Join our zoo community

Zoo, south-east-QLD Australia (abandoned / closed down)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by wallum, 15 Feb 2014.

1. wallum

wallum New Member

Hello everyone.
    I was hoping someone here could help me. I am looking for the name of a zoo or wildlife sanctuary that has been closed down for at least 15 years. It could be closer to 20 years. I remember going as a child, around 30 years ago.
    It was located somewhere between Brisbane's outer northern suburbs, and the Sunshine coast. Most likely Narangba, caboolture, area. And I think it was on a river, or a body of water.
    I've tried really hard to search for abandoned zoos in this area, but to no avail. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was small zoo east of the Bruce Highway, near the Caboolture turn-off. I think that it had a creek behind it. Bob Whitehouse, of pheasant and waterfowl fame, owned it at one time if memory serves me correctly.

There was another monstrosity of a zoo at Buderim

3. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Monstrosity was a good word for it, Steve.

I remember that they had seals swimming round in what looked like household rainwater tanks (corrugated iron) and monkeys housed individually in concrete floored wire cages each with a floor area about 1 metre x 1 metre.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

........... open on all 4 sides to the elements and a banana box or similar for "shelter".

The owner made extra bucks from Koala photos but the Koalas lived in a little cage ankle deep in mud.

5. wallum

wallum New Member

Thank you for the info. I don't think it was the one at Buderim, that sounds horrible. I think I would remember such unhappy, destitute animals, even as a small child. I'll look into the one at Caboolture, but I think the one I remember may have been medium-sized (although everything seems bigger as a child).
    Do you have any names?

6. Grubb

Grubb New Member

Was that were the servo is on the highway near burpegary .was the zoo run by a bloke named noel and his partner Cathy