Join our zoo community

Zoo København zoo history

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by markun, 15 Jun 2009.

1. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Does anyone have information about what the area with the African Savannah was like before this development? I would also love to know what the okapis past accommodation has been like.

Thanks!

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Of course I can :)

The southern part of the Zoo that is situated by the public garden of Søndermarken has for many years now been divided into three themes. The African theme is the biggest with also the Isolated Islands theme and the Childrens' Zoo there.

I have attached two maps, one showing this part of the zoo in 2006 before the redevelopements and one showing how it looks in 2009. The one from 2006 is, unfortunately, only in Danish.

In 2006 the African area was divided into three savannahs: One for white rhinoes and blue wildebeest, one for giraffes and impalas and finally one for zebras, eland antelopes, defassa waterbucks and ostriches. The sable antelopes had a private enclosure.

In 2007 the three savannahs were combined into one, removing waterbucks and elands from the enclosure and adding blesboks. A tropical house with common hippopotamus and African birds was added adjacent to the savannah. The movement ofthe rhinoes, giraffes and hippoes are restricted to their own parts of the savannah.

Important new exhibits in the African part of Copenhagen Zoo are:
    2001 - Giraffe house
    2004 - Sable antelope enclosure
    2004 - African Aviaries
    2006 - White rhinoceros (exhibit renovated and doubled in size)
    2007 - Savannah
    2007 - Hippo house

The okapi enclosure and stalls opened in 1957 and have chanced little since. The stalls are the first in the world to be built especially to accomodate okapis. There has been several breeding before but we have not had a decent breeding male since 1994.

Attached Files:

3. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! I can read Danish (but can't speak it without it coming out as Norwegian) so the map is ok for me at least! So okapis have always been at that site? What about when they very first arrived?

When I went to the zoo recently I thought it was great that they had information boards about how various parts used to look in the past with old maps showing where you are.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The first okapi ever in Copenhagen was a wild caught male named Esayo. He arrived from Congo in 1948 and stayed in one of the old ungulate houses. Esayo was the first ever okapi to fly on an aeroplane. He moved to the new house and enclosure in 1957 and recieved a mate, also from Congo, named Baguya and 1958. The zoo has kept okapis in the current exhibit ever since then.

Yes, those signs are put up as part if the zoos 150th anniversary theme this year :)

5. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Are there any old maps on-line?

6. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I am affraid not. Not any that I know of anyway.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markun
    "When I went to the zoo recently I thought it was great that they had information boards about how various parts used to look in the past with old maps showing where you are."

I studied these old maps with great interest when I visited the zoo some two or three weeks ago and have been meaning to e-mail the zoo asking them to put the maps on-line. I´ll try to remember to do that and if a few more persons do the same then maybe the zoo would do us the favour?

The maps are of the greatest historical interest!

8. markun

markun Well-Known Member

that's a good idea. I thought that the signage and educational material was very good in general

9. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

hello! IM new member here and I can many things about copenhagen zoo I have 20 times in copenhagen zoo from 2003- and next week Im there 2 times so it my 22 visit!
    I have in my fotoalbums at home 202 picture colurpictures not digital! so I can many history about copenhagen zoo about animals before,the area and whwre the old animals there in the old maps?
    so contact me about copenhagen zoo

10. zoo chp89

thats is good I have at home maps from 2003 to 2010 but i can about litle from 1940 centyry and 1990 cetury so maps its good for my OVERDUE

11. zoo chp89

I am very interested in this topic and new artic ring will be nice as well
    flamingo plant ready in June 2011. on frotiden as I graduate on Copenhagen Zoo's history
    has maps from 1894 - 1940 and maps from 2000-2011 if you have questions about this subject so
    we can discuss and I also questions about the years between 1950-2000 on the animal and maps of copenhagen zoo
    thanks my friends

12. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The zoo got a Pair of walruses in Autumn 1983,but they didn't survive for long. But does anybody know, when exactly both animals passed away ? Using the Guidebooks from that time, it happend until 1988. Unfortunately no information about these two animals on Zootierliste.