Join our zoo community

Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 15 Oct 2015.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Currently uploading a comprehensive array of media from my visit. Description/review will follow, probably tomorrow.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Since it's a pretty average small zoo and the media largely speaks for itself, I've decided to simply give a brief statement rather than a full walk-through or comprehensive review.

The Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo of Hilo, Hawaii, is aptly named; it is the only zoo in the United States located in a tropical rainforest climate. I was also pleasantly surprised by the admission price; it's free! Free zoos are rare, and Hawaii was one of the last places I would have expected to have a free zoo. I don't know if they receive municipal funding or if they are entirely dependent on donations and the like.

As I stated, the zoo is pretty unremarkable in terms of exhibits (mostly cages) and species (mostly small tropical animals that are commonplace in other American zoos). There are exceptions to both of these, however. The exhibit exception is a MASSIVE tiger enclosure for two tigers; I was stunned by its size, and I would be quick to argue that it rivals major zoos on the mainland for the title of best tiger exhibit in the country.

The species exception are the native Hawaiian birds. I'm pretty sure nene are held on the mainland, but two other species at Pana'ewa are not: the 'io, or Hawaiian hawk (Buteo solitarius) and Hawaiian short-eared owl (Asio flammeus sandwichensis). There also used to be Hawai'i 'amakihi (Chlorodrepanis virens) but when I visited the exhibit said "temporarily closed". Besides the 'io and pueo, there is also a *hybrid* lemur that, per studbook data, is over 90% a white-fronted lemur, an almost extinct species in North America.

The zoo certainly has potential, with both empty and underutilized space available for new exhibits and a climate that is conducive to keeping countless species. The question is whether that potential will ever be recognized, as small zoos usually lack funds for major renovation and often struggle just to keep their doors open. Whatever its future, Pana'ewa ekes out an existence as the only zoo on the Big Island and a final home for many confiscated pets and rescue animals.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there is a Hawaiian short-eared owl at Los Angeles Zoo also.

6. Coelacanth18

I knew that they had one in the recent past, but I thought I remembered people on this site being unsure whether or not it was still there. Do you know for sure that it still is? If so, it's not on exhibit.

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's still on their website (which was recently updated removing a number of species no longer st the zoo):
    Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens | Owl, Hawaiian Short-Eared

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it was never on full display, but can be seen in their bird show.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has received two non breeding male Hawaiian crows since their genes are well represented.

11. Milwaukee Man

Coelacanth18 and TinoPup like this.
  12. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2021 Zoo News:

On January 6th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) Linne's two-toed sloth was born around November 2020.

Friends of the Panaewa Zoo - Makala Sloth and Baby Sloth | Facebook

On August 27th, the zoo announced that due to new government restrictions, the petting zoo, pavilion, and playground have been closed down until further notice. The zoo reopened these areas on October 21st.

On October 15th, the zoo announced they have acquired (0.0.5+?) Indian runner ducks.

13. Smaggledagle

2022 News:

On January 9th, the zoo announced they have acquired (1.2) golden pheasant x Lady Amherst's pheasant hybrids and are located in the green Amazon parrot exhibit.

The zoo has just released a... - Friends of the Panaewa Zoo

On February 22nd, the zoo announced they have recently renovated their green Amazon parrot exhibit.

Green Amazon Parrots are... - Friends of the Panaewa Zoo

On March 27th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (1.0) green iguana which is located in the reptile house. The iguana was bred to be bluer.

On April 24th, the zoo announced they have acquired (0.0.2) leopard geckos and are on exhibit next to the red-eyed tree frogs.

The zoo received two leopard... - Friends of the Panaewa Zoo

14. Smaggledagle

15. Milwaukee Man

16. Smaggledagle

Also on November 14th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) pueo named Flower passed away due to an age-related illness.

Friends of the Panaewa Zoo

On January 10th, 2024, the zoo announced that their (1.0) common brown lemur named Gandalf passed away at age 30 on November 23rd after having a stroke.

Friends of the Panaewa Zoo

On January 21st, the zoo announced that they cut down the African Tulip tree inside the generic tiger exhibit.

For safety reasons, zoo staff recently cut down the large African Tulip tree in the tiger enclosure. The remains have created an exciting playground for... | By Friends of the Panaewa Zoo | Facebook