Join our zoo community

Zoo staffing levels

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shirokuma, 12 Sep 2014.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Someone asked me about this and it occurred to me I have no idea.

How many zoo keepers, on average to zoos employ?

Obviously it varies according to collection size but does anyone have a rough idea?

2. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Really depends. Some zoos can afford to have smaller sections, which means more keepers. Some zoos (like the one I worked in) have huge sections (1 for mammals, 1 for birds and 1 for primates) and only two or three staff working each section, which means they're running around like nutters all day trying to everything done!

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have to hand International Zoo Yewarbook volume 39 and as an example I pixcked a page at random (page 260)

data for 2002

Germany
    Wilhelma Zoo, Stuttgart 1039 species 232 staff
    Tierpark Ueckermuende 97 species 21 staff
    Vogelpark Walsrode 705 species 65 staff
    Wuppertal 464 species 81 staff

Guinea-Bissau
    River Zoo Farm 165 species 36 staff

Hong Kong
    Hong Kong Zoo 227 species 32 staff
    Ocean Park, Hong Kong 516 species 771 staff

Not all staff are keepers but it does show how the number varies in different collections.

1238 staff listed for 7 collections gives an average of 176 staff, this is obviously an inflated figure because of Ocean Park. disregarding the last collection the figure is 467 staff in 6 collections, an average of 77 per collection.

4. Shirokuma

Thank you for that information, very interesting as I'd never really thought about this.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's not really answer to your question. There is such a huge range in zoos, from tiny to large, struggling to secure, cowboy to professional. It also depends on where in the world the zoo is I should expect.

If you can find staff numbers for individual zoos, also, they tend to be for all staff not just the keepers.

I think it is safe to say, though, that few (if any?) zoos have enough keepers!

6. Shirokuma

Of course it will vary, I know that. I just wondered what some examples might be.