Join our zoo community

Zoo Losses of Tragic Proportion

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by AmbikaFan, 1 Sep 2019.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The two male Sumatrans were called Bonzo & Adriaan. The two females were Julia and Tineke. They were successful breeders as outlined above and are mentioned in Barbara Harrison's old book on the species-'Orangutan'. Specifically regarding mate preference- one of the males(Adriaan?) would only live with one of the females but the other could be kept with either. I have an old postcard of one of the males but sadly when I first visited Rotterdam this original group had already been virtually wiped out.

JVM likes this.
  2. Nicolaskey

Nicolaskey New Member

Wiped out by what?

3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

All in the thread, above...

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Monkey Pox epidemic which is the subject of the post this refers to.

5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

During World War Two, the japanese military ordered all zoos at the time to shoot down any dangerous animal in case of a bombing. In Ueno, three elephants had to be starved and poisoned to death because bullets won’t work.

Another tragedy I know is how a traveling exhibitor in Japan lost his animals in a fire at the warehouse he kept them in around 2011.

6. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anddd right after that all stingrays in Tampa Zoo died due to supersaturation three months ago. Yikes.

CMP likes this.
  7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The references to Sumatran rhinoceros and Amazon river dolphin are poignant. It's an enormous shame the former captive breeding program failed. It's a subject I'd like to dig into more one day. (Is there a relevant thread?)

In this thread, ZooElephantsMan drove my attention to an article discussing the loss of twenty-five flamingo and a pintail duck to a single wild fox.

The example that stands out to me locally, besides the ray pool at Brookfield, was the abrupt end of Lincoln Park Zoo's elephant program. Peaches, Wankie and Tatima arrived from the San Diego Wild Animal Park in early 2003 for the opening of Regenstein African Journey - and over a year later, Tatima died in October from tuberculosis and Peaches died under less clear circumstances in January. Wankie was to be sent away to the Hogle Zoo and died almost immediately after arriving and there was debate as to why. I was only a child but under the impression all three had succumbed to tuberculosis from sharing the same space but apparently this was never confirmed outright. The resulting criticism of the zoo lead to the elephant program ending.

It's not the same as the fox situation or the awful fire in Philadelphia, and in hindsight elephants' days at this facility were numbered, but losing three animals in a short amount of time and losing a species from a zoo that had only just returned was heartbreaking and no doubt probably for the keepers as much as visitors.

StoppableSan and ZooElephantMan like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Deadly Rubber Balls

Australasia’s Common hippopotamus population was decimated by rubber balls throughout the 20th Century.

At least nine hippopotami died after having tennis balls/rubber balls thrown to them by members of the public in a deliberate attempt to kill them. The hippos would swallow the ball and then die in agony as it blocked their digestive tract.

Reading through newspaper archives, there were countless near misses, where keepers managed to catch members of the public about to throw a ball into their mouths. Taronga Zoo installed netting to prevent such incidents, which appears to have been successful.

The deaths include:

1.0 Edward (Adelaide Zoo) Died 1928
    1.0 Bill (Perth Zoo) Died 1930
    1.0 William (Melbourne Zoo) Died 1933
    1.0 Chaka (Auckland Zoo) Died 1937
    0.1 Rosamund (Melbourne Zoo) Died 1945
    1.0 Dimazulu (Auckland Zoo) Died 1946
    0.1 Esmeralda (Melbourne Zoo) Died 1961
    1.0 Rangi (Melbourne Zoo) Died 1968
    0.1 Kiboko (Auckland Zoo) Died 1970

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why were people trying to kill them with balls?

ZooElephantMan and IndianRhino like this.
  10. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Something about that huge, gaping mouth just begs people to throw something in it, like shooting hoops at basketball

11. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

If you want to throw a ball into a gaping mouth, play a carnival game.
    And it's not just an Australasian phenomenon, either. Here's some more hippos that have succumbed to this frankly embarrassing fate:
    1.0 Maikel (Frankfurt Zoo), Died 2014
    0.1 Linda (Dublin Zoo), Died 2002
    0.1 Nyla (Virginia Zoo), Died 1996
    1.0 Raju (Patna Zoo), Died 2001
    1.0 ??? (Detroit Zoo), Died sometime in the 1970's
    Let's hope Maikel is the last hippo who ever dies this way.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  12. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Coins are another major killer when tossed into exhibits. One suggestion that I’ve liked is for zoos to install wishing wells or fountains next to exhibits with open top pools to redirect the impulse that visitors have for throwing coins on water away from the animals and towards someplace less harmful.

13. Zoofan15

It became a trend for teenage boys, who thought it’d be amusing to kill them via rubber balls. Their wide open mouths tempted them to throw something in. Unfortunately the newspapers sensationalised the incidents, so the trend developed. There were many other near misses in addition to the fatalities I listed. These days we have more harmless trends like #Gentleminions :p

Mickey and Corangurilla like this.
  14. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

That’s utterly bizarre. I’d have said that was made up if I’d randomly come across it if you know what I mean! People can be crazy.

15. Zoofan15

Sadly the newspaper coverage only served to sensationalise the event and give others the idea to do it. Aside from the hippopotami dying a painful death, zoos were losing valuable assets bought and exchanged for hundreds of dollars, that weren't bred in the region in sustainable numbers until the 1950's to 1960's.

Lafone likes this.
  16. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, they were incredibly expensive, and reading articles from the time, most zoos struggled to find replacements and would go years without a hippo.

It would be interesting to find out if they ever caught those that killed those hippos, and what would've happened to them.

17. Zoofan15

Especially in the early 20th Century, most zoos typically held either a pair or a single hippopotamus, so the death of a hippopotamus either left the zoo without a breeding pair or no hippos at all.

To my knowledge, nobody was ever held accountable for the deaths. In some cases, the hippo died days later and the cause was only identified in the post mortem. Various accounts detail people being caught attempting to throw a ball in and being removed from the zoo.

18. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okinawa Aquarium recently lost their female whale shark to a chronic injury she had before entering the aquarium. It was a terrible loss indeed.

19. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this where the board game "Hungry, Hungry Hippos" got its inspiration from? If it is, I sure will have to look at that game differently now!

Birdsage, JVM and ZooElephantMan like this.
  20. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone here commenting about Goiânia. I believe it is the worst tragedy to have happened at a South American zoo in the 21st century.

Mortes de 81 animais no zoológico de Goiânia tiveram causas distintas, conclui polícia
    148 deaths in 2009 and 2010 alone. The zoo lost quite a lot of its collection, especially of large beasts.

São Paulo also did face a huge tragedy in the early-to-mid 2000s.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqkpuC7cj9AhUwppUCHevAAo0QFnoECAwQAQ&url=https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/fsp/cotidian/ff1307201118.htm&usg=AOvVaw3fQnmBT7Uk-DsVQhxSkbOu
    Folha de S.Paulo - São Paulo: Zôo confirma envenenamento de 56 animais - 27/02/2004

Belo Horizonte had problems breeding its African elephants. A female brought from Namibia and her calf died during its birth.