Join our zoo community

zoo Silesia

Discussion in 'Poland' started by eddielargefc, 27 Mar 2013.

1. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

Hi
    My son and I are zoo enthusiasts from the Uk are a looking forward to a trip to Katowice in July when we hope to visit zoo Silesia. We will be travelling by train but the zoo looks quite far from the main station in Katowice, is it easy to get to the zoo (and back to the station) by public transport? Is there another zoo in Chorzow (please forgive the spelling) or are zoo Katowice,zoo Chorzow and SIlesia zoo all different names for the same zoo?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Rhinopithecus

Rhinopithecus Active Member

Katowice zoo is equal to Chorzow and Silesian zoo. The trouble is that the zoo is placed on grounds belonging to three different administrative units. The zoo is easy to reach from the train station by tram lines 6, 7, 11, 19 i 23. You have to get out when you see an iron giraffe or ask people for zoo. There is some 5-10 minutes walk from tram stop to the main entrance. Don't expect too much, especially with the current state of rebuilding that goes on in the zoo (and very cold weather in Poland). The spring seem to be far away.

3. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

Thanks for sharing the tram numbers and the fact that there is a walk from the zoo stop that is useful to know.