Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon Zoo Tycoon Much!!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by ThylacineAlive, 31 Oct 2012.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you're still interested, I edited the document and cut out some stuff. Here it is. I'll probably add a second document for an animal list. I might also put ideas for DLC, themes, and challenges.

2. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Wow MightyOrca that was cool to read. Many of my ideas are very similar (e.g. accreditation, visitor age groups, aviaries, vivariums etc.). I'll be posting something similar but it'll mostly be just notes and not as organized as your document. I'll probably make a species list not of all the species in the game, but more specific groups (e.g. primates, crocodilians, ratites etc.)

Btw I do have Zoo Tycoon on the Xbox 360, which is the limited (and cheaper) version of the game. It's got 65 of the original 101 animal species but otherwise it's not much different. If I were to rank this game out of 10 it'd be a 4.3 I think, as it's a very shallow simulation game with little repeat value. My list of complaints could never end but one is that mini-exhibit animals (meerkats, red pandas, lemurs etc.) do not eat, drink or breed. Each individual has its designated action that it repeats every minute (e.g. a lemur meditates, gets pounced on, chases the other lemur across the exhibit, then repeats.) Another is that exhibits can house no more than two species/subspecies, and mini-exhibits can house a maximum of three animals (strange for social species like flamingos and meerkats).

3. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, I heard it was pretty weak. It's been years since ZT2 was released; you'd think a new game would be MORE advanced, not less.

Here is the still in-progress animal and DLC list. Lots of gaps in it right now, still some sections to add like fish and bugs. I'm considering making yet another document for challenges initially available in the game.

4. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

The doc says you need permission to open it

5. TheMightyOrca

That might be because I left it open on my computer. I just closed it; let me know if it works.

6. Ken E

Ken E Active Member

still asking for permission

7. TheMightyOrca

I don't normally use Google Docs, so I must've accidentally put it on a lock. I'll mess with it.

Edit: Should be viewable now.

8. AverageWalrus

Still needs permission, try Copy Pasting to a new doc

9. TheMightyOrca

Gr, I don't know what I'm doing. It seems it was still set up wrong... Third time's the charm...

10. AverageWalrus

It works now, HUZZAH!

Edit- Slow Lorises are Primates, not Rodents

11. TheMightyOrca

I knew that, must be a typo. Thanks for telling me, I'll correct it.

12. AverageWalrus

Your Welcome :D

13. zooboyabroad

That was one of the best things I've ever read on ZooChat. Right now I'm writing a very long overview of the entire game with lots of details included but for now no animal lists but eventually I'll get to that and DLCs as well.

14. zooboyabroad

Zoo Tycoon Remake

Zoo Tycoon Remake

I figured I'd post this just to give you an idea of the game I am envisioning. More details will follow.

(Note: This overview is a complete work-in-progress and expect me to make updates in the future.)

Overview - An ultra-realistic zoo simulation allowing players to build, manage, and work in zoos. The game will be developed for all next-gen consoles (Xbox One, PS4 etc.) as well as PC and Mac. Graphics and mechanics will be exceptionally realistic and considered truly ‘next-gen’ by all standards.

Multiplayer - Players can connect to any online system depending on their console (e.g. Xbox Live or Internet) to access up to however many servers (haven’t thought of numbers) with up to 20 players maximum. Each server (or lobby I guess in gaming terms) will be its own ‘world’ within the game, with its own zoos that players build. A system will be designed to allow players to find and access a particular server at any time, for example if they want to find a specific zoo another player has built. Players can find jobs at each other’s zoos or in the game’s dozens of pre-set campaign zoos. For example, while the builder of a zoo would be in the position of director, another player could take the role of curator, vet, keeper etc. at that same zoo. Like with any other multiplayer game, a system allows players to chat. In the Freeform mode (described later) players can set challenges on each other, like the ever-so-popular exhibit design challenges on ZooChat.

Avatar - Each player will have his/her own avatar which is fully customizable. Players can create their name, choose between genders, and a broad selection of faces and hair styles will be available. Outfits and a wide variety of accessories can be unlocked at the end of each campaign scenario. Once a certain (large) number of campaign games have been completed, the player unlocks the ability to purchase hundreds of outfits and accessories from every zoo in the game, whether pre-set or player-built. Items from zoos will cost the same price given to visitors, but items from a player’s own zoo will obviously be free of charge.

Modes:

Campaign - This will be the first business simulation game in history to have a feature-length cinematic-style story mode, where the player’s character will travel to zoos and institutions all around the world in dozens of scenarios, focusing around topics such as the ethics of zoos, animal welfare, education, and most of all, conservation. A broad cast of characters will be featured as the player travels across the globe, visiting a selection of the game’s dozens of pre-built zoos and wild places. Cutscenes, like with any other story-driven game will be featured and the player will be taken on a huge assortment of adventures. I decided against including depictions of real-life scenarios from real-life zoos as I would want these scenarios to focus on the game’s own pre-built zoos and institutions. Each zoo will be unlocked once the player has completed the scenario based in it. Players will also unlock animals and different visitor attractions (e.g. camel rides, sky rides, carousels etc.) as they complete scenarios. The campaign mode of this game is still very much under progress and I will continually update it until I feel it is pretty much perfect.

Freeform - Players can access this mode at any time throughout the Campaign mode. Once all the scenarios in Campaign are completed, every animal, location, and special ‘extra’ will be unlocked. This is the primary mode of gameplay, where Multiplayer is accessible and players can explore the diverse and extraordinary world of this game, visiting hundreds pre-built and player-built zoos, managing them, and building yours from relative scratch. There will be many pre-built zoos players can visit and manage that were not featured in the Campaign.

Sandbox - Basically this is where player’s imaginations can go completely wild. It’s the sort of ‘all-out-crazy’ mode fans will demand to have. In here, finances, space, and availability of animals is no issue. Players can build the wackiest zoo of their dreams with animals not found in captivity today not available in Freeform mode. This mode will be updated as DLCs are released, featuring a range of animals not available in Freeform mode that would otherwise not be found in captivity today otherwise (e.g. blue whale, giant squid, megamouth shark etc.).

Mechanics:

Third-person view - The player will be able to their avatar in third-person, with controls enabling them to zoom in, rotate the view, walk, run, or ride in vehicles.

First-person view - This mode allows the player to see through the eyes of their avatar. They can rotate 360 degrees, walk, run or ride sitting in vehicles.

Photography view - This extension of the First-Person View allows the player to use a camera to photograph things in the zoo. Photography-centered scenarios in Campaign mode teach players how to use, upgrade and buy different types of cameras. Cameras double as binoculars with their zoom-up features. There is a much larger focus on photography in this remake than in any of the previous games.

Navigation mode: A map of the zoo the player is in is brought up and the player can click on any unlockable location in the zoo to jump to there. Of course, players can navigate zoos using other means as well (transportation, their own two feet etc.)

15. TheMightyOrca

I intended on having an online multiplayer idea, but couldn't decide how to set it up. I think your idea of little servers with set amounts of zoos works. I didn't want it to be unlimited interaction, since that would make the game too easy for people. But the server idea works. It would especially be cool if people could create their own servers and set up their own limits and rules and everything. Like, people who join have to start with a certain amount of money, or you could run a "sanctuary" server where you could only take rescue animals. And people could even visit each other's zoos as guests.

I was also considering a system where a player could run multiple facilities in a single game.

I also had an idea for an avatar system, but forgot to put it in, ha ha. Granted, mine didn't have much customization beyond hair, skin, and eyes, since it was intended for staff mode and you'd be dressed like a zookeeper all the time. (though the uniform might have your zoo logo on it) But it would be kind of fun if you could dress up at the souvenir carts. If there's a multiplayer mode where you visit other zoos, more customization makes sense, especially if you can buy stuff from other zoos.

I'm going to make a separate document featuring game challenges from the campaign/challenge mode. I'll post when I have more stuff in it.

Also, I'll eventually make an expansion pack, maybe even two. One of them would be an extinct animals theme, from the millions of years old dinosaurs to recently extinct species like the dodo and Stellar's sea cow. One component of the game would be that only recently extinct species could be released to the wild.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2015
    evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. zooboyabroad

Animals:

Variety & Numbers - I plan to include around 101 species total (the same number as the Zoo Tycoon Xbox One version) but with a radically larger variety than that game offered. Mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and invertebrates will all be represented well with large numbers and great variety. This remake will have the greatest species diversity and numbers of any ZT game, as well as dozens of rare species never before featured in the franchise.

Animal Mechanics:

Needs - Needs vary greatly with species. Players will have to create suitable living environments specifically for each species, unlike other ZT games in which you only had to house the animals in the appropriate biome. The need for drinkable water depends on the species, but otherwise, the needs are: food, hygiene and stimulation. Of course, social interaction will be a need for many species, and all needs amount to the overall health of the animal.

Stimulation/Enrichment - One of the primary aspects of animal care in this game will be enrichment. There will be a much larger focus on enrichment in this remake than there has been in any of the other games. Instead of just selecting and placing toys for the animals, players will be able to craft their own enrichment items out of random materials things they find around the zoo. Basic enrichment items can also be bought (boomer balls, PVC pipes, etc.), but using their own creativity to craft special items will save money. Animals will react differently for an enrichment item depending on their species and personality. Players will have the opportunity to experiment with certain animals and certain items; one species might totally ignore an item, another might embrace it. A joy in this Zoo Tycoon that the other games couldn’t provide is that the animals are completely unpredictable, because this game will be more advanced than any of the previous, the animals won’t just be “artwork and lines of code”. The player wouldn’t be able to predict the animal’s behavior. Enrichment could include various toys, live prey, scents, or even rotating habitats. Visitors enjoyment level also rises as they watch animals play and explore.

Personality - Exactly as how MightyOrca said it. No animal will have exactly the same personality.

Age - Also as how MightyOrca described it. Different species have much different lifespans. This will result in some species being difficult to display. Cuttlefish, for example, only have a lifespan of two years, and will need to be replaced often.

Reintroduction to the Wild - Only some vulnerable, endangered, or critically-endangered species can be released to the wild, under the careful supervision of that zoo’s accreditator (e.g. AZA or EAZA). Individuals will have to be selected and proper procedures must be followed.

Note: I am not done with the animal section of this overview.

17. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If anyone was wondering or if maybe someone cam help me out with this but I checked multiple sites and every link for the Radical Remake was removed.

18. AverageWalrus

You must be on the Old Site, here is the new site with the downloads for all of AD's projects http://auroradesigns.bplaced.net/index.html

19. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This was included in "the multiple sites", the Dropbox links are down.

20. AverageWalrus

The Google Drive links arent