Join our zoo community

Phillips Park Zoo Phillips Park Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 23 Aug 2014.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have uploaded approximately 40 photos of this tiny Illinois zoo that is free to the public. Anyone wishing to check it out can browse the gallery on this website, and the zoo will be 100 years old in 2015.

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Tapir Master

Tapir Master Well-Known Member

As someone that never been here, would you say it's a decent zoo or a mediocre one?

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't like it at all when I visited a few years ago. Wolf and elk exhibits were both good, but otherwise a very mediocre and unkept zoo. Parrots in pet store cages, an overcrowded reptile house, low bird of prey cages, generally bad otter and cougar exhibits, etc. Very unappealing and I have no reason to ever return.

JVM, StoppableSan and Tapir Master like this.
  5. Tapir Master

Thanks for the description. So it's nothing special, got it.

I may consider stopping by Lincoln Park Zoo next month instead once the new exhibit is ready.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Tapir Master

Here’s some legit news after I’ve decided to come. The zoo’s only otters died after the first Covid shut down and were left with no way to compensate. The current exhibit is still under construction as a result and a keeper was nice enough to tell me that they will either get more otters or have a complete new animal in this new exhibit.

Another thing is that a Scottish Highland Cattle expansion is in the works. The few cattle they have will be moved to this new exhibit soon. It’s not too shabby being mostly small wooded fencing as it’s a small species compared to most. The keepers have zero plans if they plan to add any new animal alongside the goats and turkey, or just keep them alone.

My first time in the winter is mostly fine. Can understand the concerns about the small caging for many animals. Some I can get when they have injuries that prevent them from flying. The only animals I couldn’t see were the California Desert Tortoise due to then cleaning the tank and the Puma that prefers being inside during the cold. And I realized that the zoo’s only Canadian Lynx came straight from Brookfield, sweet.

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

E="snowleopard, post: 802392, member: 473"]I have uploaded approximately 40 photos of this tiny Illinois zoo that is free to the public. Anyone wishing to check it out can browse the gallery on this website, and the zoo will be 100 years old in 2015.[/QUOTE] Don't know if they still have prairie chicken but that's the only place I've ever seen it

8. Tapir Master

It’s been 5 months since the Aurora had discussed with the zoo owners about a brand new master plan via an online survey citizens can give suggestions through. If only I had known about this sooner because there’s so much changes they should do (like doing something with the former otter exhibit since COVID taken away its former residents).

登录 Facebook

We should be getting an update on its new master plan some time in early 2023 (hopefully soon).

JVM and Smaggledagle like this.
  9. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2022 News:

On January 23rd, the zoo announced that a (0.1) American elk named Mary Ann passed away at age 19 due to age-related health issues.

登录 Facebook

On February 5th, the zoo announced they acquired (0.0.3) axolotls named Bruce Sebastian and Patrick which are now on exhibit in the Reptile House.

Something new is bubbling at Phillips... - Phillips Park Zoo | By Phillips Park Zoo | Something new is bubbling at Phillips Park Zoo! Axolotls are a fascinating amphibian from Mexico that spend their entire lives underwater, using their...

On July 17th, the zoo announced that they started replacing areas with turf grass and replacing them with pollinator gardens.

登录 Facebook

On July 23rd, the zoo announced that they moved their (1.0) American kestrel named Pippen to a new exhibit in the Birds of the Prairie area.

登录 Facebook

On August 14th, the zoo announced they acquired a (1.0) blue-tongued skink named Indigo which is now on exhibit in the Reptile House.

登录 Facebook

---------------------------------------------------

On February 2nd, the zoo announced that their (1.0) cougar named Tonka passed away at age 18 due to complications with advanced age.

登录 Facebook

JVM likes this.
  10. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

On May 5th, the zoo announced that they transferred (1.1) American alligators named Irwin and Alice to the Critchlow Alligator Sanctuary in Michigan after they became too big for their exhibit. The former exhibit will be used to house smaller reptiles as the city of Aurora looks into a major renovation of the facility and surrounding park.

Phillips Park Zoo

Tapir Master likes this.