Join our zoo community

Zoo Photo Competitions

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by littleRedPanda, 2 Feb 2018.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone enters Zoo's own photo comps?
    I've only entered one in the past, but might do a few this year.

2. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

I haven't so far because those I have seen claim copyright of any photos you enter. I'm a photographer and don't hand over my copyright. :)

3. littleRedPanda

Fair enough. I'm quite happy to let some zoos save a few pennies on photographs to feed their animals etc, seeing as their memberships allow me so many free entries. Saying that, I can't see them saving much by using my entries :)

4. Welsh Zootographer

I have no problems with people using my photographs (with a credit), I have this arrangement with a local preserved steam railway. But when they claim copyright I can no longer benefit from my photos in other ways. :)

5. littleRedPanda

Is that what happens though? In the terms of Blackpool Zoo, only because it was the first i'd looked at for a while "By entering the competition, each entrant grants to Blackpool Zoo an irrevocable license to use their image for any and all zoo educational and marketing purposes." It's not so much giving them copyright, but allowing them to use the image as they wish. I'd expect that to be the case with other zoo competitions.

6. Welsh Zootographer

That is no problem, but when I have seen a couple of others they haven't been worded as that. I can't recall where, my family are always giving me information on photo competitions even though I only enter photographic exhibitions recognised by FIAP, PSA, RPS, etc. :D

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The copyright of a photograph always belongs to the photographer unless he/she has been paid for that copyright or commissioned to take the photograph or unless he/she has waived that copyright, for example by placing it in the public domain (see the Creative Commons website - but keep some aspirins handy ;)).
    The complication is that zoo animals all have owners (generally, but not always, the zoo itself) and so they also own image rights and are entitled to payment for commercial use of an image of the animal - which is why Parques Reunidos, the company owning Blackpool, is entitled to make the statement quoted.
    I think that there are three morals of this story: always read the small print, always set up your camera to record your copyright of your images and never expect to make any money from zoo photography :rolleyes:

ro6ca66 and littleRedPanda like this.
  8. littleRedPanda

Although a few friends have suggested it, i've never felt right about trying to sell any zoo photos; if I did, then I'd donate some/most of the meagre profit to the related establishments. I have emailed Blackpool Zoo about the term I quoted, not that it really affects my plans. I do know that ZSL have "Permission must be obtained for all filming and photography for commercial purposes." in their general terms of entry

9. littleRedPanda

Ooh, forgot to mention that I got a reply from Blackpool confirming that entries still have copyright to their photos.

Welsh Zootographer likes this.