Join our zoo community

Zoo Miami Zoo Miami News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by Sarus Crane, 4 Jan 2022.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Summer Tanager, Zorro and TinoPup like this.
  2. Sarus Crane

3. Sarus Crane

Does the zoo still have the Black-Necked Storks? I heard that Lowland Anoas moved into that exhibit so I don't know they now share the exhibit with them? The last reference I could find that they were still there was from a YouTube video from February of last year. Also, I don't think they have the bull Sable anymore?

Last edited: 5 Jan 2022
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Sarus Crane

5. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

Popped in this afternoon to check on the Harpy Eagle chick. Much larger and now fully feathered compared to my first report of its birth but still only visible via the on-site webcam. They fledge around 4-5 months so I'm hoping to catch a glimpse in March or April. Still surprised that the zoo hasn't shared anything about this, but I have to wonder if it will not be sticking around long after it fledges.

Also wanted to see if anyone knows what's going on over at the Asian River Life exhibits (clouded leopards and Asian small-clawed otters)? The area has been closed for maintenance for almost a year now, but I haven't seen any word specifically being done to the area, at least from public view. The only thing I can think of this area's proximity to the construction of the greater one-horned rhino barn. Any other info?

6. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A male Arabian oryx calf was born January 25th.

Haliaeetus, Kifaru Bwana and TinoPup like this.
  7. Sarus Crane

A Saddle Billed Stork chick has just hatched at the zoo, the first one to be hatched in the zoo's history!!! :D Currently, the storks' habitat has been modified to prevent disturbance, but hopefully, within a month or so the entire family will be on view for all to enjoy.

Zoo Miami Welcomes Saddlebill Stork

Last edited: 4 Feb 2022
  8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Excellent news! Even this chick is being parent-reared. Well done.

Summer Tanager and Sarus Crane like this.
  9. Sarus Crane

Update on the Indian Rhino exhibit renovations:
    As of February 5th, shifting gates are being put in and the barriers are nearing completion. Additionally, there are updates being made to the area where guests feed the rhinos.

[​IMG]
    Snacks and Updates

My guess is I think that this will be finished and Akuti & Sarita will be back on view by spring break in March.

10. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Is the Asian Riverlife exhibit housing the Clouded Leopard and otters re-opened yet?

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It still has not.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Sarus Crane

Zoo Miami wants to help in repopulating Florida's American Flamingos:

13. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

Some updates from today:
    • The Harpy eagle chick has left the nest! Still wouldn't consider it an official fledge as we didn't see it leave the nesting area, but it was up and moving around, asking mom for food. It is huge.
    • Asian River Life exhibits are still closed.
    • About 75% of the reptiles/amphibians in the Clouded Forest building are off exhibit.
    • Saddlebill storks are still off exhibit.
    • Greater One-Horned Rhino exhibit is still closed as their holding/barn is still a very active construction site.
    • Despite the closures at several other Florida zoos, all bird exhibits and feedings remain open.

14. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for the updates at one of my favorite zoos! That chick is intense!

Joseph G likes this.
  15. Sarus Crane

Was at the zoo both yesterday and St. Paddy's Day. Indian Rhino exhibit is still under construction. Further construction was going on in the rear African Elephant exhibit. The sole female Gaur was off-exhibit due to a recent hoof trim. The female Black-Necked Stork is still in her exhibit at the zoo between Asian Elephants & Indian Rhinos. The path that goes past the Great Indian Hornbill exhibit inside Wings of Asia is closed off. It's nesting season for them so I think that may be the reason. The lookout area, though is open. The Harpy Eagle chick in Amazon & Beyond is huge. Had a great 2-day visit and got loads of 4K footage, except for Australia and Florida: Mission Everglades. Lastly, I discovered that the zoo is doing a great job at assisting the zoos in Ukraine!

Zoo Miami Donating $10,000 To Help Ukrainian Zoos
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article259545534.html

A huge review will be coming in the future when I have more time to write.

StoppableSan and TinoPup like this.
  16. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Sounds like you enjoyed your visit! Sad to hear that the zoo is down to a single female gaur, I’d assume they will be phased out upon her passing leaving just Gladys Porter and Bronx as US holders. Are the giant eland girls still there or have they been shipped off already?

Looking forward to reading your review!

17. Sarus Crane

Yes, I forgot to mention they are all still there! Go visit them while you still can. It was great to capture them in 4K as well! I was able to capture the bull on my 2016 visit. I also saw Common Eland at Wild Florida (south of Orlando) this morning as well! I will try and find out if the zoo plans on keeping Gaur in their master plans or phasing them out entirely. They are probably the best suited in terms of climate and space in the country to have a successful breeding program.

StoppableSan and IndianRhino like this.
  18. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

There are definitely more holders than just those three.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about SDZSP, but they are down to a single elderly female so it's unlikely they'll be on that list for long. SDZSP, Miami, Gladys Porter, and Bronx should be the only holders of gaur in the US at the moment, at least in AZA-accredited zoos. Although Omaha may still have some as well at their safari park, I've heard conflicting reports whether they're still there or not so I'm not 100% sure. Gaur are being phased out of the AZA so it's unlikely that any new holders will pop up. Are there any non-AZA zoos that hold the species?

Sarus Crane and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari (Omaha’s Safari Park) still had a herd of Gaur back in October. Bayou Wildlife Park & Living Treasures Moraine are the only possible holders I know of in the private sector ATM, although there may be a few more.