Join our zoo community

Zoo owner: new to ZooChat!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BAILIWICKZOO, 20 Oct 2011.

1. BAILIWICKZOO

BAILIWICKZOO New Member

Hi,
    my father is the owner of Bailiwick Ranch and Discovery Zoo. We are right next door to the old Catskill Game Farm. We've offered horseback riding for almost 50 years now. Growing up next to the Catskill Game Farm we were very sad to see it go, but it opened up a new door for us, with our love for all animals it seemed only natural to open a small version of the Game Farm. Many people still come visting thinking we reopened the Game Farm, but we really just moved it over on a smaller scale. If you were a frquent vistor you might recognize the fencing and buildings from the Game Farm. We opened the zoo in 2007. Every year we try to add some new things. From the Catskill Game Farm we got two fallow deer, a sulcatta tortoise, two dromedary camels, and they donated two female ringtail lemurs to us. Most of our other animals are rescues.
    We have a wide variety of exotic animals including bear, chimpanzees, tiger, kangaroos, alligators and more.
    Our animals are not considered pets or anything like that. They are our family. Most live inside the house with us during the winter.
    we also offer traveling with our exotics for educationals.

please visit us on the web at Bailiwick Ranch and Zoo

Thanks!

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to the site,

Hope to hear about your experiences with the zoo.

3. Screvier20

Screvier20 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat. I've posted many photos of the Catskill Game Farm here check am out. I'm from Schenectady need to get down and visit the zoo have not been there.

4. hedigerfan

hedigerfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just followed the link to the web site and the photograph at the bottom of the home page shows a tiger next to a very low fance that is an accident waiting to happen. You may wish to review the security of your tiger enclosure.

5. BAILIWICKZOO

BAILIWICKZOO New Member

The fence to his immediate left? It's 13' high with a 2' overhang and electrified. It's USDA approved.

Our male bengal tiger "Titan" was raised here from a few months old. he's 2 1/2 now, and still loves his ears scratched! He's great, I spend a lot of time with him everyday. He loves to be hosed down, and jumps in his swimming pool when I bring out the hose. Then he pulls his toys out of the pool, he likes to put everything in there. He lived in our house with us, until he got too big.

6. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

Hi Baliwick! I think you might find some folks disaprove. LOL. Personally as long as the tiger's happy and bystanders are safe I think it's your business if you want to go in with him.

7. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Greetings BAILIWICKZOO! I hope you soon post photos of your zoo.

8. ZooMan Texas

ZooMan Texas Active Member

Welcome Bailiwick Zoo

Hey There! Glad to see you on ZooChat. As a small zoo owner myself who has been occasionally checking into the site for over a year, let me proffer a few observations. First, the people who access the site range from top professionals (directors to entry-level keepers) in some of the biggest AZA (and other organizations in other countries) zoos, to zoo docents, to people who just like to daydream about starting their own place(but who never will for one reason or another). You will find some very useful observations and opinions, and some stuff from rank, but well-meaning, amateurs, which will astonish you with its naivete. The amateurs dominate, probably because they have more time. Also, be aware, animal-rights crazies regularly check things out as well, so be cautious. The site can be very useful, but take everything you read, especially opinions, with a grain of salt. The photos are awesome, however. Have fun and good luck!

9. Scott90

Scott90 Member

I hope to visit your zoo some time this year.

10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Great to have you here!

11. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat.

12. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

I know it's late but welcome to ZooChat! I spoke to your dad today on the phone and hope to visit your zoo in July along with Adirondack and Utica. I work at a zoo in Massachusetts.