Join our zoo community

Zoo supporter looking for a great community

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by littlewallaby, 15 Jan 2017.

1. littlewallaby

littlewallaby Active Member

Name: Paula
    Local zoo: Cleveland Metroparks

Why am I here?

Now that you know the important stuff, I guess I'll try not to bore you with a lengthy intro.

I generally have a problem keeping up with forums these days, but I've been irked for a long time by the fact that I have virtually no one to discuss animal/zoo related matters, and no consistent communities to head back to when I really want to discuss something.

I've been on zoochat before and it looks like a great place. And with recent happenings in the zoological community, I'm just itching for some like minded company!

More boring stuff below.

I am but a passionate zoo visitor and supporter for the time being. I'll be starting college this fall and hope to enter the biological sciences. I hope to someday have a career in animal care and conservation. I dabble in photography and other forms of art, and enjoy caring for my exotic animals at home; my sun conure and my five land hermit crabs.

Jambo likes this.
  2. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello! I'm olde school zoo visitor / fan / fascinated by every animal different in it's being! When a zoological was nothing like the zoo of today. Those days it was just animals and no agenda's to maintain and or upkeep. I have been to over 50 zoo's maybe in USA and Canada, also many aquariums too! Pictures, geez, I have enough to cover all four walls the ceiling, and floor maybe! Hence my name here my usage of name Black Caiman. An awesome caiman species once seen in Cincinnati, and Columbus Zoo's, today soley found at St. Augustine Alligator Farm, and Central Florida Zoo. Additionally many, many wonderful zoo animal experiences that for me are chilling and made my life. I am self taught and influenced by; Marlin Perkins, Jungle Larry, National Geographic, Wild Kingdom. Also a very special shout out for the late Jungle Larry as well! Hence my love visiting the St. Louis Zoo. Where once visiting there one year I arrived during a MAJOR thunderstorm. Upon bolting into the Reptile Building I discovered to my amazement I had the building ALL to myself. I also noticed that many of the snakes where moving around that day. Later I found out via a keeper that the snakes where influenced by the atmosphere pressure from outside to inside the building influencing there moving. Which I wonder every time I have visited the Toledo Zoo the Taipan in reptile building is always moving about it's enclosure! Back to St. Louis, watched the King Cobra moved through it's exhibit I was so full of joy it R-O-C-K-E-D bad! Additionally I too have had many, many pet's. One of my favorites I inherited where 2 lovebirds whom where sweethearts with their wonderful personalities! I have been controversial due to standing up for animals back in the day, which got be kicked out of being a volunteer at the zoo. An for the first time on the record here for clarification so everyone really knows wasn't nothing to do for shutting down the zoo, rather actually for family encouragement of gorilla's!!! I was ahead of my time. Missed the boat on doing college education for zoology. Though given everything I have learned and experience I find myself educating people on animals in wilderness areas and or outside the zoo! Ex. telling people about California Condors at the Grand Canyon, and sharing a bobcat sighting up close an personal at Yosemite National Park with young gentleman from China ( his visit ever to the Yosemite ), when he left I encouraged him to help others care for Giant Pandas in his country. That blew me away. My love of animals is like being hungry chowing down your morning cereal like one was starving. It's more, so much more than anything glamourized via the net/online. It's reality, and I'm longing still of seeing my first cougar sighting in the wild! I've gotten close, I'm real close. LittleWallaby never stop dreaming, the language of wildlife is very, very truly remarkable and rewarding. Go now and hop to it, cause I STILL both in my feet especially my heart!

Last edited: 15 Jan 2017
  3. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

Hi there! Great to have you here! Love that you own hermit crabs - they're some of my favorites.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ littlewallaby - welcome and great to have you. I enjoy photography (zoo and otherwise) as well.

@ junglejim - why does your message say your username is Black Caiman when the profile pic shows it as junglejim?

5. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to zoochat!

6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Party Little Wallaby! Are you planning to be a professional student like moi?

7. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My mistake Black Caiman is one of my favorite animals typo not user name correct.

8. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Welcome to zoochat Little wallaby.Enjoy your time in this zoological environment.Wish you luck!

BennettL