Join our zoo community

Zoo Planning

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by grandelover1, 23 Mar 2018.

1. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!!! I haven’t been too too active lately, definitely not as much as I used to, but I am back! I have hinted since I’ve joined that I’d like to start my own zoo eventually. Well, things are starting to align and it seems as thought it is slowly happening! I obviously want to start small, with easy to get, common animals, because I don’t want to dive in too deep in case it doesn’t work out. I’m currently work on a list of animals I’d like to keep, and which ones I’d like to get first! I already know from personal preference that I want to lead into endangered/uncommon small mammals and reptiles. Of course I’d still have birds, fish, amphibians, and invertebrates, but those are the places I have the most interest. I’m 100% open to suggestions and questions! So ask and suggest as you please!!

2. grandelover1

I’m almost finished with the Mammal list, and I have started work on the Bird list! Mammal list will be posted later today!

3. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member

How's that birds list going?

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

So do you actually have legitimate resources to construct and found a zoo? Or is this just a fantasy list of animals that you would incorporate into a hypothetical zoo?

5. grandelover1

This is legitimate and starting to align. It’ll still be another 4-5 years but I’m just planning right now as I like to be organized and planned out.

birdsandbats and pachyderm pro like this.
  6. grandelover1

Not gonna lie it’s a struggle XD idk too much about birds

7. pachyderm pro

In that case, the best of luck to you. It really is quite cool to see multiple zoochatters attempting to found a zoo recently, if course with proper experience I presume.

In that case, I suggest you start with very few birds and learn as you go. Maybe some easier domestic parrots or cockatoos would be ideal. If you want to be a little more adventurous, @FBBird’s idea of a tropical walkthrough aviary could workout if the moneys there.

Please inform us on how this all develops, just remember to keep things realistic and do not get too in over your head.

grandelover1 likes this.
  8. grandelover1

thank you for the advice! And will do on the updating. I have a lot of experience with reptiles and small mammals in specifics. I plan on starting with the easier animals in the places I’m not so good in to get the hang of them before I start moving on. I’m also pushing myself to think of ways to exhibit the animals right now, as I am not a fan of wire fence, even though I know it’s unavoidable really, I’m still tryna think of unique and safe ways to do so. I’ll be posting the mammal list in an hour or so.

9. grandelover1

I know that I 100% want to start out with easy to get animals i.e. wallabies, kangaroos, and porcupines etc. but after a few years of it running smooth and smaller additions I’d like to take on the first expansion. And I 100% know that id like to venture into a Madagascar expansion with a few exhibits. What Madagascan animals are easy to come across/are obtainable. Obviously common lemurs, fossas, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates are gonna be obtainable but I’m stumped beyond that point.

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

Ring-Tailed Lemurs and Brown Lemurs are both very common. Both ruffed lemur species should be obtainable. Fossas aren't too common, but definitely obtainable if you look hard enough. Chameleons, Tomato Frogs, Giant Day Geckos and possibly a few tortoise species should be easy to find. Lesser Hedgehog Tenrecs are also sometimes available. You could also get some domestic guineafowl that display the general wild coloration.

grandelover1 likes this.
  11. PossumRoach

If you don't mind importing from Europe other species of tenrec can also be found. I wish I could say vasa parrot but according to the world parrot trust they are found rarely in captivity.

grandelover1 likes this.
  12. grandelover1

actually there’s quite a few vasa’s in america so they’re definitely an option!

13. PossumRoach

Wouldn't the black and white ruffed lemurs and brown lemurs, assuming they are obtained from a breeder, be hybrids both species and subspecies wise?

grandelover1 likes this.
  14. birdsandbats

Also, forgot to mention Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are available, so are several Malagasy fish species.
    Also, White-Faced Whistling Ducks, African Pygmy Geese, Gray-Headed Lovebirds, and vasa parrots.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2018
    grandelover1 likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

Probably at subspecies level. Possibly species level for the Brown Lemur.

grandelover1 likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

Where will the zoo be located?

grandelover1 likes this.
  17. grandelover1

the location will be in eastern Ohio close to the Pennsylvania.

18. PossumRoach

Well I wish you good luck not being HSUS'ed

grandelover1 likes this.
  19. pachyderm pro

Accredited or private?

Here’s an idea for a Madagascar exhibit. Larger walkthrough lemur exhibit with ring-tailed, Red-ruffed and brown lemurs. Medium sized walkthrough aviary with white-faced whistling duck, gray headed love bird, African Pygmy geese, Madagascar teal, Madagascan partridge, Madagascan lovebird and a few others wilth a large pool and plenty of trees. Indoor area featuring glass viewing for the lemur exhibit - for those who don’t want to go through the walkthrough - and plenty of large terrariums for Madagascar cockroaches, giant day geckos, tomato frogs, raided tortoise, several chemelon species, some snake species, an aquarium and maybe a few tenrecs as well. Fairly creative but not over ambitious and would make a solid exhibit area with a nice list of species.

grandelover1 likes this.
  20. pachyderm pro

I’m also going to go ahead and ping @Batto who as I’m sure you know has experience with this sort of thing. He is easily the most helpful resorce you can find on this site.

Edit: Also where’s that mammal list?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2018
    grandelover1 likes this.