Join our zoo community

Zoo Györ Zoo Gyor News

Discussion in 'Hungary' started by vogelcommando, 1 Jan 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Young black rhino boy "Dayo", born 14 Oct 2014 at Zoo Berlin, was moved from Beekse Bergen to ZOO GYŐR on May 29, 2019 ... aged only 4.5 years, it's his 4th home now (Zoo Berlin, Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Beekse Bergen and Zoo Györ) ...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

A Baby Squirrel Monkey was born on April 21st according to a FB post.

HungarianBison likes this.
  4. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

5. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Two Dahomey dwarf cattles arrived in Spring. This month Győr's first dwarf cattle was born:)
    Btw Győr keeps Dahomey cattles together with Sacred baboons, which is an interesting mix.

6. HungarianBison

A Situtunga born:)

7. HungarianBison

New Pygmy hippo and African penguin enclosures built, 23 penguins and a new Pygmy hippo arrived:)

8. HungarianBison

Indian elephant arrived to the newly built elephant enclosure:) The new species will be able to see by visitors soon. The zoo expects to get other specimens.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From where did the pygmy hippo and Indian elephant arrive?

10. Jola

The (African) elefant is Bou-Bou, 16, from Le-Fleche. Soon a male from Toulouse and the boy from Sóstó will join him.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2021
  11. HungarianBison

Thanks for correction, the latter post of Győr's mayor just mentioned elephants, and I thought it'd be an Indian, because this species is much more frequent in Hungarian zoos than African elephant.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Jola

No problem :) Any idea where the new elefant house is located at the zoo? I was last there after the opening of the giraffe and rhino house. It's time for opening the borders so I can visit Györ and Veszprém and Sósto again ...

13. Kifaru Bwana

I presume that the elephant area is an extension of the giraffe and rhino savannah exhibits. It would be logical that the zoo might start either with a bachelor herd or a group of non-reproductive and elderly females. It seems that bachelor herd variety has won out. Will be interesting to keep an eye out on the news sites around Gyor in the next few weeks.

14. HungarianBison

I visited Győr in 2019, when building of this house hasn't started, so I have no idea. But I can ask Győr Zoo's former head of education about it:)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Please do so, thanks in advance.

BTW: If you open GOOGLE.MAPS and ZOOM in on the Xantos Janos Allatkert map in the GIS detail you will notice the landscape is hugely different from their own digital map. In the SE part of the zoo there is a considerable area with big indoor hall visible and some 3 to 4 different earthen works bare with visible barriers and bars between exclosures. I assume that will be the new elephant habitat.

NOTA BENE:
    I also think (assume .... as I got confused that it is not crammed in in the NW hide out ....) their giraffe and rhino areas are not placed on their own zoo map. It would be helpful if they recreate a better zoo map or at least an updated one ... would all save us some time..

16. HungarianBison

@Kifaru Bwana I asked the former head of education, Mr. Nagy. He answered that the new elephant, pygmy hippo and penguin exhibits were built to the place of a former football pitch, nearby the giraffe and rhino houses. This place has bought recently by the zoo. Long-term purpose is the geographical settlement of animals at the whole zoo.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2021
    Jola and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

I am looking forward to this!

I did note the current zoo plan is not up to date with new rhino, giraffe and elephant areas.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2021
  18. Jola

@HungarianBison thanks for asking. Now I've got an idea where the new enclosures/houses might be located. It must be opposite the outdoor paddocks of the rhinos. I was there a few days after the opening of the rhino house, find some photos on Facebook on my Rhinos in Europe page. :)

19. HungarianBison

Győr's second African elephant, the 20 yrs old Pembe from Toulouse arrived:)

20. HungarianBison

Today the new Elephant House has been handed to the public. A few days ago a third elephant named Kito from Sóstó arrived. Győr Zoo will receive a fourth specimen in September, a bull named Rungwe from Magdeburg. The new indoor is a passive house. Besides the big hall, there are four personal boxes and an outdoor, which is one hectare big.
    Here is an article in Hungarian and a gallery: Győrben nyílt meg az ország legmodernebb elefántháza - Győr Plusz