Join our zoo community

Zoo Near Town or Less Visited Zoo in a Remote place?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 28 Oct 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I have many questions in my mind, what would be better ultimately:

-To establish a (small, about 3,000 m2) zoo (with about 10 species of animals) near smaller town (with about 100,000 citizens), in wich zoo the town can be seen in the surroundings, and with less chances of further spacious development of the zoo, or,

-To establish a (small, about 6,000 m2) zoo (with about 10 species of animals) in a remote place (like in a village with 100 inhabitants) at 40 km from a town (with about 100,000 citizens), conected with blind-end road passing trough real wilderness behind small mountain (often little scary), and with more chances for further spacious development. I can be almost sure that zoo animals will feel better in a remote place (eg. noices from traffic are absent). The facts that must be taken in the judgement is the price of land. The price of land near the town is 10-15 times higher than that in the remote place, in the small village. Time needed to reach this zoo from the nearest town is 50 minutes by vehicle.

And second very important question, how can we predict how many visitors would have the zoo in both cases in the first year of establishing, if we consider that the zoo (in both cases - near a town and in a remote place) is located in a statistical region with 200,000 inhabitants, and the biggest zoo in the country, located in a city with 550,000 citizens, have 300,000 visitors annually?

Many thanks,

Last edited: 29 Oct 2016
  2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

These questions are of course impossible to answer. There are too many factors unknown. How much media attention would the zoo 40 km from the town get? Are there good public transport, or are most people car owners? Try to look at other establishments which are reliant on visitors. Does it look like people are willing to travel a distance for an experience?

3. Nikola Chavkosk

I have already give up from that remote place, Nicholas. I visited it and it was unhappy place - remote and even with less inhabitants :) . I've decided to go for place near the town (at 1 to 15 km), with better accessable infrastructure, more expensive, but close to town with aproximately 70,000 citizens (Prilep).

Last edited: 20 Nov 2016
  4. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I know that you are a big advocate for small zoos, and a 3000m2 zoo is definitely attainable, but 10 species, total? That is way to small to have any true profit for a zoo. If you were a petting farm, maybe. If you are going to have that few species, you might as well just have a private collection.

5. DragonDust101

the lowest number of species I would use would probably be about 27-30, like in your 9,9,9 thread.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  6. Nikola Chavkosk

I taught a lot, and now I would start with mammals, among other animals, like: Cheetah (eg. one female, wich is normaly solitary when it is without cubs and not mating), serval(s), mantled guerezas, ring-tailed and/or white-fronted lemurs, brown capuchins monkeys, fallow deers (by the way, seems that it is most numerous zoo animal in Europe with more than 600 holders!), Grant's zebras, red kangaroos/red necked wallabies, brown bear, golden jackal, spotted gennet, etc. No very dangerous carnivores like leopards, tigers or jaguars. However I have not yet give up from venomous snakes, at least few native from here. :)

Last edited: 20 Nov 2016
  7. DragonDust101

I understand none of what you just said, no offense

8. DragonDust101

As in that would be the speceis you would use?

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Those are the species of mammals that I would begin with, if I got opportunity. The zoo area would be aproximately 3,000 m2. Am I clearer now? :)

10. Nikola Chavkosk

It depends on number of visitors and the price of ticket. If let say that zoo will have 30,000 visitors annually, and with price of the ticket of 4.0 USD, then the gross income from ticket sales would be around 120,000 USD/per year, money that are quite enough to operate such kind of small zoo, if we consider, among other things, that annual net salary for a zookeeper, here, would be around 3,600.0 USD!

11. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

$3,600 annually for a job is criminal is most (all?) of the developed world. That's essentially $10 a day.

12. Nikola Chavkosk

But that's close to average annual wage (4,890.0 USD) in least developed countries in Europe, like R. Macedonia if it can be considered as developing country... The minimum earning per hour is set at 1.0 euro/hour (1.1 USD/hour). :confused:
    The food prices as like those in developed world, but transport, rent of apartments, are much cheaper, and the salary is from 2 to 9 times or more, lower than that in high-income economies; yet we are in difficult situaton.

13. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Honnestly catchment area matters but 10 species is too small.

Say 5 acres is plenty for a small zoo: and a small zoo can use less (see Shaldon). Needs something like big cats as an attraction, to fund the aviaries, reptiles, small mammals etc.