Join our zoo community

Zoo Ostrava Zoo Ostrava news

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by cockroach, 11 Mar 2010.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It won't be missed :p definitely one of the area's most in need of being replaced!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surely.
    However I though there are still more animals in there than macaques and gibbons
    Am I wrong?

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 7 May 2022
  4. Jana

Short update on their onager herd. They live within Asian safari part in area of 1 hectare (over 2 acres) which you can drive-through using a little train. The breeding herd consists of 1 stalion (came last year from Sigean) and 9 mares of different ages. I think we can expect a nice baby boom in near future. They are mixed with bachelor herd of gazellas and Persian fallow deer and this arrangement works well over years.

Koňovití - Novinky - Chov onagerů v Zoo Ostrava

5. Marcin

Marcin Well-Known Member

Had a chance to visit the zoo on friday. The new primate enclosures is not done yet. Any news what is the current opening date plan?

Additionally if they plan to demolished the old monkey house what will happen with mandrills?

xmoose likes this.
  6. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sometimes in autumn after the animals settle there.

AFAIK they will stay in their current exhibit, only new indoors will be built for them.

Marcin and xmoose like this.
  7. xmoose

Demolition will be AFTER that, am I correct?

8. Jana

Baby boom among deer herds during this spring: 4x Père David's deer, 3x Vietnameese sika deer and 13x chital (axis) deer.

Attendance numbers are pretty good. Visitor number 250.000 came 19 days earlier than in record year (2019). I would predict ca 640k-650k at year end - still solid no.3 among Czech zoos (unless Dvur Kralove can overtake them with boost from new penguin exhibit, which I doubt).

ThylacineAlive, Marcin and twilighter like this.
  9. Jana

A new species on show - Roseate spoonbills. They were added into the walk-though La Pampa aviary.

The yellow cardinal pair living in La Pampa aviary recently managed to rear 4 chicks from one nest, a welcome boost for its captive population.

Antoine and Therabu like this.
  10. Jana

The expected baby boom is here and the onager herd got 7 youngsters born in recent weeks, 4 males and 3 females.

The colony of Lord Derby's parakeet near zoo entrance (living in former eagle owl aviary) has 14 chicks and most of them have just left nesting boxes.

Therabu likes this.
  11. Jana

12. Jana

Two Barasingha deer were born in August. This species lives in the Indian enclosure of safari, mixed with axis deer, nilgai, water buffalo and blackbuck.

Antoine, twilighter, Gil and 2 others like this.
  13. Jana

Small-clawed otters have 2 small cubs.

New species kept at the zoo - vicuna. Two females came from Zoo Hannover. Another 1,1 are expected to arrive in next weeks.

The next construction project is exhibit for penguins. Planned species are African penguin and Atlantic tarpon fish. Construction should start in 2023.

Following future projects are - Amfibiárium (house for amphibians) near zoo entrance, walk-though Andes and Australian sections both with large aviary each, and new Amur tiger exhibit (long in planning but always pushed back).

Pics of planned penguin exhibit

14. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very curious about the new developments. This is a zoo with so much potential!

15. Jana

A zoo with huge potential - yes, that is perfect definition. It just needs to fully unlock it.

While its animal exhibit developement goes in right direction, accenting both ABC and zoo-nerd species. Still I would prioritise return of tigers over penguins if I were them. planned exhibits

But the biggest Achiles heel of the zoo is probably visitors amenities. Their only restaurant (where I had my worst zoo-food experience, few years back) is currently closed indefinitely. They should take inspiration from Dvur Kralove or Zlin with multiple dining options, on-side accomodation, brewery, cafes, event planning etc.

I will repeat myself, but Ostrava could substantially rise its attendance if they would become ambitious. Silesian agglomeration on Polish side has 4,3 million people (plus another 1 mio on Czech side of the border). They could become major zoo for this huge market. The Polish side sees increase in population and rapid wealth growth. Tap it and own it!

Last edited: 2 Nov 2022
  16. xmoose

Yup. I think that Ostrava "can into" such natural exhibits (Chitwan with bears).
    I think that there are two weak spots among Ostrava exhibits - monkey house (currently mostly empty and soon to be demolished?) and lion house - though I was there yeears ago and don´t remember it that much (not great not terrible?)

17. Jana

The zoo re-opened their only restaurant Saola after maintenance period.

Vietnamese crocodile lizards (kept at the new gibbon house) have bred for the first time since their arrival - 4 little babies were born recently, but will stay back stage in near future.

Article

JurassicMax and twilighter like this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's the determinator that Ostrava has Vietnamese as opposed to the typical Chinese Crocodile Lizards?

~Thylo

19. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both are present in Europe.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  20. Jana

Origin of the population. Ostrava got a pair of lizards from Köln zoo (Cologne in Germany) last year and they got them collecting in Vietnam. The female came pregnant already.

This is quoting the zoo itself:
    "Ostrava Zoo is one of five European zoos that keep the Vietnamese subspecies of the Chinese crocodile lizard. They are not kept by any institution outside of Europe. Including our four cubs, the current European population is only 29 individuals. Breeding has been successful so far only in Cologne zoo, which is intensively devoted to these reptiles and it supports scientific and conservation activities directly in Vietnam."

Link

JurassicMax and ThylacineAlive like this.