Join our zoo community

Zoo Highlights of 2014!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ThylacineAlive, 11 Dec 2014.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I first visited Artis in 1995. It was shortly after Ajax Amsterdam had defeated AC Milan in the European Cup final; at the same time, a popular pan-European hit had a chorus using fruity language to query the identity of a girl called Alice. These two happenings came together with, around every corner of the zoo, small huddles of boys and young men to be found chanting, tunelessly but loudly, "Milan, Milan, who the f*** is Milan?". This, allied to the rather horrible cages and pits for, in particular, manatees, polar bears and orang utans, left me thinking of Artis as the poor relation of the Dutch zoo world.

Since then, it's been a once-a-decade zoo for me (compared to, say, Antwerp and Rotterdam, which I would have down as once-every-five-years places).

Mid 2000s: new African area looking good. Zoo looking much smarter. Some of the dodgier areas being redeveloped. No chanting football supporters.
    This year: that African bit has matured very nicely; the restaurant is excellent (both architecturally and nutritionally!), the reworking of the monkey and bird houses is very good, and some of the older areas still look clean and tidy, and loved (small mammal house, pheasantry). The zoo as a whole is one of the most charismatic in Europe, but its animal welfare does not suffer due to its antiquity, as was possibly the case 20 years ago - although the rehousing of the elephants is overdue. And still no chanting Ajax fans.

Only gripe: Artis has traditionally produced one of the best zoo guides in Europe, and it is a real shame that they no longer do so.

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Within the UK:-

• The Rare Species Conservation Centre (at Sandwich, Kent) reopening was a particular highlight for me. I was especially pleased see the young fanaloka and I very much enjoyed my four visits to the RSCC this year (although it was slightly disappointing that neither the tarsiers nor the spotted cuscus were on exhibit; hopefully they will be on show next year).

• Another highlight for me was Whipsnade enriching its antelope collection by bringing back impala, blesbok, nilgai and Thomson’s gazelle; I’m delighted to see these species return to Whipsnade. (It would be good to see some new deer species added to the collection too!)

Outside the UK, highlights were my two trips to Germany:-

• In June I had a holiday in Berlin where, apart from one morning in the zoology museum (Museum fur Naturekunde), I spent most of the week at the two zoos. Although I’ve been to Berlin many times I never tire of visiting the Berlin zoos which are definitely my two favourites. On this visit, I was especially pleased to see both gerenuk and Chacoan peccary in the Tierpark, particularly the latter as this was a species I’d never seen before.

• In September I attended ZooHistorica which is always a thoroughly enjoyable event that makes a great opportunity to meet up with old friends. This year it was held in Cologne Zoo and, in addition to Cologne Zoo, whilst in that part of Germany I also visited Duisburg Zoo, Wuppertal Zoo, Krefeld Zoo and Munster Zoo; all zoos that I’d been to many times before but ones that are well worth revisiting. On this trip I also went to the Koenig Zoology Museum in Bonn; this museum was new to me and I was especially impressed by the African Diorama.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

* Seeing a baby giant panda for the first time at the Smithsonian National Zoo.
    * Opening of the penguin exhibit at the Maryland Zoo.
    * Snow days at the Maryland Zoo with the polar bears.
    * Going to Disney's Animal Kingdom and resort to see animals. Especially the safari ride.
    * Going to the Cincinnati Zoo and being able to see a Sumatran rhino.
    * Going to the Louisville Zoo to see a tapir close up and check out their polar bear exhibit.
    * Revisiting the Columbus Zoo to see Nanuq the polar bear and to check out their new African exhibit.

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I also made it to around 40 collections in my spare time.

Austria:
    Tiergarten Schonbrunn & Desert house*
    Haus des Meeres*
    Vienna butterfly house*

Belgium:
    Antwerp Zoo*
    Aquatopia*

Egypt:
    Alexandria Aquarium
    Alexandria Zoo
    Lion’s Village Alexandria

Germany:
    Erlebnis-Zoo Hannover*
    Hannover Sea Life Centre*
    Hannover botanical gardens*
    Landesmuseum aquarium*
    Hagenbeck & Tropenaquarium*
    Leipzig Zoo*
    Nuremberg Zoo*
    Berlin Zoo & Aquarium
    Berlin Tierpark
    Aquadom Berlin
    Weltvogelpark Walsrode*

Slovakia:
    Bratislava Zoo*

Spain - Tenerife:
    Camel Park*
    Jungle Park
    Monkey Park
    Loro Parque
    Siam Park
    Aqualand*

Switzerland:
    Zurich Zoo

Turkey:
    Istanbul Aquarium

UK:
    Sea Life Scarborough*
    Birmingham Nature Centre
    National Sea Life Centre
    Birmingham Botanical Gardens
    Knowsley Safari Park*
    Liverpool World Museum*
    London Zoo
    Twycross Zoo
    Desford Tropical Birdland
    Woburn Safari Park*
    Woburn Abbey*
    Whipsnade Zoo
    Woodside Animal Farm*

Walsrode was a highlight for me too, as were the tour of Loro Parque's breeding facility and finally making it to Antwerp.

6. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Aaaaaargh, I was just passing the Kangaroos at Flamingo Land late yesterday afternoon when I realised this was an unintended lie! A friend from Birmingham visited Bridlington in early September, meaning I was not there on the 7th (I raced up there though after seeing him off at the railway station on Monday lunchtime).

7. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I visited 21 zoos this year with 11 new zoos, my highlights were fanaloka at RSCC, least weasel at British nature centre (a lovely little place!), Yorkshire wildlife park in general which is a very nice collection growing very very quickly at a high standard, also seeing all 5 tenrec species found in captivity at various collections public and private :)

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I will post my highlights after my last zoo visit on the 30th.

9. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

I only visited 7 collections 3 new to me (Philly, Queens, and Prospect Park).
    Queens and Prospect Park were Standard, nothing to exciting, but Philly was full of surprises. Saw my first Andean bears (didn't see them at Queens) and first red shanks.
    Staten Island was the first time I saw all reptiles after abot 5 visits this year,and got to see my first Arctic Foxes.
    Bronx was a surprise because ,yes, I went 3 times this year,but everything was active.Ibex head butting, Polar bear and tigers swimming, Brown bear fighting and getting food on hind legs,birds flying everywhere,gorillas doing the greatest poses(as well as seeing the babies),bison chasing each other,monkies and langurs swinging,kiwi pecking the glass,penguins swimming,elephants trying to reach up to the monorail,rhinos wallowing in mud/chasing each other,gelada calling and chasing each other,leopards moving around for once,most snakes slithering,crocs/gators/gharials swimming,lizards walking or eating,tapirs swimming,komodos eating,sea lions jumping into the water,mandrills yawning,red river hogs finding food,etc.
    NY Aquarium was a bit boring considering most of it was closed.
    Central Park was a bit of fun mainly because of sakis, macaques, and snow leopards all moving and having fun.

10. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo highlights for me in 2014 are many, but will stick to just a couple of main ones.

Visiting 10 German collections and seeing a good few species I've wanted to see for many years, including gerenuk and manatee. Also amazon river dolphin, red-shanked douc langur, chinese pangolin, shoebill and a whole host of other rarities

Chinese giant salamander going on show at London Zoo - the UK has been in desperate need of this fantastic species which isn't too uncommon when one looks to the continent. Hopefully lammergeier will be another example of this in the future as I would love to see the species on our shores.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Just think, you have me to thank for your seeing the pangolin, gerenuk and manatee ;) :p

12. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pangolin yes as wouldn't have had the confidence to use the trains back then, but you'll recall we were going to do the Berlins anyway on the cheapest week in April, which coincidentally was the same week you picked :p

13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

[​IMG]

;)

~Thylo:cool:

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only one thing I can say, adopting a chimpanzee at Chester Zoo.:eek:

Second was seeing impala at Whipsnade, in the company of four very good friends.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2014
  15. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So, I've seen 40 zoos this year (with the 28 that are in bold new collections for me)....
    1. Zoo Budapest, Hungary
    2. Tropicarium Oceanarium Budapest, Hungary

3. Zoo Warszawa, Poland
    4. Zoo Gdansk-Oliwa, Poland
    5. Akwarium Gdynskie MIR-PIB, Gdynia, Poland
    6. Fokarium Hel, Poland
    7. Zoo Torun, Poland
    8. Zoo Bydgoszcz, Poland
    9. Zoo Plock, Poland

10. Zoo Lodz, Poland
    11. Zoo Dresden, Germany
    12. Zoo Leipzig, Germany
    13. Tierpark Chemnitz, Germany

14. Oceanarium Bournemouth, England
    15. Aviary Bournemouth, England
    16. Seaview Wildlife Encounter, Isle of Wight, England
    17. Isle of Wight Zoo, Sandown, England

18. Amazon World Zoo Park, Isle of Wight, England
    19. Zoo Twycross, England
    20. The New Forest Wildlife Park, England
    21. Sea Life Weymouth, England
    22. Howletts Animal Park, England
    23. Port Lympne Animal Park, England
    24. Wingham Wildlife Park, England
    25. RSCC, England
    26. Sea Life Brighton, England

27. Zoo Wroclaw, Poland
    28. Zoo Dortmund, Germany
    29. Zoo Krefeld, Germany
    30. Allwetterzoo Munster, Germany
    31. ZOOM Erlebniswelt Gelsenkirchen, Germany

32. Zoo Wuppertal, Germany
    33. Zoo Koln, Germany
    34. Weltvogelpark Walsrode, Germany
    35. Wilhelma Stuttgart, Germany
    36. Zoo Heidelberg, Germany
    37. Zoo Frankfurt, Germany
    38. Zoo Augsburg, Germany

39. Birdworld, England
    40. Zoo Zamosc, Poland.

My Highlights for captive animals:
    - Eastern Quolls at Zoo Budapest, Leipzig and Frankfurt,
    - Short-tailed Spotted Cuscus at RSCC,
    - Formosan Pangolin at Zoo Leipzig,
    - Sulawesi Tarsier at RSCC,
    - Fanaloka at RSCC,
    - Black Giant Squirrel at Zoo Wroclaw,
    - two new for me subspecies of Giraffes (Angolan at Dortmund and Kordofan at Dresden),
    - Black-footed Cat at Port Lympne,
    - few new Guenons and Langurs at Twycross, Howletts, Gelsenkirchen, ...
    - Golden-necked Cassowary at RSCC,
    - Brown Tinamou at Walsrode,
    - Kaka at Stuttgart,
    - few new Fruit Doves at Koln,
    - Hypocolius at Zoo Heidelberg.

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Right here goes my highlights for 2014!!

Seeing a Polar Bear in a English public collection at YWP.
    Balabac Mouse Deer arriving at Chester Zoo.
    Visiting Manchester Sealife Centre and coming away pleasantly surprised by the place.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've got one more to add for me! I visited Bronx one last time and now have Mohol Bushbaby to add to my Highlight Mammals.

~Thylo:cool:

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited a total of four collections this year, two of them new to me.

1. Mogo Zoo
    2. Ugandan Wildlife Education Centre (formerly Entebbe Zoo)
    3. Meserani Snake Park (TZ)
    4. MBT Snake Park (TZ)

This would probably be the first year since 1976 that I haven't visited Taronga Zoo at least once.

:p

Hix

19. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My highlights of 2014 were when I went to Barcelona, Spain in September and visited the zoo and aquarium, I also visited Nordens Ark, Sweden at first time since 2005. :)

At Barcelona zoo I did see some new species like - Forest/ Congo buffalo, Angola impala, Sri Lanka leopard, Iberian wolf, Northern talapoin, Collared & White-naped mangabey.

At Nordens ark I did see Pallas cat for the first time.

20. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I'd be really interested to hear how the two Tanzanian places are looking - I last saw them a decade and a half ago, and I'm sure a lot has changed in the intervening years!