Join our zoo community

Zoo Miami Zoo Miami 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chimpangeek, 13 Jan 2018.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Surely Bronx will have kept more throughout its history? They currently keep 8 of those species, no doubt have kept most if not all of them at some point (they kept Indian Pangolin at one point too), and currently keep other species like Blackbuck, various other Indian deer, peafowl, Indian Gharial, flying fox, Leopard (kept Indian at one point iirc).

~Thylo

StoppableSan and Sarus Crane like this.
  2. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm excluding Bronx Zoo cuz its is nice, but all the cool species are from a moving monorail and you can barely get any decent video. I'm sure they have had lots over the years though. I wish they had an online photo archive you could browse like how AMNH has for their digital special collections. They do have Hornaday's scrapbooks digitized though and there are a few films from British Pathe's YouTube channel that has some clips of the zoo from the 20's and beyond. I really wish their was a walking path that went around Wild Asia. I'd totally go visit in a heartbeat if they did.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

I've never struggled much to get decent photographed from the monorail, and they really don't move all that fast past most of the animals. But regardless I feel as though just because the animals are now on a monorail (they weren't in the past), that doesn't mean they shouldn't count :p

~Thylo

4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't believe they have Nilgai or Sun Bears any longer. Unless that has changed in the last couple years.

5. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A reply made by the zoo to a post on Facebook regarding the arrival of the dholes says that the sloth bears will be remaining in the zoo and simply moving to another paddock.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but apparently the Zoo is getting wombats. It could be seen in their Instagram story that a new enclosure is in the finishing touches. However they don't mention what subspecies they will have.

7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This seems like a good time to ask, has the renovated Australian area opened yet?

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Swedish Zoo Fan: Before talking about SUBspecies, I guess many would be interested what kind of SPECIES you are refering to. My assumption is Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus)?

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats are more common in North American zoos than Common Wombats?

10. ThylacineAlive

I can only think of two holders for each. I'm sure there's more than that for both, but I don't think either are common.

@zoomaniac I would think Common if we're talking about subspecies considering Southern is monotypic.

~Thylo