Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Zoo officials examine what's in a name for their animals

Discussion in 'United States' started by Simon Hampel, 22 Feb 2004.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Zoo officials examine what's in a name for their animals

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/pmupdate/s_180539.html

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea to name the animals that have at least some intelligence , or at least name recognition . If there is a large number of primates ( as there is at Wellington zoo ) it makes sense to give them names .
    It will be easier to say " Bobby doesnt appear well today " to the vet , rather than" Male chimpanzee M4041 doesnt appear well "
    The elephants at Auckland zoo respond to keepers calling them by name .
    I am sure that most animals have some sort of bonding with their keepers and knowing individual animals by name will help that bonding .
    ( I know it wont work for fish , tarantulas etc )
    Sim , you discovered first hand that calling that psychotic camel at Wellington zoo by his name ( Cairo ) managed to noticably calm him down . He does recognise " Cairo " as being himself that you are referring to . I doubt if he will recognise " Male Dromedery camel M0023 "

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Last night I went to the Pittsburgh zoo website and read it more thoroughly than what appears on the newsclipping .
    It appears that the animals have names , but these are known by zoo staff so that members of the public cannot give directions/orders to the animals .