Join our zoo community

"Zoo Time" with Desmond Morris - watching episodes

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Miles Kempton, 16 Feb 2019.

1. Miles Kempton

Miles Kempton New Member

Hi there,

I'm very interested in trying to trace recordings of Zoo Time with Desmond Morris but have so far had little luck. It seems that the BFI holds one or two VHS copies of episodes from the sixties, but nothing extensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions/leads about how to watch original episodes of Zoo Time from the 1950s and 1960s? Or indeed, does anyone know of any footage from the London Zoo of the same period?

Cheers,
    Miles

FBBird likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Try Pathe News on the internet. There are good clips of ZSL and other UK zoos from that 50-60's era when there was an interesting news story. (Zoo Time I don't know how to find out)

Tim May likes this.
  3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A BBC documentary from 1969 "The Zoo in Winter" is available on YouTube; this shows lots of footage from London Zoo (although the commentary from Jonathan Miller is awful).

As "Pertinax" has mentioned, if you google "Pathe News London Zoo" you will find many snippets of newsreel film from London Zoo.

Unfortunately, I don't think any episodes of "Zoo Time" are available; I would love to see them again myself.