Join our zoo community

Zoo Leipzig Zoo Leipzig news 2016

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 15 Jan 2016.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One wonders whether it is a true mixed-exhibit, or whether the cheetah are kept apart from the other animals through carefully-positioned haha ditches.

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, it was designed as a mixed species exhibit. The cheetahs have definitely been introduced to the rhinos (and got rather closer than I would have), but I'm not sure about the monkey situation.

3. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Black rhino bull NDUGU and the two Southern Cheetah females NANDI and TARIRO are living together without any problems.

The Patas monkeys live in a separate enclosure, detached from the large enclosure. The zoo will make another try to socialize the three species in the future.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1 lion was killed when the anaesthetics did not work, the other is back "home".

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. lintworm

Next year Greater bilby will arrive in Gondwanaland. The bat-eared foxes will leave and will be replaced by crowned lemur. In December 2016 a second pair of pangolins will arrive and hopefully breeding will finally start...

The owl-faced monkeys finally have a young again.

9. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All very exciting!! I'm happy about the potential pangolin breeding :)

It should be mentioned that the bilbies will be the only bilbies in Europe.

10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The start of a hopfully succesful breeding of Bilbys outside of australia makes sense, the import of another pangolin pair doesn't.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2016
  11. lintworm

They should be part of a larger import (Wilhelma Stuttgart is among the rumoured receivers), but whether all zoos will receive them at the same time or not has not been confirmed yet.

12. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will these be breeding?

13. Bib Fortuna

Always in motion the future is...;) So nobody knows what the animals will do...but it seems , bilbies are not very difficult to breed.

14. TeaLovingDave

Other than the fact that pangolins are in such a sharp decline that captive breeding might well be their only hope, you mean :p

But then, your views on the import of anything unusual into European collections - or collections maintaining such species once present - are well-established by now ;)

15. Bib Fortuna

How succesful is the captive breeding of pangolins ? How many more have to imported from the wild to build a captive population ? But maybe be the Zoo people should take an example from Yoda""Do-or do it not. There is no try".;) Pangolins never did well in"Captivity"-but most zoos know that fact in the meantimenot all-but some of them, so Leipzig, still belives in wonders. Hey, even the more in the pangolin welfare experienced Taipei zoo failed in breeding pangolins. Try,Try,Try again-as long as pangolins are still available, why not ?:) So many other species t believd never not be breed in"Captivity" breed now regualry, so why this shouldn't happen with pangolins also ? Yeah, hundreds of apes lost their lives until the first of them were born in Zoos, so the best option to breed pangolins is, to import more of them-a perfect way to save them from the cooking pot and show them to the visitors. Zoos are for people, not for animals. To think in the opposite is defenitely wrong.;)

No-the only chance to protect pangolins is defenitely in-situ. But instead of giving money to save the natural habitats of them and other species, Leipizg spend 70 Million euro ! for"Gondwanaland- Practical conservation per excellence, isn't it ? But Leipzig is on a good way-they now have the"Conservation euro" visitors can pay optional with their admission, if they want.....

16. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The numbers of pangolins being taken for captivity is but tiny - an irrelevance - in comparison to the numbers being hunted, illegally (as superbly demonstrated in this extraordinary picture from this year's Wildlfie Photographer of the Year competition: The pangolin pit). The benefits of there being a healthy captive population are inestimable. I think the gamble is one that is most certainly worth taking, and I am delighted that Leipzig are doing so.

17. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed. From what I hear there may be other (yet to be confirmed) places that will also soon be receiving pangolins, and I think the sooner the better.

18. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To be fair to Bib, I don't think his concern was the conservation impact of removing pangolins from the wild. His post semi-coherently makes three valid points:

1) Are the animal welfare implications worth the limited chance of success?

2) Why do some zoos cling to the ex situ pipedream when they should focus on in situ work?

3) How can a zoo justify itself on conservation grounds when so little of its expenditure is used for conservation purposes?

I would add that I don't think anyone who understands conservation science and the scale of the present environmental crisis could argue this is a logically tenable use of resources.

19. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Unless I missed something, only outside Australia (together with other possible European receivers, e.g., Wilhelma)! As far as I know, there are none in America or Asia.

Of all the native Australian mammals only kept locally, this was the single I had considered most logical for transfer to oversea zoos because of its distinctive appearance, rarity in the wild, and healthy and regularly breeding captive population. Excellent news that it is happening! Now only one remains that I, for essentially the same reason, had considered a logical contender for future transfer overseas: Quokka.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2016
  20. TeaLovingDave

Elephants never did well in captivity......
    Gorillas never did well in captivity.....
    Orangutans never did well in captivity......

Would you argue that the losses early on - which *were* heavy - were not worth the fact we now do have self-sustaining populations of species such as these?

Given that F3 individuals are now being born at Taipei, I would hardly say they "failed in breeding pangolins" :p

I would argue that they *are* now worth it, considering the fact that in-situ work - which has been taking place for several years now - has done nothing to curb the increasing tide of deaths within all eight pangolin species due to poaching; as has been discussed elsewhere on Zoochat we are talking about figures along the lines of 22,000 Sunda Pangolin taken by a single smuggling ring in only 21 months, and the remains of thousands - possibly tens of thousands - of African pangolins taken in a single seizure. As it is highly unlikely that the authorities and in-situ organisations learn of every occasion quantities of this level are smuggled, we are talking about a rate of loss which means *any* prospect of successfully establishing an in-situ population is very much worthwhile in my opinion.