Join our zoo community

Zoo technology

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mark Becking, 11 Dec 2018.

1. Mark Becking

Mark Becking New Member

Hi everyone
    My company is looking at launching an interactive app designed for museums and zoo's across the world. The app works kind of like a walking tour, using the visitors phone to bring them active content about each of the exhibits as they stop to enjoy it or simply walk past it . Zoo owners can use the statistics about exhibit visits, people direction, etc. to enhance the zoo layout and exhibits.

Also of interest is to us is security at the zoos. Is technology used at your zoo to safeguard visitors. If so, how? If not, how would you like to see this?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of technologies are used at their Zoos? Does your zoo currently have an app and does it work for you?

thanks guys! - looking forward to seeing what's out there in the Zoos of the world.

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you may develop an app scanning QR codes on exhibits, and downloading films or pictoral information about the animals.

I know that zoos are usually obsessed with making exhibits which make visitors stay, and making visitors learn, but are very poor in predicting outcome. As exemplified by several expensive exhibits which did not increase sales of tickets. Maybe you can help here - but pehaps more by scanning peoples mobile signals, rather than an app?

I guess an app identifying animals from the photo (e.g. tropical fish in an aquarium) may be beyond abilities of the current technology. Possibly it will make laugh of a zoo, if e.g. a beach umbrella is identified as a giraffe.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually, a computer IDing an animal from a photograph is very possible.

Merlin Bird ID – Free, instant bird ID help for 3,000+ North, Central, and South American, and European birds

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat!

5. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How is your app going?
    One thing that I think might be extremely beneficial is if the app could bar code the exhibit with additional information that a traditional signage would do, but also translate it into multiple languages. So for example while the signage might be in English -German, French, Japanese etc speakers would get the app in their language