hope to include Canada soon = North American master list !

Zoo History
    Regards, Paul M, joint webmaster The Bartlett Society.

13. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I do wish zoos would publish the map of the grounds as part of the guidebook rather than as a separate insert. I can understand why more and more zoos are deciding to publish it as a separate insert (it's easier and a lot cheaper to republish that rather than the whole guide to take accunt of new exhibits) but inevitably the insert map and the guide become separated over time, and it's annoying to have a guidebook from years ago but have no idea of the layout of the zoo at that time because the map has become lost.

14. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member

Paperclip? Staples? Store in a plastic pocket together? It's not a high kerb:D

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  15. woshiniyeye

woshiniyeye New Member

16. Roman27cz

Roman27cz Member

Hello,
    if anybody want to swop zoo memorabilia, visit this page: Na vým?nu ? For the swoping - there you can find thousands of zoo materials of all kinds. Really very various things are there - from common things like postcards or guidebook, leaflets etc. through pins, buttons, posters, coins, calendars etc. to many unorthodox things. Everything both new and old - from all over the world but especially from Czech r., Slovakia and countries of former Soviet Union.

17. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Hi Shorts,

Sorry I wasn't very explicit. I DO keep the insert map with the guide that it originally came with, in very sturdy boxes; and I religiously mark both the guide and the map with the probable year in which they were first issued. No, what I meant was that one inevitably finds that second- or third-hand guides that one purchases at ephemera sales or off a certain internet auction site, have generally become detached from their map. Previous owners of the guide are generally not as careful about these things as you or I.

18. Fuzzball

Fuzzball Active Member

@Roman27cz

I'm interested in some of the broschures and guides. What can I do for swope ?

19. Roman27cz

Roman27cz Member

postcards, printed materials (books, guidebook, leaflets etc.). You can send me scanned offer by e-mail: wzd(a)wzd.cz

20. pinkback

pinkback Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting thread. I must have a thousand or so guides, annual reports, zoo maps etc in the loft, plus IZN back as far as the 50s I think. It has got me thinking maybe I should pass them on, but I,ve never used anything like ebay. Any advise?