Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 3 Jan 2013.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

New year means new thread!

Well, the zoo has not officially decided to go ahead with building a new Jaguar exhibit, but in the December 2012 Monthly Progress Report by the LA Bureau of Engineering there are several pages talking about where a new Jaguar exhibit could be built and details where the funds will come from. There is also a new proposed master plan schedule that if a new Jaguar exhibit is added to RoA it will mean that the opening of RoA will be pushed back to the end of 2013 to early 2014.

The report also states that RoA is currently behind schedule because of "unforeseen soil conditions and underground utilities."

LINK: http://eng.lacity.org/projects/zoo/pdf/Monthly_Report.pdf

2. mstickmanp

So like I mentioned above, it is not official yet, but in the December Zoo Commission Meeting minutes it mentions that the Bureau of Engineering will be asking the Zoo Bond Oversight Committee to extend the Rainforest of the Americas (RoA) completion date to September 30, 2013. It mentions that they are hoping to use Prop CC funds to add a jaguar exhibit to RoA and my guess is that the extension of the project completion date will allow the zoo to open the jaguar exhibit with RoA.

Other news:
    - zoo received a confiscated female San Esteban Chuckwalla
    - a breeding pair of Japanese Serow will be arriving
    - the zoo will also acquire a breeding pair of White-faced Sakis, most likely for RoA.
    - zoo received a $800,000 donation, which will be used for volunteer programs
    - GLAZA will be celebrating their 50th anniversary this November 2013, so they are planning an event for that.
    - Attendance and revenue were ahead for November 2012, but were below for December 2012 due to weather.
    - Male Chimp returned to the zoo
    - As of December, renovations to Lion exhibit continued as well as to the Bird show.

LINK: http://lazoo.org/about/commission/minutes/December2012Minutes.pdf

3. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed this when you posted Mario. Let's hope the best for a Jaguar habitat addition to RoA. That would truly make it well worth the extra wait!

4. mstickmanp

This past Saturday March 2nd I went to the zoo on a school field trip and we were given a behind the scenes tour of several animals. In the tour we were taken to see the Sumatran Rhino and I asked the keeper if there were plans to put him on exhibit. She said that there were several plans but the problem is that they want to make sure there is enough tree cover and shade to lessen the damage on his eyes.

I also got a tour/talk of the Koalas and the keeper mentioned that the Wombat is in quarantine. Unfortunately he didn't tell us were it would be exhibited and I completely forgot to ask. My guess is that the Visayan Warty Pigs will be moved and the Wombat will go in that exhibit.

I did take many photos, but from the beginning the told us that any photos taken behind the scenes cannot be uploaded to any internet website.

5. Blackduiker

That's unfortunate about the photos, but understandable because of security reasons.

6. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

RoA will have Jaguars! exhibit design is being finalized and cost will be determined before work is to be started.

7. Blackduiker

I was glad to read that about a week ago, but I just hope they compensate for the now combined Giant River Otter/Baird's Tapir habitat by a considerable increase in size.

8. mstickmanp

Where did you read that they are combining the otter and tapir exhibit? I don't remember reading that in the last monthly progress report or the zoo commission meeting minutes.

All I've read is that they have chosen to build the new Jaguar exhibit at the North end of RoA.
    LINKS: http://eng.lacity.org/projects/zoo/pdf/Monthly_Report.pdf
    http://lazoo.org/about/commission/minutes/February2013Minutes.pdf

9. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Are they really combining Giant Otters and Bairds Tapirs ? Have they been exhibited together before? Certainly not in a North American Zoo?

Team Tapir223

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both species are quite to very rare in Europe so I guess none European collection has tried to keep them together either.

11. Zoonewsguy

Zoonewsguy Member

There are no plans to have a mixed exhibit of giant otter and tapir. The Zoo is constructing two habitats.....one for each species.

12. mstickmanp

Yeah, that's all I've read from the reports. Thanks for confirming it.

13. Blackduiker

Weren't they now using the space once designated for tapirs as the new location for jaguars? And I couldn't imagine a mixed otter/tapir habitat. The otters would probably have a field day with the poor tapirs. But aren't they now building both exhibits; otter and tapir, in the space once solely allotted to the otters? I do remember reading somewhere that the chosen jaguar local is now in the space originally designated for the tapirs, due to the former China Pavilion building's potential as a holding area. And that they would now have to rework the otter habitat design to include room for the tapirs being relocated. Zoonewsguy, any further light on this?

14. mstickmanp

Well, all I've read is that the Jaguar exhibit will be built on the Northern part of RotA. I believe that the original plans before the Jaguar exhibit was scrapped was that the old China pavilion would be the holding area for the Jaguar exhibit, but that changed to become the tapir holding.

I believe you read about the tapir space now being used for the Jaguar from another member here on Zoochat. I'll try to find the post.
    EDIT: Here it is: http://www.zoochat.com/578/rainforest-americas-site-plan-255144/#post629973

Gulo gulo mentions about the otters and tapirs being together with the jaguar exhibit being built where the tapirs are in the plan.

Considering the construction is already 60% done, I doubt they will do drastic changes to the plans. The easiest thing they could do is just to simply add the Jaguar exhibit to RotA.

15. mstickmanp

Zoo babies!

Zoo babies! LA Zoo welcomes the tiny endangered faces (and giant eyes) of 5 Peninsular pronghorns and others | The Latest | 89.3 KPCC

16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very good news from the LA Zoo!:D

~Thylo:cool:

17. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is interesting. Hopefully she can make regular appearances for LA Zoo visitors. It would be great if the LA Zoo created a condor exhibit some day like San Diego Zoo and WAP and Santa Barbara Zoo have.

19. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

This is one of the more interesting sponsorships I've heard recently.

Nintendo Going Bananas at the Los Angeles Zoo!

Full article can be read here.

Thoughts? Can Kong & Kong, Jr. bring greater awareness to a younger generation?

20. mstickmanp

I'm a little behind in posting the Zoo Commission Meetings minutes. Here are the highlights.

March 19, 2013: http://lazoo.org/about/commission/minutes/March2013Minutes.pdf
    -Giant horned Lizards departed the zoo.
    -Two-toed sloth will be on display in the nursery.
    -Received a falcon for new birdshow.
    -Speke's Gazelle, Chimp, and black duiker were born.

April 16, 2013: http://lazoo.org/about/commission/minutes/April2013Minutes.pdf
    -Female alligator to St. Augustine.
    -Zoo will receive new male gerenuk for breeding.
    -births include a Gerenuk, chimp, and 13 chuckwalla eggs.

May 21, 2013: http://lazoo.org/about/commission/minutes/May2013Minutes.pdf
    -Rainforest of the America's is 75% complete and is now expected to be completed by July 1st with an August 22nd opening.
    -Zoo was donated some guinea pigs for Zoo Outreach program.
    -Will received Baird's Tapirs.
    -Serval will be leaving the zoo.
    -Zoo received $100,000 donation for giant lily pads in the RotA.
    -Zoo also received $25,000 donation for the naming of the new giraffe calf.
    -Attendance and revenue was down for April.

June 2013 LA Zoo Bong & Capital Improvement Program report:
    http://eng.lacity.org/projects/zoo/pdf/Monthly_Report.pdf

It appears that progress on the new Jaguar exhibit has been halted until RotA is completed, which is now considered behind schedule according to this report.