Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Zoo needs massive overhaul!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Quartz92, 1 Dec 2008.

1. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

All I have to say is that in the thread "Snowleopard's Epic Road Trip" I gave a long and less than flattering review of the Toronto Zoo, calling it outdated and full of huge pavilions that were not top-notch exhibits. Many Torontonians complained that I had been too harsh on their beloved zoo, but the fact is that the place is a mess and there have been more than 50 newspaper articles this year commenting on all of the problems that have been going on with both the infrastructure and the zoo board. There badly needs to be that $250 million cash infusion to keep the 5,000 animals alive and well, and several of the animal habitats desperately need to be overhauled or demolished.

3. Colin

Colin Active Member

I love the Toronto zoo and go quite often but I do agree with Snowleopard that a overhaul is in order. I see the bad press necessary for things to get better, as obviously there are some things that need to be changed. As for the fare increase It really isn't that much and if it is going to help get the revamp done then I don't mind. I think the media is overplaying some of the issues, but I think more good will come of the situation in the future.

4. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

My opinion? Hire me :D

There was a piece about how the zoo has fewer animals now than it did 20 years ago. I do remember the zoo having more animals, even when I was a child (I'm 25 now). I can see why some species could be phased out due to Ungulate's explanations; difficulties in exhibiting them (Musk Ox), weather conditions (in the case of the Scimtar Horned Oryx, which I've been told the cold weather isn't good for their hooves and horns) etc (such as the case is with the Musk Ox), hard to obtain, etc, and why they have fewer animals of a certain species (12 or so reindeer instead of 30 of them). With money and good planning, I would like to see the collection (wisely) built up again. Maybe have the more weather-delicate species (such the Oryx) replaced with more weather-hardy species.

While I love the zoo and go there almost every month, I definately agree that an overhaul is needed. Maybe have less money being spent on advertisements, for example, that could be put towards the Indonesian section. The tapir exhibit makes me a little sad :( I'm on the fenceline about the cost increase; this is a reason I've heard people stay away from the zoo.

5. Leptonyx

Leptonyx Well-Known Member

At least in my view, I find people complaining about the $1 hike a bit annoying. Compared to the $50 people spend to get into Canada's Wonderland and Marineland, and the $30 you spend at Wild Water Kingdom, I always thought the $20 admission was a bargain! If you can blow $20 to see a movie in theatres, whats an extra dollar to see some of the most beautiful animals in the world?

I agree with what's been said about the exhibits...but then again it's not as if there hasn't been progress :) I was sooo incredibly happy when they redid the indoor gorilla exhibit- I used to feel so bad visiting them in the winter and they'd all be crammed into that little space. I haven't seen the developments on the Tundra yet- but I'm assuming it can only have improved. And Australasia was redone so that now the wombats/echindnas/swamp wallabys can venture outside (though the Great Barrier Reef...ahhh...I'll leave that one for now :p)

If anything the only thing that really caught my eye was the $100 000 budgeted for travel expenses. Conferences and talks...yes...important...but I'd like to know a) how many staff b) the location c) the topics that would warrant and justify setting that much aside...especially if the financial crisis is as bad as the press is saying it to be :(

6. Leptonyx

Sorry I stand corrected- I don't think the echidnas have access to the outside...? But still- better than what they had before I think :)

7. Meaghan Edwards

Very well put :) I have a zoo membership but I would pay an additional dollar to get in, especially if I know it went towards improving the zoo.

The ones that complain about the construction are the ones that bug me :p They want the zoo improved and have a better experience, but they don't want the work done to improve it? As much as they wish, the zoo just can't go out to Wal-mart and bring back a prefabricated exhibit :p If they're patient, they'll see that it's worth the wait.

8. Taccachantrieri

Taccachantrieri Well-Known Member

Forty six million seems like a huge operating budget, even for a large Zoo :eek:! By comparison the Calgary Zoo's expenditures for 2007 were about 30 million for an attraction that does not receive that much fewer visitors. I wonder how much the huge size of Toronto Zoo's facility and the employment of so many managers has contributed to creating such a large budget that requires high admittance fees to sustain itself.

Does anyone from the swarm:p of Toronto Zoo fans on this site have a link to the breakdown of the Toronto Zoo's budget?

9. Quartz92

10. Quartz92

Since the beginnning of the massive turmoil not many people, if I can say, no one has spoken outloud about the Toronto Zoo and its mishaps! Too bad if someone does the zoo can litteraly dump animal wastes ontop of them! There is a link to an article about a zoo emplyee speaking up! Toronto Zoo employee fired - Posted Toronto
    I stand by him and back this poor man up, he had no reason to lose his job!

11. Meaghan Edwards

Poor guy :( I think I met him a few times. The zoo needs good people like him. I thought the statue idea, while admirable, was a little questionable with how much money it was going to cost. They money going to it could be put to much needed renovations, etc. Charity events aside I've also not been a fan of handing out zoo passes.

Is the Citizen's Advisory idea still going ahead? I would seriously like to get involved in it.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/torontocitizens

12. Quartz92

I was cnsidering emailing the zoo bored because its just outragous! they really need to see how irrisponsible (couldn't think of a word, that was the most polite!) these people are being! What is the Citizen's Advisory idea? I think the zoo needs younger more creative people or to have a small group of citizens that could actually meet with the city during meetings!

13. Meaghan Edwards

I think it'd be something like the Zoo Foundation. :) Fundraising, planning, etc.

I fully agree with you, Quartz. There is a need for new blood for new ideas, etc. I think we both have some terrific ideas that could do well with a properly planned budget/committee.

14. Quartz92

It would benifit, especially with the range of ages young to old, not saying you are old Meaghan! There is so much that could be done!

15. Meaghan Edwards

25 years old, older on some days ;) I definately agree with you, though. For that number of years, I have been going to the zoo. I've also been a volunteer for the Hamilton SPCA since 1997 so I also have some more animal experience under my belt which could help, too.

16. Quartz92

It will help! I have experiance in many feilds to! Don't mean to brag but it feels good to tell your experiance every now and then! :D;):p

17. Quartz92

18. Leptonyx

At least he's fighting the case...hopefully a peaceful resolution can be made...it really is a sad day when a member of a union is fired for having an opinion :(

19. Quartz92

Last edited: 9 May 2009