Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Zoo showcase

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by Anteaterman, 7 Nov 2019.

1. Anteaterman

Anteaterman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

(Prepare for a long post) After starting several zoos only to not finish building them, I've finally started on a large-scale project that I'm hoping I will finish. This zoo is called the Oahu Zoo, obviously located on the island of Hawaii of the same name. So far I have built: A parking lot/entrance, a Penguin habitat (no real animals), a large entrance plaza, a Komodo Dragon habitat, a Nocturnal House (no real animals except for the Chinese Pangolin), a Timber Wolf habitat, a Mountain Lion habitat (no animals), a Canadian Lynx habitat (no animals), a Bald Eagle habitat (no animals), a Porcupine habitat (no animals), and a Big Cat House featuring Siberian Tigers, African Lions, and Snow Leopards. I've also begun terraforming in the back, and I've left a large space for the inevitable Australian DLC. I used several blueprints from the workshop (no habitats, just stuff like shade structures and construction vehicles.)
    Screenshot (565).png Screenshot (566).png Screenshot (567).png Screenshot (570).png Screenshot (571).png Screenshot (573).png Screenshot (574).png Screenshot (575).png Screenshot (568).png Screenshot (569).png

2. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Anteaterman I'm obsessed with this. Your foliage placement is on point. The enclosures are also very realistic.

Anteaterman likes this.
  3. Anteaterman

Thank you so much!

4. Anteaterman

Since my last post, I have completed half of the zoo's Children's Zoo. The habitats so far: Red Pandas, Two small aviaries for Kookaburras and Andean Cock-of-the-Rock (not real), and a Petting Zoo home to Llamas and Dall Sheep (used as a placeholder for domestic sheep at least until we get some kind of Petting Zoo DLC, which is unlikely). I have also placed down some blueprints of a barn and a playground because I'm bad at building that kind of stuff. Next up will be habitats for Camels, Macaques, Anteaters, and Aldabra Giant Tortoises, along with fake habitats for African Penguins and Naked Mole Rats.
    Screenshot (581).png Screenshot (584).png Screenshot (582).png Screenshot (583).png Screenshot (585).png

ZSH, Neil chace, EsserWarrior and 3 others like this.
  5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Can you show me more pics of the aviary type enclosures? (The third pic)

Not sure how you have created the mesh roof on them.

6. Anteaterman

The person who made the aviary blueprint used the "New World Fence Post 03" to make the mesh, and put them horizontally and vertically to form a grid shape. If you don't want to go to the trouble of making one, then here's the link to the workshop item: Steam Workshop :: Aviary Set
    Screenshot (587).png Screenshot (588).png Screenshot (589).png Screenshot (590).png

ZSH, EsserWarrior and TNT like this.
  7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will certainly use this in the future. Probably make my own panel of it and blueprint it so I can use it across zoos.

Anteaterman likes this.
  8. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh that's really cool! I've wanted some mesh like that for a while!

Anteaterman likes this.
  9. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi guys, episode 4 of my Whipsnade recreation is up! In this episode I work on a very popular area at the zoo - the enclosures for common and Pygmy hippos. Featuring tiered pools, a pygmy underpass and lots more terrain work!

10. BongoHardwood

Few screenshots from episode 5 of Whipsnade recreation. In this one I finish off the hippo/cheetah section with the indoor hippo viewing area and cheetah breeding centre. Featuring covered animal raceways, indoor pools, a wildlife garden and plenty of planting!

B75FDBCF-FC29-48CD-B118-EB4E491A2915.png DFEA7C07-F9CE-42D9-98FA-B433C93E3B46.png 6FA15827-ED96-433C-83DE-5E167985872E.png

11. Anteaterman

It's been some time since I've built anything in my zoo, but over the past couple days I've gotten quite a lot done. Instead of building more of the children's zoo (Macaques, Camels, etc.), I decided to make a reptile area. The reptile house is loosely inspired by the San Diego Zoo's reptile house (the one I built is much smaller). Even though I decided to stop building the children's zoo, still added Anteaters and Aldabra Tortoises. I also scrapped the farm area with Llamas and Sheep and converted it into a habitat for Little Penguins, and swapped out the Lions at the Cat House for Bengal Tigers.
    Screenshot (613).png Screenshot (618).png Screenshot (619).png Screenshot (620).png Screenshot (616).png Screenshot (617).png Screenshot (615).png

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They look impressive.

13. BongoHardwood

Here’s Episode 6 of my Whipsnade Zoo recreation :) In this one I tackle the enclosure for a relatively recent addition to the zoo - our African Hunting Dogs. Featuring mosaics, a zip line and a bluebell woodland!

14. BongoHardwood

Hey guys, Episode 7 of my Whipsnade Zoo recreation is now up. In this episode I focus on enclosures for some of the smaller mammals in the zoo and make the otter island and red panda enclosure. Featuring a concrete-lined moat, nest boxes and an underground otter house!

15. BongoHardwood

Hey guys, a nice chilled episode of Whipsnade Zoo recreation this week in which we get the waterfowl lake sorted. Featuring lots of terrain work, lots of water and lots of planting!

TheGerenuk likes this.
  16. BongoHardwood

Hey guys, something a bit different this week in my Whipsnade Zoo recreation - making the main zoo restaurant. Featuring a covered BBQ area, custom tables and chairs and lots of detailing!

amur leopard likes this.
  17. BongoHardwood

Hey guys, a fairly simple build this week where I finally do the wattled crane enclosure and some of the surrounding areas that still needed filling in. Featuring custom tree guards, a zookeeper tools prop set and an army of trees!

18. BongoHardwood

Hi guys! A variety of things in this week's Whipsnade episode - male zebra paddock, wattled crane yard, main zebra enclosure finishing touches and a recap of my giraffe live streams! Featuring more fake netting, a huge wooden walkway and custom doors for giraffes and people!

19. BongoHardwood

Hi guys! Something a little different this week - I completed the white rhino house and have made it a speed build video! I hope you enjoy seeing the process of building/detailing this house. Featuring lots of custom gates, a raised viewing corridor and some lighting for a change!

EsserWarrior and TheGerenuk like this.
  20. Anteaterman

I thought it was about time I do another post about the park I've been working on. A lot has changed in my park since my last post, so here's everything that's changed: The Big Cat House has been replaced by two islands for Gibbons; the Children's Zoo has been entirely rebuilt, this time featuring two Red Panda exhibits, a Snow Leopard exhibit, a Prairie Dog exhibit, and a new playground (gotten off of the workshop); the canyon where the Australia area was going to go has now been raised to the normal ground level, and with the DLC coming out I have begun to plan where everything will go; the Gharial and Crocodile exhibits have merged, and now only house Crocodiles; a Chimpanzee exhibit has been built near the Reptile House; the Anteater exhibit has been replaced by a snack bar (the Anteaters will go somewhere else); I have completed about a third of the African section of the zoo, featuring a Flamingo exhibit, two African Wild Dog exhibits, a Meerkat exhibit, three bird exhibits, a Cheetah exhibit, a Warthog exhibit, a Hyena exhibit, and a Lion exhibit (I'm still deciding if I should turn the Lion exhibit into a rotational habitat for the Wild Dogs and Hyenas along with the Lions); and finally I have built a small Tree Kangaroo house, a Hawaiian Bird Center, and a small amphitheater (the Tree Kangaroo house and the bird center will likely be demolished soon).
    Here are a few images showing the changes (not all changes are shown):
    Screenshot (181).png
    Screenshot (185).png
    Screenshot (191).png
    Screenshot (186).png
    Screenshot (189).png
    Screenshot (200).png
    Screenshot (190).png
    (Note: The Lion habitat is not finished yet, I still have lots of foliage to add)