Join our zoo community

Zoo Krasnojarsk

Discussion in 'Russia' started by vogelcommando, 21 Jun 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The small group of Markhors ( 1 male, one older female and a younger female ) has produced a healty young :).

2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This zoo, also known as 'Roev Ruchei', probably won't be familiar to many zoochatters. It opened in 2000 and is located in Siberia on the slope of a mountain facing the Yenisei River.
    According to ZIMS/ISIS the zoo has a pair of African Palm Civets (Nandinia binotata) - so lovers of small carnivores might like to start planning their trip to Siberia :)
    Has anyone actually visited this collection? It would be interesting to learn more about it.

3. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Male Snow leopard arrived on 5-year loan from Chelyabinsk zoo (born in 2003 at Munich zoo), to form a pair with female (born in 2002 at Perm zoo).

4. Elephas Maximus

A giraffe is born and being hand-reared.

Remember, the ignorant bastards (which are zoo officials and vets) earlier incinerated 3 giraffes that died from non-infectious diseases and were perfectly safe for preparation, as 'having no value'. The giraffes were skinned at first, but ultimately all was destroyed.
    Same would happen with this calf if it dies (VERY likely to die, since no giraffes were hand-reared successfully in Russia yet). As happened with 2 giraffe calves in Kaliningrad zoo (1 stillborn fed to lions, 1 incinerated), and they also dumped an old female last year.
    Russia is terrible country for natural history. All we have are ages-old and moth-ridden museum collections, while the zoos are storages of would-be biohazard waste.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think your opinion is quite clear on this topic, but do you really have to express it every single time!? Also the language you use to indicate your disagreement could be more moderate.

6. Elephas Maximus

Those people don't deserve moderate words... they're vandals (for a zoologist at least, the others just say RIP giraffes and don't care)
    The only dead megafauna specimens in Russia that are NOT waste or food are mammoths & woolly rhinos found in permafrost, which are too valuable and rare to be disposable (unlike elephants and white rhinos)

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But people might be a lot more willing to listen if you do not call them ignorant bastards. Same on Zoochat, if you want people to read what you write I would use moderate language and tone down on the frequency.

8. Elephas Maximus

I believe I was not the only one who protested the destruction of giraffes... but those so-called Homo 'sapiens' who are in charge of the deceased specimens don't listen to anyone if decided to choose incineration (which is a cheapest & quickest method of getting rid of animal body - preservation is expensive and nobody cares about what's left for posterity). Especially the vets - they regard any dead ungulate as 'valuable' as a cow. Be it a giraffe, or a hippo, or a rhino.

Well, let's call those people bUstards, for having bird brains.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  9. Elephas Maximus

The calf is alive, gained 5,5 kilos for 10 days and began to be exhibited since November 1st.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess that is the first giraffe calf born and - potentially - surviving in the last 10 or so years in the Russian Republic, so we must be happy ...

The only EARAZA herd breeding well is in Alma Aty in Kazakhstan.

Any info on the previous 2 calves you can add / or on the herd at large at Roev Ruchei - Krasnojarsk?

11. Elephas Maximus

The 2 mentioned calves were born at Kaliningrad zoo, I think I written it clearly enough :p

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Okay, I re-read and see the remark in part pertained to Kaliningrad Zoo.

So, effectively this makes the first successful calf at Krasnoyarsk - Roev Ruchei?!!

Any further info on the the giraffe herd here?

13. Elephas Maximus

There are currently 1.2.1 giraffes.

14. Megakillerwhale

Megakillerwhale Well-Known Member

Why was the baby hand fed? Did the mom reject the calf?

15. Elephas Maximus

Think twice...:cool:
    Btw it's a female.

16. Megakillerwhale

Megakillerwhale Well-Known Member

Thank you :)