Join our zoo community

Zoo Losses of Tragic Proportion

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by AmbikaFan, 1 Sep 2019.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Sumatran rhinos that all died in USA zoos because their biology and feeding habits were largely not understood...then finally the deaths of remaining females Emi and Suci at Cincinnati that put paid to any further hope of establishing a captive population in the states.

Every ape that has died by drowning in water-moated enclosures.From Makoko the gorilla at the Bronx Zoo onwards. Apart from the tragedy of loss it has often involved an individual e.g. a breeding silverback that is extremely hard to replace.

2. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

The Chester Zoo lost 20+ penguins, half the clock, due to an avian malaria outbreak a few years ago. I could have added that when I started the post, but it seemed that they had experienced quite enough without mentioning it. I'm saddened to see all the additional misfortune they have experienced.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

entire colonies, maybe Whipsnade as well.sure that both Marwell and Exmoor have lost

UK zoos do tend to have the occasional bad run with penguins. In recent memory I'm pretty sure that both Marwell and Exmoor have lost entire colonies. And maybe Whipsnade as well?

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course, Longleat lost almost their entire colony to avian malaria not that long ago and ended up replacing them with giant otters and crocodiles instead.

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course, I knew there was a recent one I'd forgot.

6. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

IMO, Toronto Zoo's African Bush Elephants. Should never have gone to that scamtuary.

7. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Zoo Knoxville yet. They lost nearly their entire reptile house in one night due to a still unknown toxin.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  8. AmbikaFan

OMG That's alarming. I'm still disconcerted by the previous report of anthrax deaths. Things like anthrax aren't really ubiquitous and found in the air we breathe. Some toxins just don't occur naturally. Some of these stories sound like premeditated crimes, like the one in Syracuse that started my thinking on the thread in the first place. What were the circumstances in Knoxville?

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hurricane Maria devastating the zoo in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, leaving the animals and staff with no food, water, or electricity. Most animals who survived the storm have since died of starvation, dehydration, or illness. When word of this reached the States, the media was quick to label the zoo and all who work there as murderers and animal abusers, and petitions sweeped the internet demanding that the zoo be shut down for good and all the remaining animals be sent to one of PR's many luxurious animal sanctuaries at the full expense of the zoo. The zoo has never received any assistance or support from the media or AZA (who worked with the zoo to some capacity) afaik and it's likely they will never reopen. I'm not even sure if they have any surviving animals left to be honest. The zoo was home to various endangered species such as rhinos, hippos, giraffes, chimps, tigers, and native fauna including what was probably the only captive population for the threatened Puerto Rican Plains Pigeon.

~Thylo

10. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here’s an article about it.

Unknown toxin killed 34 Zoo Knoxville reptiles

AmbikaFan likes this.
  11. Gavinj90

Gavinj90 Well-Known Member

Chester, too, but they don't display them. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember back in the '90s that they were the first/only zoo to be breeding them.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Apologies for being pedantic but it was early 20th century not 19th century; to be precise, the elephant was stillborn 31st August 1902.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whoops, my bad, I should have checked that :)

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What happened at my local zoo, Zoo Planckendael, last year would count as pretty tragic I would say.

On May 28th 2018 juvenile Asian elephant Qiyo, just a few weeks shy of three years old, suddenly died due to EEHV.

On June 4th Asian elephant female Khaing Phyo Phyo had to be euthanized to a sudden great decline in health as a result of kidney failure, the sad end of ongoing health issues. The autopsy later revealed she also had tumors in her lungs and uterus. Phyo Phyo had a calf born on April 11th, 2018, Tarzen, and he was hand-fed by the keepers after her death but didn't make it.

On June 21st Asiatic lioness Rani escaped from the lion exhibit due to human error by one of the keepers who left open a set of doors. Attempts were made to sedate her by the veterinarian but those failed and the police intervention squad that came on site decided the animal had to be shot and killed. After this event animal rights activists held protests against Planckendael.

On June 26th baby elephant Tarzen, born April 11th, suddenly collapsed and died in his sleep in the elephant house. Despite the best care of the keepers he never did well or gained weight after the death of his mother. It is possible that due to the tumor found in Phyo Phyo on autopsy he functioned as a premature calf, despite being born after a full-term pregnancy.

So yeah, 2018 really wasn't a good year for Planckendael, especially that one month. They also suffered from the heat that summer, but they still had good visitor numbers and the controversy from the events luckily died down fairly quickly.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds like June was not a good month there...but as you say, these things are only controversial for a short period while making the news, and memory is short. Its the same in UK zoos also. Two examples, the badly-managed South Lakes Wild Animal Park, and the recent killing of one tiger by another at London Zoo- these are not newsworthy anymore.

16. AmbikaFan

I'm not sure how I created this thread without mentioning the Oregon Zoo's losses with elephants. Over the last few years, they lost Rama, the famous Packy, bull Tusko, and then calf Lily of EEHV, leaving the herd at half its former size and leaving Oregon Zoo-lovers with very heavy hearts. Just recently, there was some surprise joy for all when rare Bornean elephant Chendra became pregnant. A chance to continue this rare sub-species and have a baby in Portland again! Alas, yesterday it was announced that Chendra had miscarried and would probably never get pregnant again.. For some reason Rose-Tu, their sole prospective mother now, has not had a calf in six years. This is truly loss of tragic proportion, and my heart goes out once again to Bob Lee and everyone at the Oregon Zoo.

JVM and Elephantelephant like this.
  17. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

I think Rose-Tu will get pregnant soon. Its only suitable partner was Tusko. Packy and Rama were related to her. It is possible that recently Tusko was not suitable for breeding. In the autumn of 2018, mating Rose-Tu and Samson were observed. Probably not pregnant, as this would have been reported.

18. AmbikaFan

Unfortunately, Tusko died and has not been around for close to two years now, so there has been no recent activity with Tusko. He did have TB from 2013-2015, but recovered completely and was back with the herd. We're just learning from the article that Shine was TB-free as of 2017, so she clearly had a bout between 2015-2017. Perhaps Rose-Tu has or had TB too, and that accounts for her lack of pregnancy.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  19. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On July 18 2016, a huge rainstorm which causes a pump circuit shortage kills all 18 Cownose Rays and 3 Bamboo Sharks in John Ball Zoo.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  20. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

More colony of stingrays death:

1. Calgary Zoo (May 2008) Cause: One of the four pumps didn't work, causing decrease in oxygen, killing 41 out of 43 Cownose Rays

2. Brookfield Zoo (13 July 2015) Cause: A malfunction causes sudden oxygen drop, killing all 4 Southern Stingrays and 50 Cownose Rays.

Seems stingray pool exhibits are rather risky exhibits.

JVM and AmbikaFan like this.