Join our zoo community

Zoo History Books

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by snowleopard, 24 May 2008.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm sure that many of you are like me and own a number of terrific zoo books from around the world, but for those who enjoy beautiful zoo history photos then these set of books are for you! I own two of this series: "New York City Zoos and Aquarium" by Joan Scheier (which is the only one that I couldn't find on Amazon), and "The Central Park Zoo" by the same author. They are 128 pages in length, and cost me $14.45 Canadian when I ordered them last year. I just found out that Amazon has in stock another 3 books in the series, and I have subsequently ordered those as well.

Each book features nothing but black-and-white photos (no colour whatsoever) but each photo comes with a paragraph write-up beside it. Some of the shots are startling, as there are photos of barren, concrete, barred big cat exhibits that are smaller than anyone could imagine. Gorillas are behind iron bars, sitting on concrete, in the tiniest little cages. It's pleasing that the zoos of the world have come such a long way from the many cramped cages that used to make up the bulk of all zoos. The shots of the Bronx Zoo are almost embarrassing nowadays, with many animals living boring lives in mindless environments.

Anyone intrigued by zoo history should order at least one of these books.

The Central Park Zoo:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Central-Park-Zoo-Joan-Scheier/dp/0738511005/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211602210&sr=1-15]Amazon.ca: Central Park Zoo: Joan Scheier: Books[/ame]

The Knoxville Zoo:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Knoxville-Zoo-Jack-Hanna/dp/0738544051/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211602264&sr=1-3]Amazon.ca: Knoxville Zoo: Jack Hanna, Sonya A. Haskins: Books[/ame]

Oak Park and the Montgomery Zoo:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Oak-Park-Montgomery-Heather-Trevino/dp/0738553115/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211602264&sr=1-4]Amazon.ca: Oak Park and the Montgomery Zoo: Heather S. Trevino, Linda E. Pastorello: Books[/ame]

Oklahoma City Zoo (1902-1959):

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Oklahoma-City-Zoo-Amy-Stephens/dp/0738540498/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211602264&sr=1-5]Amazon.ca: Oklahoma City Zoo:: 1902-1959: Amy Dee Stephens: Books[/ame]

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The following US zoos/aquariums have published a history book in recent years:

Parrot Jungle
    Disney's Animal Kingdom (the making of)
    Georgia Aquarium (making of???)
    Zoo Atlanta
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Pittsburgh Zoo
    Bronx Zoo
    Staten Island Zoo
    Beardsley Zoo
    Franklin Park Zoo (being written)
    Cincinnati Zoo
    Toledo Zoo
    Akron Zoo
    Detroit Zoo
    Brookfield Zoo
    Lincoln Park Zoo (Chicago, IL)
    Shedd Aquarium
    Saint Louis Zoo
    Denver Zoo
    Steinhart Aquarium
    Marineland of the Pacific

Last edited: 25 May 2008
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@okapikpr: how many of the books that you mentioned do you own? Can you recommend some great ones? I bought the Calgary Zoo's history book from their gift shop in 2006, and it is a large hardcover that is the best zoo book that I own. There are a number of others that I have, but none on your list.

Here are some examples on Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Americas-First-Zoostory-Philadelphia-Stories/dp/1578640695/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211692746&sr=1-9]Amazon.ca: America's First Zoostory and Other Philadelphia Stories: 125 Years at the Philadelphia Zoo: Clark Deleon: Books[/ame]

The Philadelphia Zoo.

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Ark-Park-STORY-LINCOLN-PARK/dp/0252071387/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211692746&sr=1-11]Amazon.ca: The Ark in Park: THE STORY OF LINCOLN PARK ZOO: Mark Rosenthal, Carol Tauber, Edward Uhlir: Books[/ame]

The Lincoln Park Zoo's history book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Denver-Zoo-Centennial-History/dp/1570980403/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211692845&sr=1-17]Amazon.ca: The Denver Zoo: A Centennial History: Carolyn Etter, Don Etter, Denver Zoological Foundation: Books[/ame]

The Denver Zoo.

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Toledo-Zoos-First-100-Years/dp/1578640946/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211692877&sr=1-35]Amazon.ca: The Toledo Zoo's First 100 Years: A Century of Adventure: Ted Ligibel: Books[/ame]

The Toledo Zoo.

4. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

I like history books very much. But I'm only collecting of Dutch zoos. Incidentially I have some foreign books.

Besides books about the history I also have books which are history itselfs. Old books published by the zoos. Mainly of Amsterdam because the Royal Zoological Society published many books about zoology, biology, etc. I try to collect them all altough some of them are very rare and thus very expensive. My oldest zoo book is dated 1842. And the latest book I bought today. About the history of Amersfoort Zoo.

5. okapikpr

@snowleopard: I own all the ones that both of us listed except Montgomery, Akron, Beardsley, Georgia Aquarium, Steinhart Aquarium, Detroit (I have an older one though), Franklin Park, and St Louis. I also have several general zoo books that contain a lot of overall zoo history including Vernon Kisling's book.

6. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In a more general vein, my favorite book on zoo history is Vernon Kisling's "Zoo and Aquarium History, Ancient Animal Collections to Zoological Gardens"

(Well, besides my 1851 copy of "Le Jardin des Plantes" and the 1899 "Wild Animals in Captivity" by A. D. Bartlett!)

And it's worth reminding folks of the Bartlett Society (see http://www.zoobeat.com/32/bartlett-society-8298/)

Last edited: 30 May 2008
  8. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

For those who can read Dutch:

A splendid book which takes you on a tour through Amsterdam Zoo "Artis" in 1888

(the white on this scan is actual gold leaf. A beautiful binding)
    [​IMG]

Today I bought the very rare Dutch edition of "Le Jardin des Plantes": "De Diergaarde te Parijs" (Amsterdam, 1845). With many beautiful handcolored prints.

(This is a bad photo, no scan to avoid damaging of the book. The colors of the original are much better)
    [​IMG]

9. okapikpr

10. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

I've always loved old fashioned illustrations, especially of animals :) I'll have to look and see if the antique bookshop I go to has any on zoos.

11. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

12. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no ones mentioned "A World of Animals" about the San Diego Zoo/WAP. I found this and the SDZ guide book in a local used book store. Both great books. "A World of Animals" for those who don't know it, discusses history, animals, exhibits, research, vet care, etc. I saw this book briefly in a library when I was a kid and had been looking for it ever since.

In Dallas we have a booklet that discusses the history of our zoo. Its not published, just available to employees and probably volunteers. Fascinating for zoo fanatics but not something for the general public. Actually can be quite depressing at times.

13. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

What about new history Books of Brookfield ( 75 years anniversary ) and Philadelphia ( 150 years anniversary )?

The Steinhardt Aquarium book is still available at the California Acedemy of Science online store, does anybody can tell me if that book is good, so with maps and historical pictures ?

14. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

We had some anniversaries last years in The Netherlands with of course some books:

Apen en beren op de Drentse hei, by Bauke Boersma & Auke Zeldenrust. 70 years Emmen Zoo (1935 - 2005).

Alles draait om dieren, by Ouwehands' Dierenpark. 75 years Ouwehands' Zoo (1932 - 2007)

Iets grootsch & buitengewoons, by Koninklijke Rotterdamse Diergaarde Blijdorp. 150 years Rotterdam Zoo (1857 - 2007)

A special edition of Maki!, the magazine of Amersfoort Zoo, called "Zestig jaar Dierenpark Amersfoort", 60 years Amersfoort Zoo (1948 - 2008)

Burgers' Zoo, by Burgers' Zoo. 85 years Burgers' Zoo (1913 - 1998)

And also:

Tilburgs Dierenpark, by Nicole van Dijk. The history of the former zoo of the city of Tilburg (1932 - 1973)

All books only in Dutch I'm afraid but I will mention it here because they are all beautiful books full of the history of some Dutch zoos.

Another very good book is in Danish: Zoo - en historie om dyr og mennesker gennem 125 ar, by Bent Jorgensen. 125 years Copenhagen Zoo (1859 - 1984)

15. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Copenhagen celebrates its 150 years anniversary this year, but the history book will be pulished next year.

16. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member Premium Member

It was mentioned on another thread.

Adealide zoo first 100 years. I purchased a copy. It is a amazing read. Thourghly recomend it.

17. okapikpr

A Brookfield Zoo history book is due for publishing this summer.

San Francisco Zoo will also publish a history book this year as well.

18. fanaloka

fanaloka Well-Known Member

There are dozens of zoo-history books, written in other languages then English and German (and Dutch) as well. But before I will write you about these I have on my bookshelves I want to tell you about not so widely known general zoo-history book, which I regarded as the best. Well, for me the best zoo-history book is the book written by dr.Karol Lukaszewicz !!!! I am quite sure that most of you never heard about dr.Karol Lukaszewicz. And what more I am sure that most of you will be surprised to read that Karol Lukaszewicz (born in Cracow/Poland 1901 – died in Wroclaw/Poland 1973 ) was educated first of all as actor and humanist. He spoke fluently in 6 languages (English, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) and of course he knew ancient Greek and Latin. But his first love were animals, althought he never got formal zoological education. Yet before the IIWW he helped to organize zoo in Cracow and was its main advisor and concultant. But before that, in late 1920’s he visited all main zoological gardens in Europe. Later in 1948 he was invited to be the first Polish director of former German zoo in Wroclaw (Breslau). He’s got his PhD very late, in 1960’s, after presenting the thesis about the aurochs (Bos primigenius) [BTW – it is well documented that the last true auroch – female – died in Poland in 1627 !!]. He remainded director of Wroclaw Zoo until his retirement in 1967. In the meatime he wrote many articles and one book about extinct animals. Very often articles were illustrated with his own drawings. After retirement, almost immediately, he started to write a book on general zoo history. Unfortunately he died suddenly becasue of massive heart stroke in July 1973. But fortunately by then the book was ready and it was published in 1975. The book has a Polish title “Ogrody Zoologiczne: wczoraj – dzis - jutro” what literally should be translated into English as “Zoological Gardens: yesterday – today – tomorrow” or into German as “Zoologische Gärten: gestern – heute – morgen”. The book has 436 pages, many plates with b/w photos and many line drawings of animals in the text by dr.Lukaszewicz himslef. All in all there are 17 chapters. Some chapters’ titles are as folows: Myths and reality, From the forest to Versailles, The epoch of natural history, The zoo is born, Social role of the zoo, The last chance, Look into the future, Zoos around the world, Zoos in Poland. Through the book the author very often use a word “vivariology” – and he was convinced that it is very good word , the right word to name all the science related to zoological gardens. Unfortunately the book was written and printed exclusively in Polish. I do not know if the succesor of dr.Lukaszewicz on the position of Wroclaw Zoo director – dr.A.Gucwinski – have ever made any effort to promote this book abroad, or to try to have it translated into German or English. But I’m afraid not – and that’s great pity. I do not want to be missunderstood, but I want to pay your attention that the famous and well known zoo-history book by Heini Hediger under the German title “Zoologische Gärten: gestern – heute – morgen” was edited only in 1977 !!!!

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  19. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

20. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member