Join our zoo community

Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lesley4444, 11 Jul 2011.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Thats me all booked up... this year i am gonna visit -

Chestnut Conservation and Wildlife Center
    Chester Zoo
    Twycross Zoo
    Dudley Zoo or West Midlands Safari Park
    Yorkshire Wildlife Park

Very excited... anyone got any tips? or animals that i must see?

Particularly excited about the possibility of seeing the giant otter cubs and the snow leopard cubs(i know the cubs are not presently out and about yet)

Any information about any of the zoos would be great :)

Lesley

Last edited: 11 Jul 2011
  2. rockyredfearn

rockyredfearn Active Member

hi lesley
    hoping to go to chester zoo and twycross very soon i really want to see the snow leopard cubs to so hopfully they will venture out soon

yorkshire wildlife park is coming along great you must see the tigers sayan and vlad there enclosures are fantastic and the lions are looking amazing new exibits are being built all the time the south american walk through is now open and work on the amur leopards exibit is coming on not sure when they will be on show hopfully soon

enjoy all your zoo trips juliex

3. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Lesley it's possible to do WMSP and Dudley on the same day, so no need to miss one of them out. My advise would be get to WMSP at opening time, do the safari drive around (1 hour should be enough for that), then do the walkthru area, another hour there, grab something to eat, then drive to Dudley, you should be there for approx 2 - 2.30 pm giving you over 2 hours there, which is just enough time to see the place.

4. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Oh thats great... if i can get them both done in the same day that would be wonderful :)

I really want to go to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park mainly to see Vlad... i go to the HWP regularly where he comes from and feel somewhat attached to the cubs...so will be nice to see where he has ended up.. from the pictures it looks like a very impressive enclosure

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I wsa about to suggest exactly this - if you can be at the Safari Park for opening or soon after you should have no problem doing both. The zoo is better for filling up the day so I'd definitely start with WMSP then move to Dudley.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only know about Chestnut & Chester because I have taken a few photos at both places.
    Chestnut needs patience, I usually wander back and forwards - but there are 4 species of otters on show, so you may get them mixed up unless you are good at recognising the species (which isn't that hard) or careful about taking notes. Some of the enclosures are quite shaded, which is a challenge photographically. The owl aviaries are poor for photography, but fox and pine marten shots are possible.
    Chester also involves a lot of walking because there is so much to see. Try to get to the orangs early before the house gets too busy, but the Tsavo aviary gets its best light late in the day. You are more likely to see the tuataras in the afternoon and don't miss the dwarf mongooses or the vicuna babies. If you're interested in a spectacle, the hunting dog feeds should be good if you like that sort of thing (I haven't seen one myself yet) but they don't happen every day, so you'll have to ask.

Alan

7. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

The best things at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park are the Raccoon Dogs!

8. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I love them too :)