Join our zoo community

Zoo Planning

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by grandelover1, 23 Mar 2018.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

So you have practical husbandry experience, but no formal education in any field relevant to animal keeping, haven't you? Do you also have any experience / education in regard to entrepreneurship / business management, @grandelover1?
    Unfortunately, money is ALWAYS a major issue in zoos, no matter whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. :(

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

So let’s organize this, shall we?

So your experience with animals includes...
    - Working at an exotic reptile store
    - Housing many reptiles and exotic small mammals as pets for many years
    - Working on a farm with domestics and an elderly wallaby
    - Volunteering at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo for a year and a half
    - Volunteering at a bird rescue center

So you have a good amount of experience, but what about the business side of things? You’ll keep the animals if the zoo fails? But what happens to all the money you invested in this project? It just goes down the drain. If you don’t feel comfortable discussing financial aspects, that’s understandable. But if you don’t now how to properly run a business, then you cannot found a zoo. Before going any further, I encourage you to make a buisness plan and continue with your animal lists later.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Mar 2018
  3. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

I don’t remember if I mentioned this earlier but it’ll be a group effort and 2 of the people who will help out have business backgrounds and will handle that part of the zoo. I’m just 1/4 of the group. Another I’m doing is trying to find people who would be zookeepers and other things of that sort. I’m also searching out an area with an experienced exotics vet just in case. The keeping animals thing won’t be an issue. I have enough flow to support them.

4. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I used to work on a government programme supporting new business start ups, so feel free to hit me up any time.

grandelover1 likes this.
  5. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

6. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member

Have you found any suitable land for the zoo yet?

7. grandelover1

I have a few places I’m looking at and talking to realtors of, but I’m still stuck on what acreage I’m looking for.

8. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member

I’d suggest buy more than you need so you can expand if the zoo takes off

grandelover1 likes this.
  9. grandelover1

that’s what I was thinking. I was gonna shoot for somewhere around 70-100

10. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member

Wow... um... well let me be probably the millionth person to wish you good luck, and I wish I was apart of this. I'd change places with you any day

grandelover1 likes this.
  11. grandelover1

Thank you so much! <3

12. grandelover1

The very first step of this will be to seek out and buy land. I have decided to go with 100 acres because it’s better to have land to expand than to landlock myself if it does take off. I will then take care of anything that needs to be taken care of on the land. Then will be the process of getting all the proper licenses and getting permissions and seeking out people to work with. Any suggestions to this beginning plan are much appreciated!

13. ChampsosaurusKing

ChampsosaurusKing Member

First thing I would recommend doing in deciding on a lot to choose, and where to go afterwards, would be to see what exactly is on the land. Was it a former, or even still is a farm, and if so, was it for livestock, crops... what structures are on the land, if any, and how many. It’s (I would assume) much more easier to renovate an old barn into anything from a hofstock wintering enclosure, to a indoor enclosure complex, to a restaurant, to a maintenance area, rather then building it from scratch, cheaper too. You should also consider what the terrain is around there. Is it forested, meadowed, fields for crops, a junk pile? It’s far harder to keep hoofstock in forest then in a field. Also, are you planning to live at the property, or commute? (Since I assume you’ll make up a large part of the permanent care staff). If so, a residence on the land might be something to consider. If you’re planning on commuting, it limits how far away the zoo could be, since you need to get there almost every, if not every, day. Also, think population centres, commuting routes, what are other tourist attractions in the area (the more (that aren’t zoos), the better, as they’ll be more interest).

14. grandelover1

Definitely love the idea of the barn being turned into winter housing. I’m gonna shoot for mostly open land with some forested areas along the way. I love trees and I’m okay clearing out some for the sections that don’t need them as much, so I might go full on forested. I don’t plan to live on the property but I’m probably gonna have a place for staff to stay in case of weather conditions, an important birth, etc.. The region I’m looking at it is close to a couple population hot spots in Ohio and Pennsylvania. The only animal attraction near is The Wilds (about 45 mins away) but it’s hella expensive for the average person to visit and it’s not a zoo so I don’t view that as competition.

15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

But none of the four has any experience in successfully establishing or running a zoo, haven't they? Will all decisions concerning the daily operation of the zoo be made via democratic majority vote, or will there be a single main decision-maker, i.e. zoo director? Will the future profit generated by the zoo be divided into four equal shares? Does any of the four have a formal education or an officially certificated qualification in a field relevant to the future operation of a zoo (i.e. veterinary medicine, zoology, zoo animal husbandry etc.)? Based on personal experience, I can only confirm that this can be highly relevant (or can at least make things a lot easier) when dealing with authorities; it surely facilitated a lot for me.
    Thanks in advance for "translating"/rephrasing this @pachyderm pro, even though I'd appreciate a direct reply by @grandelover1. I might be a tad bit more critical about the so far revealed rough draft than, say, @BigNate ;), but I'm always interested in a inspiring, practical and realistic zoo concept for the betterment of my own existing business. Especially when it's one of the really, really rare cases for which money isn't an issue.

jayjds2 likes this.
  16. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member

Oh I'm skeptical too, but I think his got a lot more figured out than he's telling us

grandelover1 likes this.
  17. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

@BigNate : previous posts such as
    do not appear to indicate an highly advanced and realized concept status. But maybe I'm mistaken.