Join our zoo community

Staglands Zoo Report: Staglands

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Cassidy Casuar, 30 Nov 2014.

1. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member

Today I decided to visit Staglands to survey what animals are currently held there.
    Staglands does not hold any "zoo" mammals; they currently hold Goats, Pigs, Horses, Donkeys, Fallow Deer, Rabbits and Guinea Pigs.
    In the case of fish, they hold Rainbow and Brown Trout, native Eels (species?) and Goldfish.
    In the case of reptiles, they only hold Red-eared Sliders, but I saw no sign of them, so Staglands may no longer hold any reptiles.
    I focussed largely on the bird species that are kept there; listed here in no specific order. In the case of the waterfowl, it was difficult to tell whether or not some of the free-ranging species were actually wild birds (namely those which are already present in the wild in New Zealand and have Staglands included in their wild range), but I have chosen to list all of the waterfowl species that I saw as a "precaution".

BIRDS:

-Domestic Fowl: Surprisingly sparse from what I could tell, but probably over fifty present.
    -Domestic Turkey: Two in one of the aviaries; another in the deer paddock.
    -Ring-necked Pheasant: One free-ranging male; another male in one of the aviaries. A sign said that the species was present in the walk-through aviary as well, but I doubt that this is currently true.
    -Silver Pheasant: A male in the walk-through aviary.
    -Golden Pheasant/Golden Pheasant hybrid: A male in the walk-through aviary.
    -Lady Amherst's Pheasant/Lady Amherst's Pheasant hybrid: A male in the walk-through aviary.
    -Indian Peafowl: Many; seemingly mostly males. A leucistic male was in one of the aviaries; a female of a different colour morph was in a different aviary.
    -Helmeted Guineafowl: Probably the most common species in the park; seen almost everywhere.
    -Red-legged Partridge: One or two in the walk-through aviary.
    -Rock Dove: The "Archangel" breed was seemingly the most populous bird in the walk-through aviary; free-ranging white birds were common in the park.
    -Barbary Dove: A few in the walk-through aviary; a few free-ranging.
    -Spotted Dove: Probably over ten in the walk-through aviary and two free-ranging.
    -Mallard/Mallard x Grey Duck hybrid: Some of the hybrids looked like they could have been pure-bred Grey Ducks, but this is obviously highly unlikely. Mallards were common in the park, but surprisingly few of them were actually derived from domestic breeds; those that were, were Pekin ducks.
    -New Zealand Shoveler: Two males.
    -Grey Teal: One sick-looking bird.
    -Brown Teal: Three individuals.
    -Mandarin Duck: A male in breeding plumage.
    -New Zealand Scaup: A lone male.
    -Blue Duck: A pair in their exclusive aviary.
    -Muscovy Duck: Two by the river.
    -Australian Shelduck: One pair.
    -Paradise Shelduck: A few scattered throughout the park.
    -Cape Barren Goose: Three near the exit of the walk-through aviary and two in the deer paddock.
    -Greylag Goose: A small number; a trio appeared to be of the "Sebastopol" breed.
    -Chinese Goose: Less than five, to my recollection.
    -Canada Goose: Two in the deer paddock.
    -Mute Swan: One on the trout pond.
    -Sulphur-crested Cockatoo: One in the walk-through aviary.
    -Corella: A pair in one of the aviaries; not sure which species.
    -Cockatiel: Some in the walk-through aviary.
    -Rainbow Lorikeet: A few in the walk-through aviary.
    -King Parrot: One female in the walk-through aviary.
    -Budgerigar: Some in the walk-through aviary.
    -Indian Ringneck: Some in the walk-through aviary.
    -South Island Kaka: One in the Kea & Kaka aviary; a bird hiding in a box that I could not identify could have been another one.
    -Kea: Two in the Kea & Kaka aviary.
    -New Zealand Falcon: One in the exclusive aviary of the species; the pamphlet says that there is a pair present.
    -Zebra Finch: Some in the walk-through aviary.
    -Java Sparrow: Saw one adult and what might have been a juvenile in the walk-through aviary, but there were probably more than that.
    -White-backed Australian Magpie: One in one of the aviaries; interesting in that it could perfectly mimic the call of Peafowl.
    -Rook: One in the deer paddock; highly approachable, so definitely a semi-domestic specimen. I saw it fly during my visit last year, but not this time.

SPECIES NOT SEEN BUT ALLEGEDLY PRESENT:

-Black Swan: I am almost certain that I saw them at Staglands last year, and the pamphlet states that they are present. I may have overlooked them during this visit.
    -North Island Weka: The pamphlet states that one is present in one of the aviaries; I could easily have overlooked it.
    -Pukeko: The pamphlet states that they are present, but I don't think I have ever seen them there.
    -California Quail: A sign in the walk-through aviary stated that they were present there, but I did not see any.
    -Bobwhite Quail: I saw a lone male in the walk-through aviary last year, and a sign states that they are present there, but I did not see any this time.
    -Bengalese Finch: A sign in the walk-through aviary stated that they were present there, but I did not see any.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

very good. I haven't been to Staglands for many years. Are you sure they have South Island kaka though, and not North Island?

3. Cassidy Casuar

The enclosure sign said that they were South Island Kaka.

4. Cassidy Casuar

I visited again today, and there have been a number of notable changes since my previous visit:

-A 'dent' seems to have been made on the waterfowl collection there. Apart from the Sebastopol geese, which I think were present (I wasn't paying much attention where I expected to see them), there were no greylag geese present, though there were about five Chinese geese that were probably hybrids. Distressingly, the Mandarin duck was not present, and the male chestnut-breasted shelduck was alone (it also appeared to be blind in one eye, which I take to mean that it is an old bird that will soon go the way of its mate). There were also no brown teals or shovelers present, and there were less mallard hybrids with a strong grey duck resemblance. The only positives regarding the waterfowl collection were an increase in the number of scaups and grey teals; with there being at least four of the former and three of the latter. I also saw one or two black swans.

-Red-eared sliders were present; there were at least three in a fairly large, shallow pond adjacent to the deer paddock, which is certainly an improvement over the small, puddle-like pond where they were formerly present (it still exists, and a few silkie chickens were hanging around it).

-The walk-through aviary has new signwork now; rainbow lorikeet, king parrot, and bobwhite quail were not included in it, which probably means that none of those species exist in the aviary any longer. In contrast to me not seeing any on my last visit, Bengalese finches were plentiful in the aviary this time, as were diamond doves, which are a completely new addition to it. The gamebird species listed as being in the aviary were California quail, red-legged partridge, and Reeves's, Swinhoe's, golden (hybrid), Lady Amherst's (hybrid), and silver pheasants; of these, I saw one red-legged partridge, one male and one or two female silver pheasants, and one male Lady Amherst's (hybrid) pheasant. Spotted doves were nowhere to be seen, despite being included in the signwork; a surprise going by how well they seemed to be doing when I last visited.

-In the deer paddock, birds that were not previously present were a pair of emus and a (probably wild) pukeko. The rook was gone; there's a good chance that it was an old specimen.

-The captive magpie was gone, and I saw no ring-necked pheasants during my visit.

-I managed to confirm the presence of North Island wekas there; at least two birds were in one of the aviaries.

-In the kea and NI kaka aviary, I saw two keas and one kaka.

-The blue duck aviary is now very different; it is now a small walk-through aviary, and according to the signwork, currently holds blue ducks as well as kereru and red-crowned parakeets, but the only bird I saw there was a lone kereru.